Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
So, we are wanting to upgrade our horse trailer to this:

It has an empty weight of 9500lbs.

We use a 2015 chevy silverado 2500hd 4x4 crew cab. It has the 4.10 in it and is rated at 14k for the fifthwheel. Currently we pull a 2003 4h keifer with a 6' shortwall that has an empty weight of around 6k lbs.

I believe its in the trucks capabilities but man, that trailer looks long and fits the needs of what we want.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #2  
Way too much trailer for your truck.

We get cowboys come into town each year for Frontier days with those rigs. All of them are hooked up to at least a one ton dully, and they look too big for those. Most are hooked up to a medium duty lite semi truck.

Those things are heavy, especially once you put a few horses and tac inside.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #3  
Way too much trailer for your truck.

We get cowboys come into town each year for Frontier days with those rigs. All of them are hooked up to at least a one ton dully, and they look too big for those. Most are hooked up to a medium duty lite semi truck.

Those things are heavy, especially once you put a few horses and tac inside.
They would have to consider the water in fresh water tank(s), grey water tank(s), black water tank(s) plus food, clothing, kitchen stuff, etc. for those who are traveling. It all ads up.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #4  
Think I'd loose that truck and get a 1 ton dually. The day I spent 79 grand on a horsey trailer, I'd have a large lump on my head where the wife smacked me with a pot.

You obviously have more money than I do or less sense than I do, or maybe both.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #5  
So, we are wanting to upgrade our horse trailer to this:

It has an empty weight of 9500lbs.

We use a 2015 chevy silverado 2500hd 4x4 crew cab. It has the 4.10 in it and is rated at 14k for the fifthwheel. Currently we pull a 2003 4h keifer with a 6' shortwall that has an empty weight of around 6k lbs.

I believe its in the trucks capabilities but man, that trailer looks long and fits the needs of what we want.
You must also consider the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR). GCWR is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment, and conversions. The GCWR for the vehicle should not be exceeded.

The GCWR for you vehicle is likely around 20,500 lbs.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have
Correct, I believe it is around the 20500lb rate. I know the newer 2500's have a larger towing capability but I'm also looking at how often we tow with 3 horses. 90% of the time we would be hauling 2 horses. One weighs around 1k lbs and the other is around 850lbs. I figure about 1500lbs of cargo including hay and water and everything else. We usually don't go for long stretches of time. I believe the truck itself is 6300lbs, I'll have to look when I get home.

Think I'd loose that truck and get a 1 ton dually. The day I spent 79 grand on a horsey trailer, I'd have a large lump on my head where the wife smacked me with a pot.

You obviously have more money than I do or less sense than I do, or maybe both.
Most likely don't have more money but probably quite a bit less sense. It's partly the wife's idea to get the bigger trailer. She wanted a 4 horse with the same LQ set up. I'm lucky I talked her down to the 3 horse. If she would've listened to me a few years ago then we would have the bigger truck already. So here we are, wanting to trade in our travel trailer and 4 horse weekender for something that'll fill both needs with 1 trailer.

I am slightly concerned but the numbers fit within the specs. I also feel in about 2 or 3 years, we would be upgrading the truck. Might jump into a 1 ton, but if our current can pull this without issue, then no reason to go with 1 ton when the newer 2500s have a higher towing capacity. Just have to make sure it can handle the payload in the bed.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #8  
You will likely find the hitch weight is more than your single tires can handle. That's mostly what one gets with a dually. Weight rating of tires and stability of 8 sidewalls when cornering.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #9  
That's lot trailer for your pickup :eek: HD dually and darn good trailer brakes.

I know it looks big, it's only a few feet longer than our current gooseneck. Our current is 32ft, I believe this one is 38ft overall. The weight is within limits and I can check the tires but I've towed our dump trailer with 5 tons of stone without issue and that's a bumper pull.

I'll double check the specs on the truck for weights on the rear end and try to figure the math for the weight that size trailer will put in the bed too, I've considered airbags to help with stability if needed too..