Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #11  
Correct, I believe it is around the 20500lb rate. I know the newer 2500's have a larger towing capability but I'm also looking at how often we tow with 3 horses. 90% of the time we would be hauling 2 horses. One weighs around 1k lbs and the other is around 850lbs. I figure about 1500lbs of cargo including hay and water and everything else. We usually don't go for long stretches of time. I believe the truck itself is 6300lbs, I'll have to look when I get home.
Also 5th wheels usually will have between 20% - 25 % of the trailers weight on the pin. That means will have between about 2600 lbs and 3200 lbs on the pin. Be sure to consider the rear axles weight rating (usually on a decal somewhere around the drivers side b pillar) and the rating of the tires.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have
The driver side door decal says 2800lbs for cargo. The glove box says 1975lbs for a truck camper... it'll be something I'll have to consider. The truck weighs 6398lbs. The gross combined weight is 20500. Why rate the truck to pull 14k lbs when the bed can't even handle the weight to go in it to pull that..

Our current trailer.

Attachments

• 20230908_191055.jpg
    20230908_191055.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
   / Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #14  
   / Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #15  
I will say that my wife raised Percheron draft horses and would show them and sell them and those nags are all very heavy. We had a tandem axle Moritz stock trailer (GN) and I pulled it all over God's creation with my F350 one ton diesel. Best thing she ever did was get out of the horsey business. Horses are like boats, a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into and horses are the same. I do like the 'gentle giants' they are very docile and easy to handle but we are done. Sold the Moritz and just sold the pickup truck.

I know one thing and that is, your outfit cannot pass a fuel station. Gas and diesel are going up, way up and soon.

We camp and trail ride with ours. For us, that's relaxing and fun and having the ability to wash up afterwards is nice as we get older. I'm sure prices for fuel will keep on the rise but still...maybe I'll switch gears and look at some duallies

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #17  
We have a slide in truck camper that is rarely used anymore. Much nicer to stay in a motel with clean sheets and a Continental breakfast. We own almost 150 acres in northern Michigan, all hardwood, nice trails and plenty of game to shoot. I am very thankful all the horses and livestock is gone.

So looking at newer trucks. The 2021 2500 have payload capability of 3965lbs and towing of 17100...maybe we can do that

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #19  
Gas or diesel? I'd stay away from the gas motors. GM is in love with the sequential cylinder delete and it causes engine failure. Far as the Duramax goes, if I were you, I'd look for a late model RAM with a Cummins and Asian tranny or an Allison. The Allison is bullet proof, you just need to change the fluid and filters on schedule.

RAM suspensions suck but then so does GM suck.

I kept my 97 Ford F350 4x4 4 door long bed and sold it for more than I paid for it new. Ford OBS 7.3 diesels are in very high demand today and mine was the forged rod engine.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #20  
So, we are wanting to upgrade our horse trailer to this:

I believe its in the trucks capabilities but man, that trailer looks long and fits the needs of what we want.
We have a similar Lakota trailer (15 foot sw, 12500 GVWR) with a hay rack. Water and hay for the horses can be a storage problem, Tack plus outside chairs/tables, grill add up too. All said and done I use a 3500 dually and wouldnt trade. Never measured pin weight but she sure does squat when the trailer is on. Airbags resolved that for me.
There are quite a few that show up at the camps we go to that have similar set ups using a 2500 so I guess it can be done.