Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #31  
Use softeners cut from old belting/tires etc

If I have to keep up with bits of rubber and worry if they've fallen out and ruined my strap. How about I just hook a chain and be done with it?

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #32  
Thank each of you for your info. WM75guy, that company looks to have what I am looking for. Not a professional CDL person but if straps are not DOT legal here...well DOT must not be working. See them on all kinds of loads, hay for certain, concrete drainage tile, all kinds of building supplies and yes heavy equipment. I do agree sharp edges are serious concern when using straps on anything, even the trailer's edges.

But you all did bring a thought to me, fire hose over my chains...
We often used chunks of old fire hose on boat lines as protection against chaffing. Works like a charm.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #33  
From Quora

“how much energy is produced from a 3,000 pound car traveling at 70 mph?”.
E = 0.5mv^2
pounds= lb
m= mass
v= velocity
m= weight divided by acceleration due to gravity, which I will round off to 32.15 f/s
f/s^2= feet per second squared
70 mph= 102.67 f/s rounded
E= 0.5(3,000 lb/ 32.15 f/s^2)(102.67 f/s)^2 = 491,810 foot pounds of energy, rounded.

A 3,000 lb car traveling at 70 mph is producing 491,810 ftlb of energy

I'll stick with chains.
You'll stick with chains? Based on what ? Well, I suppose I can't let that one go. You are using the wrong formula. E = mv squared is at best confusing plus just useless and not relevant in this circumstance. Try good old F=ma instead. It is FORCE that matters, not "energy." None of the readers of this have any idea what "energy" might mean in the context of tying down a load to avoid movement and damage. I guess I'll go ahead and say it -- you don't either.

Deceleration of some load from say 70 mph to zero over some short period of time produces FORCE. The force is the deceleration times the mass. It is force that chain or rope or straps or whatever have to contend with in restraining the load. Not "energy" whatever that nebulous term means in this context.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #34  
Hey, I had physics too. "Things at rest tend to stay at rest"...e.g. old TBN members. And "Things in motion tend to stay in motion"..e.g. tractors not tied down properly.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Mike

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #35  
A grade 70 chain is absolutely stronger than a strap. I’ve never seen a grade 70 chain be cut by a load. Can you get by with straps hauling a tractor? Sure, probably most of the time. Am I ever going to? No. I have chains and binders and I’m crazy averse to being killed or being sued or charged for negligently killing someone else.

That’s painting everything with one brush. There’s plenty of straps stronger than a chain. But I do agree with cutting straps. That’s the biggest problem with them.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #36  
How can anyone argue chains vs straps without addressing the weight of the tractor? My Max 26xl with FEL and hoe weighs about 3200#. I use 4 straps that are rated WLL 3300# + each. Axle straps and strapped left to right, right to left in the rear. Axle straps and strapped left to left and right to right in the front. FEL and hoe are on the deck and strapped also. Am I doing something wrong?

If I was hauling the old Farmall M I would probably look into chains but haven't had to do that yet.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor
Some very interesting thoughts shared here. I hauled my Kubota L606 with cab yesterday now a great load and used 3/8 gold chain on rear and 5/16 chain on front with the threaded binders. What a lot of work but it was bound. Hauled it to Kubota dealer for a failed fuel gauge. Ask them what they use and was quickly greeted by Owner and Sales and Shop Foreman with straps in South Carolina. In North Carolina more so chains. They did give some difference there based upon the load. Which is summed up basically what I read here.

One thing I did decide yesterday my first time using the screw type binders, wish had bought the higher priced ones you use cordless drills to run down. Bout wore me out. Do think will be going with fire hose over chain and binders for fact on the rear for stopping but not sure on the front.

Maybe I am wrong on this but as to hauling steel beams to me straps would be best option as it seems they will stick to the beam where a chain would not to help prevent it sliding while being hauled or stopping. As to (think it was called) stop chains never paid that kind of attention to how beams or steel is hauled. I thought they used trailer with a front on it. Oh well, I do.

Again each thought and comment has value if nothing else it causes one to think and Lord knows there is a shortage of that in today's world. KT

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #38  
IMG_6846.jpg

Chains are generally used for dynamic loads (equipment with tires/tracks). Straps are generally used for static loads, like these steel beams I fastened before the trip. You’ll note that the edges where the straps rests on have corner protectors and cut section of used straps. Wood don’t generally require them unless it has sharp edges.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #40  
I don’t think it’s going anywhere, change my mind.
32AE275C-A523-4F77-979F-FF62324EEFAE.jpeg