Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #11  
Only thing that gets straps here are round bales. I Always use grade 80 transport chain and ratchet binders for the tractors when transporting them.
Frankly I cant understand this chain fetish :rolleyes:

Yesterday was in Netherlands, noticed this truck and took pic for you all
E3D2A3DA-D9A9-4DDE-B067-3C7050171BF9_1_105_c.jpeg

3D41023D-279D-4130-984D-4BB7331395E3_1_105_c.jpeg

I guess in US driver with so tied cargo goes straight to jail ?

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #13  
   / Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor
Thank each of you for your info. WM75guy, that company looks to have what I am looking for. Not a professional CDL person but if straps are not DOT legal here...well DOT must not be working. See them on all kinds of loads, hay for certain, concrete drainage tile, all kinds of building supplies and yes heavy equipment. I do agree sharp edges are serious concern when using straps on anything, even the trailer's edges.

But you all did bring a thought to me, fire hose over my chains...

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #15  
This is no longer correct. The strap can be an size as long as it has a WLL, working load limit, marked on it. I was just DOTed yesterday. Six 2 inch straps on 10,006 pounds of plastic deck boards. Each strap is rated at 3,333 pounds WLL.
Different regs for rolling equipment than for building materials. Deck boards don’t have wheels on them. In any case, why put yourself in a possible negligence situation when you can use chains and binders and be sure they aren’t going to fail?

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #16  
Pay attention to the long haul 18 wheelers. The large 4" wide straps with heavy steel (not hooks) ends are common. The ratchets are available at my TSC and other stores to be welded or bolted on to your trailer or convenient location. They usually tighten with a tire iron or similar and are made of 3/8" steel or better. But those same gurus driving 18 wheelers also seem to nearly always use chain and tighteners for tractors and heavy steel stuff as opposed to boards and bags and packages. I am told the old over-center chain tighteners are no longer "legal" and one must use the PITA threaded turning type. I throw out a few points of opinion not caring where they fall ...
1) I've never been stopped while hauling in 30 years of not very frequent experience. Doubt I ever will be.
2) DOT inspectors are looking mainly for obvious offenders, not you guys trying to move a farm tractor. They are in general not going to bother you.
3) Serious day-in-day-out haulers pick their tie downs based on what they are hauling. Straps if they work well, chains if they think it is better.
4) I do not give a crap what DOT inspectors or State Police or other patrol folks think or do. Worst case I pay their fines. What I really care about is that the load I am hauling is not going to come through the cab at me. And secondarily that it not be bouncing loose around the trailer bed. So the chain or the straps I choose are based on the weight of the object that may be moving at 70 mph in my rearview mirror when I hit something. If my own criteria is met, the inspectors criteria will also be met and exceeded in almost every case. Honestly I do not care what their criteria is, I care about protecting me and that automatically protects others nearby.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #17  
Different regs for rolling equipment than for building materials. Deck boards don’t have wheels on them. In any case, why put yourself in a possible negligence situation when you can use chains and binders and be sure they aren’t going to fail?
There are only a few instances that a chain is required. Otherwise any type of strap or chain is correct as long as the WLL is correct.

I often see steel I-beams tied down with straps. Often there is not even a corner protector between the strap and the I-beam. I believe that is were a chain is much better then a strap. There are many loads of I-beams and similar cargo running down the road without the holdback chain across the front of the trailer.

My dad, an EMT/firefighter, had to remove the body of a trucker who failed to use the hold back chain on a load of flat plate steel. He came out of the cab in two pieces.

Soft or bulk loads will not tolerate a chain and binder as well as a strap. I have hauled several loads of the flat polystyrene roof insulation that requires straps instead of chains.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #18  
For hauling vehicles/tractors and the like, I like chains in the rear of the load with straps in the front pulling it forward against the chains. Keeps things tight, and the chains are there in case of a sudden unplanned stop against something hard. Chains have very little give, of course, so straps in front allow for a bit of takeup if loads shift, tires lose air, etc. For wood and the like, of course, all straps make more sense.

If I moved fancy vehicles, I'd use heavy axle straps connected to chains in the rear.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #20  
From Quora

“how much energy is produced from a 3,000 pound car traveling at 70 mph?”.
E = 0.5mv^2
pounds= lb
m= mass
v= velocity
m= weight divided by acceleration due to gravity, which I will round off to 32.15 f/s
f/s^2= feet per second squared
70 mph= 102.67 f/s rounded
E= 0.5(3,000 lb/ 32.15 f/s^2)(102.67 f/s)^2 = 491,810 foot pounds of energy, rounded.

A 3,000 lb car traveling at 70 mph is producing 491,810 ftlb of energy

I'll stick with chains.