Tier 4 info

/ Tier 4 info #2  
I don't have the patience to research and understand all of that. I'm just glad I've got a Tier 3 tractor and don't have to worry about it. I'm old enough that I hope to never have to buy a new tractor with all the Tier 4 stuff on it.

/ Tier 4 info #3  
And I like that chopping hay with the same model and year chopper, I chop 30% more hay per day with my 118 PTO HP Tier IV interim with DPF, DOC, HPCR and CEGR than my brother-in-law with his non-emissions controlled 145 PTO HP tractor, and use less fuel per chopper box. Unfortunately his grandkids want to ride with me because grandpa's tractor stinks.

/ Tier 4 info #4  
There have been so few (any?) issues reported with the tractor emissions system on this board, I'm surprised this is still a debate. The technology is not new and has been in trucks for a while now.

/ Tier 4 info #5  
They have been around for a while just ask anyone with a Ford 6.0 or 6.4

/ Tier 4 info #6  
On highway standards approximately equivalent to off-highway Tier4 interim and Tier 4 final have been in place for several years and they have had problems from which off highway learned lessons. I have seen people on this hoard say that some Kubota tractors did not regenerate like they were supposed to and needed a modification. Other than that pretty much silent but lots of fear. Maybe others have heard different. I have one DPF equipped tractor (completing second year) and know of 3 neighbors. No problems but small sample. Longest hour usage of those 4 tractors is now approaching 1700.

/ Tier 4 info #7  
6.0 powerstrokes are basically unrelated, they had an egr system and a catalytic converter much like a gasoline engine. 6.4's, on the other hand, did have a dpf system that are prone to failure but were early enough that they probably hadn't worked the kinks out of the technology. They were put on the market 6 years ago.

I haven't read the link yet since I'm on my phone when I found this thread. And I really don't have any valuable input, other than to say that in the hundred hours that I've put on my 32 hp kubota L3301, 3 or 4 regens, I haven't had any problems. Tractor always runs smooth as silk, no obnoxious fumes, not a fuel hog in my opinion. I've been pretty impressed, even though it's my first tractor and I have nothing other than my automotive diesel mechanic experience to judge off of. My only complaint is that it never fails, it wants to regen either late when I'm getting ready to shut down, or when I'm nearly out of fuel.

My only potential concern is for the future. Not sure the life expectancy of the dpf. And being a mechanic, it's uncomfortable for me to know that I can't access the electronics to diagnose my own machine. And the regen process requires several minutes of high, unloaded rpm's. What happens when the machine is old and on its "last leg" and asks for a regen? Might do it in. But that's a long time from now. For now, I'll just remain happy with my properly operating purchase

/ Tier 4 info #8  
My apologies, I said 6 liters are unrelated. When I think of the tractor tier 4 subject, I think of the dpf. If you are including all emissions equipment, then yes, it is related. I'm too ignorant on the tractor portion of this subject. When I bought the rig, I was made aware of the dpf, but nothing else. So I don't know what other emissions components they might be running

/ Tier 4 info #9  
Not sure the life expectancy of the dpf.

two versions. sealed versions - 5000 hours (Kubota B & F), split containers that can be rebuilt ($300-600 is what we are hearing) are 3500 hours.

it would make sense that this would vary depending how slow the customer is running the engine. Heat is your friend.

/ Tier 4 info #10  
If you Google the firms that clean the ash out of DPFs a lot of the cost depends on how you treat the machine. My Kubota manual says to clean the ash out of the DPF at 3,000 hours but also states it depends on how you use the machine. I have seen costs at about $200 for a basic cleaning. It does state if regens come to quickly it is time to clean. I'm curious to know what the norm will be but our 2 John Deere dealers and 1 Kubota dealer with whom we do business have yet to work on a DPF.