TIER 4 Questions

/ TIER 4 Questions #21  
Fortunately you are considering a newer LS which only regens about every 50 hours or so. I have an older LS that regens about every 5 hours. That's how they were designed. Mine is a 2014 and has been using home heating oil (dyed diesel) for its entire life without any problems just as my previous tractor did for the 10 years I had it. Currently has about 360 hours. I do treat my fuel with Power Service (white bottle) which has a Cetane booster plus displaces water. Fuel is pumped through a 5 micron filter. I don't think you'll have any problems. I also operate mine between 2000-2600 RPM's.

/ TIER 4 Questions #22  
My tractors run on undyed fuel if I buy from the pump to fill my fuel trailer and undyed when filled at the farm at my nephews. Few off-highway customers at the pump in town. Most get theirs delivered on site, like my nephew, 1,000 gallons every few days. When I have used dyed from the station, I often have fuel problems - water separator/fuel filter plugging. No problem when I use on-highway from the station. Also no problem when I use dyed from my nephew. Absolutely no difference in regen time on my M7 which gets fuel from the farm half the time and fuel from the fuel trailer (undyed) the other half.

/ TIER 4 Questions #23  
Use ULSD, run within 80% to rated rpm, dont idle around, should have no worries.

Tier 4 on a CUT is not bad because your running them hot enough doing most PTO tasks, like cutting the lawn.

Run it like a power tool and not like a museum piece and you will be fine.

We had a strech of -40C and I got behind an old 12 valve, I soon realized there are some definite positives to emission control. Raw diesel exhaust sure is amplified if you have not smelled it in years.

/ TIER 4 Questions #24  
I do treat my fuel with Power Service (white bottle) which has a Cetane booster plus displaces water.
Neither PS white or silver advertise any benefit to water in fuel, that's the only negative I see with it.

/ TIER 4 Questions #26  
I am just about ready to buy an MT342H. Would like to keep it as my retirement tractor.

Will most likely put 100 to 150 hours per year on it & always stored in a shed.

However, I am more than concerned with regens / tier 4 issues.

Current understanding is to use road grade diesel and not off-road diesel to minimize regens.
This is supposed to more than double the time between regens - but still will have lots of regens to look forward to.

How is everyone dealing with tier 4 for the long term?

TIA

Yooper Dave
At 42 HP, does that tractor use DEF and does it Regen?

Some brands go all the way up to 70HP without using DEF or having it Regen because they use a DPF instead. The DPF acts like a catalytic converter and you never do anything with it, and there isn't anything to worry about failing. Basically it's like a second muffler on your exhaust system to catch what didn't burn in the engine. No moving parts, just a honeycomb inside a tube.

In my opinion, it's just a matter of time until Tier4 tractors with Regen will need attention. Doesn't really matter how many times it worked, it's the time that it doesn't that will hurt you.

/ TIER 4 Questions #27  
But the honeycomb eventually becomes more and more clogged and it fails.

/ TIER 4 Questions #28  
I'm new to DPF and haven't heard about them failing. It makes sense that eventually everything fails. Is there a computer that shuts down the tractor if it's plugged up like it does if the Regen doesn't work properly? What happens if you just take out the DPF and throw it away?

/ TIER 4 Questions #29  
I'm new to DPF and haven't heard about them failing. It makes sense that eventually everything fails. Is there a computer that shuts down the tractor if it's plugged up like it does if the Regen doesn't work properly? What happens if you just take out the DPF and throw it away?
Yes the computer shuts it down if its plugged and most definitely will render your tractor dead as a door nail if you remove it, UNLESS you have it deleted with devices added to “trick” the computer that its still there.

/ TIER 4 Questions #30  
Yes the computer shuts it down if its plugged and most definitely will render your tractor dead as a door nail if you remove it, UNLESS you have it deleted with devices added to “trick” the computer that its still there.
Why would removing it or hollowing it out stop it, not enough back pressure on one of the sensors?

Someone posted drill a few holes through it so it can breath again so maybe you have to drill just the right number and size so there is sufficient back pressure??

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the emissions equipment staying in place and functioning properly, but I'm seeing more and more people have issues on all color of tractors and the cost to have it fixed is ridiculous!