TIER 4 Questions

/ TIER 4 Questions #31  
Yes the computer shuts it down if its plugged and most definitely will render your tractor dead as a door nail if you remove it, UNLESS you have it deleted with devices added to “trick” the computer that its still there.
Is it the same as replacing a catalytic converter on a gas engine car? I've only had to do that once in my lifetime, and it was just like replacing a muffler.

On average, would you guess that the DPF lasts thousands of hours, or is it more in the hundreds of hours of normal use?

/ TIER 4 Questions #32  
Is it the same as replacing a catalytic converter on a gas engine car? I've only had to do that once in my lifetime, and it was just like replacing a muffler.

On average, would you guess that the DPF lasts thousands of hours, or is it more in the hundreds of hours of normal use?
Its more complicated because a DPF has sensors and fuel system components tied to it. It can be more expensive. Probably in the $500-$2000 range depending on the machine.
Best guess??? 2000 hours unless you use the machine improperly or defective from factory, but Im sure theres more that go longer. Really tough to estimate.
You have to look at it as considerably more complicated and expensive than a Cat and muffler. Its a pollution particulate control “system” layered on top of your machine thats being monitored by your ECM computer and fuel system.

/ TIER 4 Questions #33  
At 42 HP, does that tractor use DEF and does it Regen?

Some brands go all the way up to 70HP without using DEF or having it Regen because they use a DPF instead. The DPF acts like a catalytic converter and you never do anything with it, and there isn't anything to worry about failing. Basically it's like a second muffler on your exhaust system to catch what didn't burn in the engine. No moving parts, just a honeycomb inside a tube.

In my opinion, it's just a matter of time until Tier4 tractors with Regen will need attention. Doesn't really matter how many times it worked, it's the time that it doesn't that will hurt you.

You are thinking of a DOC or diesel oxidation catalyst which most of the tier 4 tractors have and require no attention from the operator just like a catalytic converter on a gas car. The DPF or diesel particulate filter is the same principle of an air filter. It catches and stores the soot from diesel combustion untill the soot loading gets high enough to trigger a Regen process. The computer fires the fuel injectors on the exhaust stroke to put raw diesel into the DPF to raise the temperature high enough to burn all the soot to nothing. That is how it works on common rail systems. I have no idea how the mechanical diesels do it.

/ TIER 4 Questions #35  
Why would removing it or hollowing it out stop it, not enough back pressure on one of the sensors?

Someone posted drill a few holes through it so it can breath again so maybe you have to drill just the right number and size so there is sufficient back pressure??

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the emissions equipment staying in place and functioning properly, but I'm seeing more and more people have issues on all color of tractors and the cost to have it fixed is ridiculous!

The DPF uses a DPF (Delta Pressure Feedback) sensor that uses a reference pressure from atmosphere then take a constant reading of the pre DPF pressure and the post DPF pressure. This sensor determines the soot load and when Regen is needed. That's why depending on your use and care of the engine correlates to time between and the length of burn time for regens. There are usually at least two EGT sensors in the exhaust to monitor the DOC for efficiently and to monitor the DPF during Regen. So yes, if you remove all those sensors and DOC/DPF your computer will freak out and keep the engine in reduced power mode.

Like others have said, you would have to have the computer flashed to remove these inputs.

/ TIER 4 Questions #36  
I don't even know where to buy the off-road diesel around where we live and its farm country. I'm sure there's a place.
We have a T&A (always thought was **** and ass :D) truck stop down the hill. It gets a ton of traffic.
I use the road diesel and wait to fill up tanks after beginning of December and add a ounce of fuel treatment every tank.

My first re-gen was at 48.5 hrs in the middle of plowing snow. The only thing I noticed was more heat coming from the exhaust as it was melting the snow on my bucket which it did not do when not in re-gen.

This tractor gets such good fuel mileage, I'm not gonna sweat paying a little more knowing I know the diesel I get is the same as all the over the road guys are using and the T/A gets a ton of business.

/ TIER 4 Questions #37  
I don't even know where to buy the off-road diesel around where we live and its farm country. I'm sure there's a place.
We have a T&A (always thought was **** and ass :D) truck stop down the hill. It gets a ton of traffic.
I use the road diesel and wait to fill up tanks after beginning of December and add a ounce of fuel treatment every tank.

My first re-gen was at 48.5 hrs in the middle of plowing snow. The only thing I noticed was more heat coming from the exhaust as it was melting the snow on my bucket which it did not do when not in re-gen.

This tractor gets such good fuel mileage, I'm not gonna sweat paying a little more knowing I know the diesel I get is the same as all the over the road guys are using and the T/A gets a ton of business.
I been through 4 regen cycles on LS3135 with 165 hours. Primary use has been FEL work and backhoe. I have found when running tractor above 2k RPM the regen time is reduced. I have been burning pilot truck stop diesel. The fuel is fresh and I am only using 5 gallons at time. Keeping fuel around invites moisture. Replaced fuel filter only realizing it could have gone another year no water issues. Run tractor once a month in winter for 30 minutes at low to high RPMs then idle down for 3 minutes to cool off turbo. Need to push oil in engine to keep cylinders wet and keep mice at bay. Use cab fresh in cab to keep mice at bay. Also use moth balls in motor area mice hate mothballs.

/ TIER 4 Questions #38  
I am just about ready to buy an MT342H. Would like to keep it as my retirement tractor.

Will most likely put 100 to 150 hours per year on it & always stored in a shed.

However, I am more than concerned with regens / tier 4 issues.

Current understanding is to use road grade diesel and not off-road diesel to minimize regens.
This is supposed to more than double the time between regens - but still will have lots of regens to look forward to.

How is everyone dealing with tier 4 for the long term?

TIA

Yooper Dave
Beyond the dye added there is zero....0 difference between clear or dyed fuel period. And tier 4 off road engines are burning dyed fuel everyday in every industry for ever. Do you think the wheat farmer planting and harvesting 1000s of acres is using clear fuel? No he is not and likely by now he has all tier 4 engines in his fleet. Buy your fuel ,dyed or clear, from a distributor that goes through lots of it. Fuel sitting in storage for a long long time will get water and just as bad algae growing in it. Get your fuel from a card lock where trucks/fleets fill up. That is the best advice I can give you
As far as regen time....whats that? Are you supposed to stop? On any class 8 truck I drove a little idiot light came on in the dash.....maybe a little power loss. Stop.....only at risk to ongoing employment