TIER 4 Questions

/ TIER 4 Questions #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
I am just about ready to buy an MT342H. Would like to keep it as my retirement tractor.

Will most likely put 100 to 150 hours per year on it & always stored in a shed.

However, I am more than concerned with regens / tier 4 issues.

Current understanding is to use road grade diesel and not off-road diesel to minimize regens.
This is supposed to more than double the time between regens - but still will have lots of regens to look forward to.

How is everyone dealing with tier 4 for the long term?

TIA

Yooper Dave

/ TIER 4 Questions #2  
I am just about ready to buy an MT342H. Would like to keep it as my retirement tractor.

Will most likely put 100 to 150 hours per year on it & always stored in a shed.

However, I am more than concerned with regens / tier 4 issues.

Current understanding is to use road grade diesel and not off-road diesel to minimize regens.
This is supposed to more than double the time between regens - but still will have lots of regens to look forward to.

How is everyone dealing with tier 4 for the long term?

TIA

Yooper Dave
I brought this topic up myself when I purchased off road diesel with water.I had a rental excavator it threw a fit several filters changes a mess to say the least.Service tech told me to stay with on road that it’s filtered better than off road same sulfur level. I personally run on road I do about 200 hrs a year so far my L4701 does seem to regen less than when off road was in it. Many run off road with no problems I would make sure your source moves a lot of fuel.

/ TIER 4 Questions #4  
Where did this myth come from. I've been operating and maintaining tractors for 50 years and I have never pumped a gallon of road diesel in anything and never had any fuel issues. The majority of the problems with fuel is how the user stores it. Not how it was when they bought it. The fuels are the same.

/ TIER 4 Questions #5  
Exactly. Off road machinery can cost hundreds of thousands even millions of dollars. FAR more than on road machinery. They want their engines protected even more so since all off road machinery is used to make a living.

/ TIER 4 Questions #6  
340 hours and 7 regens in the last 17 months. All on road diesel treated with Power Service products year-round. Mix of auto throttle and PTO along with full throttle with BH. I watch the DPF % when getting into the 90’s. High throttle definitely lowers the DPF %. I’d have less regens if operated high all the time.

Regens have been painless, lasts 15-20 minutes. IMO get the tractor you need regardless of Tier IV. 👊

/ TIER 4 Questions #7  
My JD has over 200 hours and hasn't regened yet. I keep the RPMs up all the time, above 1200, and most importantly I do several tasks that load my tractor up quite well. It's not uncommon to see it loaded above 75%.

/ TIER 4 Questions #8  
Agree with road vs off road diesel. I only use about 300 gallons per year, so I just buy the road diesel.
As far as dpf regens, I have gone through 12 seamless regens over the past 600 hours for an average of 50h between. They last between 12-15 minutes, and all have been while working (no parked regens).

/ TIER 4 Questions #9  
Where did this myth come from. I've been operating and maintaining tractors for 50 years and I have never pumped a gallon of road diesel in anything and never had any fuel issues. The majority of the problems with fuel is how the user stores it. Not how it was when they bought it. The fuels are the same.
Didn’t claim they where different the claim was on how they are filtered !!!

/ TIER 4 Questions #10  
my LS dealer recommends on road diesel, they had a few tractors with fuel issues and the only thing they could find in common was red diesel. They did some testing but nothing conclusive was noted, but they continue to recommend road diesel. Along with that, I am one of the few with regen issues. 250hrs and 16+ regens most within the last 150hrs, detail here What did you do on or to your LS Tractor today?