Time for a new portable generator

/ Time for a new portable generator #101  
everyone here has their own transformer. mine sits in my front yard by the 400 amp service main.

/ Time for a new portable generator #103  
everyone here has their own transformer. mine sits in my front yard by the 400 amp service main.
guess its a distance thing, makes sense now that i think about it. most of our neighbors are pretty close.

/ Time for a new portable generator #104  
i had one customer , a few years back, that used his portable gen with a suicide cord WITHOUT A MANUAL INTERLOCK... did it for years without any issues.

i got involved as i sold him and installed a new auto start backup generator. reason he bought it was because he forgot to unplug generator, and forgot to shut off main breaker, when power came back up. blew the generator to pieces.
I do the connection manually, without any sort of interlock.
I have an identical checklist attached to both the generator, and the service entrance box.
I am the ONLY person to use the generator!
I spent my entire working life using checklists, and in 30,000 hours never once landed gear up!

/ Time for a new portable generator #105  
but seriously, an interlock is about $69.00

/ Time for a new portable generator #107  
You can always find a CO2/propane sensor at an RV online store.

Those on an RV have a 7-year shelf life if I remember correctly. There will be a label on the back to verify that. IF you have one, look on the back to see if it has expired. You can also test it by triggering a bbq or cig lighter. Light it up, blow it out but continue to depress the button.

Also, they tend to get gummed up if there are aerosol cans being used in the area. PAM spray, hair spray etc. will set them off but also degrade them faster.
Be safe everyone.

Just replaced mine in the rv. Trouble is the new one i ordered online is already 3-4 yrs old. 🤬

/ Time for a new portable generator #108  
Just replaced mine in the rv. Trouble is the new one i ordered online is already 3-4 yrs old. 🤬
I know returns are a pain and sometimes can't be done but I would complain about it being 50% used up. At the least, they should let you keep it and return the full amount. That sucks. I can almost guess where it was bought.

That said, you have a functioning, life-saving device and that is priceless.

/ Time for a new portable generator #109  
just tested the 21 year old propane detector in the rv, went off with no trouble. good to go i guess

/ Time for a new portable generator #110