Tip of the day.

/ Tip of the day. #51  
Paint Pens work great for filters and rims also. More permanent than a Sharpie but still comes off with brake cleaner.
Sharpie makes several variants of pen inks. The ones most people use have water based inks in them and not all that durable but we buy the more permanent industrial ones. If someone knows of a better marker, please post it.

-------------------------------------
All other Sharpie ink colors are Permchrome ink. For these the principle solvents are also alcohols, but no glycol ethers are used. A marker can be classified as a permanent marker if it: Adheres to most surfaces and/or is water resistant.

or

Main Chemicals, Compounds, Components
this does not cover the Permchrome ink

In a permanent parker like a sharpie the nasty smell is organic chemicals such as: xylene, and then solvent of their choice such as: alcohol, ethanol or isopropanol, ethylene glycol monobutyl. There is at least propanol, butanol, and diacetone. Therefore resin or polymer is added as a "binder" that promotes adhesion. Permchrome ink has the alcohol but not glycol ether.

• Alcohol: hydroxyl functional group (-O H) combines with a carbon atom, Ethanol: (C2H5OH) Isopropanol: common compound with molecular formula, C3H8O or C3H7OH, Ethylene glycol: HO+OH, ethane-1,2-diol,
    • Alcohol or ethanol or isopropanol is the solvent, it makes it smell better
  • Ethylene Glycol monobutyl evaporates quickly

Last edited:
   / Tip of the day. #52  
I use a permanent marker to write the tire pressure on the inside of tire rims. Tractor, Gator (front and back different), 2 double axel trailers, ZTR.... Just cannot remember and hard to read pressure without finding my glasses!
Same here.

/ Tip of the day.
Dixon Redimark is what we used for writing on lath for construction staking.

/ Tip of the day. #55  
We go through more than 1 gallon of bar oil per year and that is exactly what we do. That is, take a knife and make a slot cut in the can seal for highly controllable pours. I'll post a pic if I can get one.
I've never had a problem with bar oil. It always seems to pour like molasses in January when it's colder than 20f. I'll skip your tip.

/ Tip of the day. #57  
I've never had a problem with bar oil. It always seems to pour like molasses in January when it's colder than 20f. I'll skip your tip.
Seen here is cool temp oil which we've already switched to this fall. The summer oil comes in a orange jug. Who doesn't swtich to cooler oil in the fall? :unsure:

P1130373.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tip of the day. #58  
This one I learned from a friend when I bought a car from him and he had a couple airline barf bags in the glove box. He kept them there due to the 10 second gap between a kid saying "I don't feel good" and throwing up in the car. I took a couple from a few flights and have kept them in the glove box of our cars ever since. Although, I have upgraded to some of the newer ones from the hospital. Anytime a kid or grandkid, or anyone else says "I don't feel good" they get one handed to them. Has saved some car cleaning!

/ Tip of the day. #59  
The inner plastic bags of Boxed Wine, make excellent Hot Water Bottles.

/ Tip of the day. #60  
When I change oil in vehicles I dump the new oil in the engine, put the lid back on the container, and the find a place under the hood to place it upside down for a couple minutes. This gets most of the residual oil down to the cap and then I dump it in the engine. Not a large amount but I figure it’s better in my engine than in the landfill.
I do that with my chainsaw bar/chain oil. empty gallong cans sit arund until I have aroun 6 then they go on a funnel into an 'empty'. I have gotten as mush as helf a pint out or 6 or 8.