Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains #1  

Moxie 15

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ferguson TE-A20
I am in need of chains for my garden tractor. I guess I need to state some background. We retired a few years ago and bought an abandoned farmhouse on ten acres. Money is far tighter than we ever expected so nearly everything is 'find a way' the cheaper the better. The $100 or so for new chains is not in the budget so I made a 'set'.

My problem is that I put them on as tight as I can get them and they slide sideways on the tire. Do they need to be wider, narrower or some other thing?

/ Tire Chains #2  
picture?

/ Tire Chains
here is a pic.I hope

Attachments

• 20211207_145902.jpg
    20211207_145902.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 185
   / Tire Chains #5  
Chains can be rough getting set correctly. I'm assuming that picture is after the chain has slide half way off the tire.
I issue is the heavy chain does not have enough links per foot to lay properly on the tire.
Although I dislike them bungee cords on the outside side can help in some cases.
Some where in my used parts and pieces I have a set of two linked chains that came off a little Ford LGT.
sent you a PM

/ Tire Chains
The chain in the picture is heavier than the one on the other tire. This chain measured 13.75" wide and looked to be a good fit for a 10" wide tire. The chain on the other side is thinner and is doing the same thing. I have almost no experience with tire chains so I am shooting in the dark on width .

/ Tire Chains #7  
Need a pic of your install Before sliding off

/ Tire Chains #8  
Just use rubber bungee cords on the outside to snug them up. Shouldn't have any issues - not like you're going to be driving down the road at 30 mph......

you want to first pull the chains so that they are tight on the inside of the tire, then bungees on the outside to keep them tight.

Won't be pretty looking, but who cares.

can also look on your local Craigslist for better sized chains that are cheap.

/ Tire Chains #9  
I am in need of chains for my garden tractor. I guess I need to state some background. We retired a few years ago and bought an abandoned farmhouse on ten acres. Money is far tighter than we ever expected so nearly everything is 'find a way' the cheaper the better. The $100 or so for new chains is not in the budget so I made a 'set'.

My problem is that I put them on as tight as I can get them and they slide sideways on the tire. Do they need to be wider, narrower or some other thing?
Sure don’t look like homemade chains