Tire Chains

/ Tire Chains
Sure don’t look like homemade chains
I Have a pile of 12 or so broken tire chains that I picked up as scrap metal and kept them thinking they may be useful, and I have found several uses for them so far. The one pictured is the largest of the pile and I just had to cut it shorter. The other is made from two smaller gauge chains that I had to combine to make wider and then cut shorter. They are both doing the same thing so I expect that they have the same problem

/ Tire Chains #12  
The chains need to fit the tire size properly. Then, yes, use rubber bungee cords. Outside and inside, so they are symmetrical. Use two bungees on each "side" of the wheel (so eight bungees on two wheels).

Picture a square inside the circle formed by the chain, when its correctly installed (somewhere around the size of the rim). Hook two of the bungee hooks right next to each other on the chain circle, with the bungees pointed away from each other - that's the first corner. Loop both bungees through the chain circle at what would be the next two corners of the square, and then hook the two bungees together on the chain circle again at the forth corner. It should be possible to do this on the inside of the wheels as well. The chains will stay put this way.

Look for anything which could catch them. And, if the tractor has the fuel tank inside a back fender, be very sure that the chains won't beat on the fuel tank when the spin up.

/ Tire Chains #13  
What I have found helpful when putting chains on my garden tractors is release most of the pressure before cinching the chains as tight as possible. then refill to recommended pressure. The added pressure will round the tire some more and help remedy the sideways creep. Also, although the bungee cord will help some, I find that baler twine tied up in a crisscross pattern works at least as well and is more resistant to the elements and tension fatigue of the elastic.

/ Tire Chains #14  
If you can, Jack up the wheel so the tire is off the ground, deflate the tire, snug up the chains and rear-inflate

/ Tire Chains #15  
Afraid I do not agree with the Bungee cord option. You do not want a chain to come adrift while working,

Not sure if my solution on a Ford 6000 will work for you on a small garden tractor, but this system overcomes all the problems of securing everything. It consists of a steel "ring" on each side of the tire - nothing fancy, just strips bolted together into an octagon shape. The chains are attached to the rings simply by passing the chain through the bolt that is secured with a Nylock nut.

I have had this arrangement in use for several years now and it has worked perfectly. Look carefully at the picture and you will see the rings on the insides of the tires. They are duplicated by identical rings on the outside faces.

Attachments

• both-wheels_reversed & chained.jpg
    both-wheels_reversed & chained.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 95
   / Tire Chains #16  
Afraid I do not agree with the Bungee cord option. You do not want a chain to come adrift while working,

Not sure if my solution on a Ford 6000 will work for you on a small garden tractor, but this system overcomes all the problems of securing everything. It consists of a steel "ring" on each side of the tire - nothing fancy, just strips bolted together into an octagon shape. The chains are attached to the rings simply by passing the chain through the bolt that is secured with a Nylock nut.

I have had this arrangement in use for several years now and it has worked perfectly. Look carefully at the picture and you will see the rings on the insides of the tires. They are duplicated by identical rings on the outside faces.

Hadn’t seen that before. Those stay on all year? Mud? Snow? Thanks for sharing.

/ Tire Chains #17  

Like Smokeydog commented above, I've not seen that before. Looks like it is not very aggressive either. One thing to note about reversing the ag tires as shown. I get it that the purpose is to allow clearance. Way back in the day growing up on the farm, we had a Ford 9N that we used for row-crop tillage. In order to properly space the wheels between the rows of crop, my dad would swap the wheels which meant the ag tire were running backwards. There was a significant loss of traction when in that configuration. Depending on how you use your tractor as well as soil/ground conditions, you may not notice that difference. Also, the chains would more than help to make up for it.

Just my 2 cents + tx!;)

/ Tire Chains #18  
you can swap side to side, it does put the valve stem to the inside also but I've never had a problem with that.

/ Tire Chains #19  
Yes to all comments - the wheels were reversed mainly to gain clearance between the chains and the tractor body. The chains do provide more traction and have been sufficient to keep me out of trouble. Having the valve stem on the inside has been no big deal.

This year there has been a lot of rain but little snow during the last two winters. The chains stay on all year round because the treads are badly worn and slip on very hard shale/gravel surfaces. The cost of the chains and fabrication of the rings was nothing compared to $1500 each for new tires!

/ Tire Chains #20  
Just use rubber bungee cords on the outside to snug them up. Shouldn't have any issues - not like you're going to be driving down the road at 30 mph......

you want to first pull the chains so that they are tight on the inside of the tire, then bungees on the outside to keep them tight.

Won't be pretty looking, but who cares.

can also look on your local Craigslist for better sized chains that are cheap.
A friend of mine is looking to get tire chains as well. I'm coming over tomorrow to help him finish installing the rack and bed cover from 4Wheelonline onto his truck. I'll recommend the rubber bungee.