Titan Flail Mower

/ Titan Flail Mower #1  

swreeder

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT3 52HC
Greetings,

I took the plunge and purchased a Titan attachments flail mower this past week. In doing research for this particular flail, I found very little information on the web regarding it. I figured I would document as much as I can to help anyone else that may be looking at one of these.

To give you some info on my intentions and use for the flail. I live in Texas hill country on about 50 acres. My driveway is about 3/4 mile long caliche road with anywhere from 1 foot to 4 foot wide grass/weeds that grow along the side. I also have about 2 acres of combined open areas that grow in natural grass. I was mowing these areas with the use of a rotary cutter and string trimmer in the past. The terrain here is very rocky, at most I have 1-3" of topsoil over limestone. Goal was to make mowing the road areas easier and more efficient.

I purchased the bank mower version of the flail to help with the roadside mowing and hard to reach areas where I cannot get with the rotary cutter.

Shipment arrived to my house in less than a week from Titan. Shipping crate was not in the best shape, but the contents were all intact. Two minor issues upon arrival. 1. Paint rubbed off from parts rubbing together in shipping. 2. Burr inside bushing damaged threads on pin during assembly. Both are fixed and Titan has been working with me along the way.

1618429234688.png

/ Titan Flail Mower
Unboxing the unit and assembly takes some time. It's very heavy and robust. There is no cheapness anywhere that I can detect with the product.
1618429347178.png

/ Titan Flail Mower
Having someone to help with the assembly is a plus. The swing arm and 3 point assemblies are heavy and awkward to move around.

1618429435839.png

/ Titan Flail Mower
Assembly, greasing zirks and putting oil in gearbox is probably a good solid 1-2 hour job if you do not run into issues. Mine was closer to four due to a slight defect that caused me to damage some threads on a large bolt.

1618429570285.png

/ Titan Flail Mower
A quick test around the yard yielded good results. Initial impressions are to take it slow, there are lots of things to be watching and monitoring at the same time. I am also going to need to find a way to slow down the rear remotes, moving the hydraulics with engine RPMS at right level to run the implement are way to fast and jerky. I need to find a source for orifice disks or flow limiters online to order.

1618436562536.png

/ Titan Flail Mower #7  
I have the same issue with my Peruzzo ditch and bank mower with the movements being too fast and jerky, even though it came with orifices to limit flow. After exploring options, I ended up doing nothing and kind of getting used to it.

I like the chain front guards. My Peruzzo has a stiff rubber belt guard, which knocks down tough stemmy weeds so they aren't cut, then pop up in a short time. The only way I've found to solve that is to remove it, which isn't a great solution. I was just thinking today that a chain guard should work better.

/ Titan Flail Mower #8  
Get some adjustable flow control valves and should fix that issue. To achieve a wide range of movement on these flail mowers, they had to place the cylinders in a way that favors the range of movement while losing leverage, so it makes it very touchy.

@K5lwq also has a similar unit and if I remember correctly, that was what he did to control the speed.

Something like this:

Stainless Steel Hydraulic Flow Control Valve, Maximum Operating  Temperature: Up To 80 Degree C, Rs 1000 /piece | ID: 19035329797

/ Titan Flail Mower #9  
My tractor has a hydraulic flow control. But I also have economy PTO that I never disengage which allows me to run much lower rpm thus making hydraulics not as tricky.

/ Titan Flail Mower #10  
Get some adjustable flow control valves and should fix that issue. To achieve a wide range of movement on these flail mowers, they had to place the cylinders in a way that favors the range of movement while losing leverage, so it makes it very touchy.

@K5lwq also has a similar unit and if I remember correctly, that was what he did to control the speed.

Something like this:

Stainless Steel Hydraulic Flow Control Valve, Maximum Operating  Temperature: Up To 80 Degree C, Rs 1000 /piece | ID: 19035329797
Yes, I have one of these on my Kioti remote valve. For the flail, I used a flow reducing fitting with a small orifice like this.

1BB8A998-AB8F-4F85-8535-BC8CBBE39802.jpeg23B2DA96-7F4F-46F6-9A44-3B30C40E81EC.jpeg