Titan Flail Mower

/ Titan Flail Mower
Got to spend a little more time on it tonight testing it out. Getting a little better at feathering the remote valves, it might just be more operator error vs need flow limiters.

It did a great job cutting along the fence line, Impressive how close you can get it by working the remotes carefully and going slow.

1618444322790.png

/ Titan Flail Mower #13  
Very nice! I like mine a lot. Do you have the cylinder for vertical rotation on a valve with float? I find float is necessary to get a even cut.

/ Titan Flail Mower
Very nice! I like mine a lot. Do you have the cylinder for vertical rotation on a valve with float? I find float is necessary to get a even cut.
Tell me more! I have three remote valves. The two that I am using have detents, the one that I am not using does not. Not sure if I have a "float" valve. I'm new to the world of rear remotes.

/ Titan Flail Mower #15  
Float allows the head to follow the contour of the ground without having to adjust the valve. If you have ever used the float function on your loader it is the same idea.

/ Titan Flail Mower
Float allows the head to follow the contour of the ground without having to adjust the valve. If you have ever used the float function on your loader it is the same idea.
Got it, I don't think my remote valves support it, or if they do its not in the manual and I can't seem to work them in any way that would indicate they are in float.

/ Titan Flail Mower #17  
Mine did not either. I added a solenoid valve to tie the ports together and created a way for the head to float.

It will only raise to the height I energize the solenoid but I always have it rotated up before I flip the switch. Then it moves up and down no problem.

01780101-AA10-44EF-8972-4D7C4A0F999F.jpeg8E8F92AE-CE04-4451-87D4-61D9EAFC5806.jpegA926CB3A-AD74-47DD-9718-29E227F57A26.jpeg

/ Titan Flail Mower #18  
Hello and good morning swreeder,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from Wimberly Texas.
Are your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast??

A couple of things you need to look at and adjust are (1) your three point hitches lower links MUST be level to reduce any stress on the lower lift arm links and (2) you need to invest in 2 two way needle valves and long hydraulic fittings to control the speed of the oil flow to the boom swing cylinder and the mower lift/lower cylinder.

If you have three draft control valves in the cabin you need to make sure they are all fully lowered to make sure the three point hitch is level from side to side to let it float.

I am glad to see the hose protection sleeves on those hoses.

As the hoses have banjo hydraulic fittings on the cylinders the best way to do this is install the 2 way needle valves on the quick attach fitting hoses ends as you would have to replace the entire hose if they were attached to the cylinder end of each hose.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a hydraulic repair shop to buy the 2 way needle valves and the steel hose fittings for the 2 flail mower hoses you will attach them to as they will know exactly what you need as long as you bring pictures of the hose ends and the numbers on the hose fittings that are attached to the quick connect fittings.

You will need a pair of extension fittings to let you connect the quick connect fittings to the manifold on the tractor and they can order them for you.

By installing the short and long steel hose extension fittings you will have no trouble installing and removing the quick couplers in the manifolds as they will not interfere with each other as one mounting assembly will be longer than the other and it will prevent filling the swear jar and skinned knuckles.

You need to also take pictures of the information printed on the hoses or write the information down so you can give it to the hydraulic repair shop to order the correct fittings for you.
If there is no printing on the hoses you can take both of the quick connect fittings with you to the hydraulic repair shop to order the right fittings.

By slowing the oil flow of the double acting cylinder to one port on each cylinder that will control the boom swing speed and elevation to vertical speed you need reduce the stress on the mower frame and reduce the chance to cause a tip over event.

LeonZ

Last edited:
   / Titan Flail Mower
Hello and good morning swreeder,

I want to welcome you as the newest resident member of the "Flail Mower Nations" from Wimberly Texas.
Are your rear tires loaded with liquid ballast??

A couple of things you need to look at and adjust are (1) your three point hitches lower links MUST be level to reduce any stress on the lower lift arm links and (2) you need to invest in 2 two way needle valves and long hydraulic fittings to control the speed of the oil flow to the boom swing cylinder and the mower lift/lower cylinder.

If you have three draft control valves in the cabin you need to make sure they are all fully lowered to make sure the three point hitch is level from side to side to let it float.

I am glad to see the hose protection sleeves on those hoses.

As the hoses have banjo hydraulic fittings on the cylinders the best way to do this is install the 2 way needle valves on the quick attach fitting hoses ends as you would have to replace the entire hose if they were attached to the cylinder end of each hose.

I would strongly suggest that you go to a hydraulic repair shop to buy the 2 way needle valves and the steel hose fittings for the 2 flail mower hoses you will attach them to as they will know exactly what you need as long as you bring pictures of the hose ends and the numbers on the hose fittings that are attached to the quick connect fittings.

You will need a pair of extension fittings to let you connect the quick connect fittings to the manifold on the tractor and they can order them for you.

By installing the short and long steel hose extension fittings you will have no trouble installing and removing the quick couplers in the manifolds as they will not interfere with each other as one mounting assembly will be longer than the other and it will prevent filling the swear jar and skinned knuckles.

You need to also take pictures of the information printed on the hoses or write the information down so you can give it to the hydraulic repair shop to order the correct fittings for you.
If there is no printing on the hoses you can take both of the quick connect fittings with you to the hydraulic repair shop to order the right fittings.

By slowing the oil flow of the double acting cylinder to one port on each cylinder that will control the boom swing speed and elevation to vertical speed you need reduce the stress on the mower frame and reduce the chance to cause a tip over event.

LeonZ
My rear tires are loaded with ballast, so I have that covered. My dealer recommended 1/2 swivel adapters with an orifice to restrict flow. The were only 5 bucks each so order 4 to try out. If they don't work out I will visit a hydraulic shop for alternatives. I'll pay a little more attention to leveling the lifter arms next time I hook up.

/ Titan Flail Mower
A few updates to share.
1. Hitting rocks can be detrimental to the hammers ;). I found a rock in a field that I missed, the flail picked it up. Broke two hammers and dented the mower. Fortunately hammers are cheap and I bought 15 spare ones.
2. Installing swivel orifice adapters with a .031 hole were perfect to slow down the rear remotes to a very nice speed.
3. I feel like I need two more arms. I'm constantly adjusting 3pt height, mower pitch and offset. I got fairly good at it, but I will say mowing at a consistent height is almost impossible with rough, rocky terrain. I'm happy with the results, its just not a set it and mow type of solution.
4. Its a workout on the neck.

In all I'm still learning but mowed a 1 acre field and about 1/2 mile of the side of the driveway in a decent amount of time. Way better than attempting to do it with a string trimmer and brush hog.

Attachments

• 1618968994601.png
    1618968994601.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 1618969039470.png
    1618969039470.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 140