to keep people off of my land!

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / to keep people off of my land! #41  
check

In this instance, because you had the time, the guy was not leaving in a hurry.... perhaps you should have had the local sheriff explain to the trespasser that he was in fact trespassing.... In similar circumstances when there is time, I normally allow the sheriff to have the conversation, and on several of those occasions, the trespassers had outstanding warrants, so the "I don't need to follow the law" type person left the property in the back of a sheriff's car. Then adding insult to injury - their car gets towed... I normally stay our of sight making sure they don't have a face to recognize should they desire some sort of revenge later on...

It is a shame that our society and the respect of laws and other folks property has degraded to the point we see today... That guy you found had no respect for your signs, or your property...

/ to keep people off of my land! #42  
A couple of thoughts...

After three Mighty Mules were damage from being forced... I gave up. I was thinking of the gate latch and didn't do it.

Now I use hardened chain and quality lock... which means getting out off the vehicle.

Down the road the owner put in a very substantial and costly gate... all solid steel with the hinges and posts needed... should last hundreds of years... the wrought iron work.

It wasn't a week until he was heading out and the new gate didn't open... gate operator... pole mounted solar and battery all gone... so he replaced and had to build cages... even for the pole mounted solar panel...

/ to keep people off of my land! #43  
Put up a sign stating "Danger, Rifle Range Ahead" "Call for clearance to cross the range"

/ to keep people off of my land! #44  
Many people won't take a sign seriously if it looks like it was meant to be clever/funny.

A friend just had a "home invasion" of sorts. They live on a dirt road in a very rural area. Their house is about 500 ft. from the road. His wife and two children got home late one night and there was someone in the house. They called the police and it turned out to be a drunk sleeping on their couch.

So we've been looking into options for a gate. There are some really nice gate openers that can be attached to a deep-cycle battery and a solar charger so that the whole system doesn't need any trenching/cables. We figure we can do the whole job pretty cheap with a big tube gate from TS.

You really don't need the expense of a deep cycle battery as the solar charger keeps it topped up all the time. I was advised to get the cheapest automotive battery I could find with the longest full-replacement (not pro-rated) warranty. Has worked super for me for 2 years. If it shows any signs of weakening as it approaches its 3yr warranty end, it will get exchanged at Sam's Club.

/ to keep people off of my land! #45  
You really don't need the expense of a deep cycle battery as the solar charger keeps it topped up all the time. I was advised to get the cheapest automotive battery I could find with the longest full-replacement (not pro-rated) warranty. Has worked super for me for 2 years. If it shows any signs of weakening as it approaches its 3yr warranty end, it will get exchanged at Sam's Club.

I hadn't thought about it like that but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tip!

/ to keep people off of my land! #46  
Just make a sign like I did. No more trespassers or revenures! LOL!

Warning-Sign.jpg

/ to keep people off of my land! #47  
<snip>
Can't believe that someone would have the gall to drive down the Hydro line onto my property, take his canoe off of his truck, take it down about 200 feet of Trail to the lake, put it in, and fish. I will have to be putting some more no trespassing signs up, and maybe contact the cottagers that are down that road to let them know that this property is indeed private property.
Yet some posters on here would see nothing wrong with that.

check

In this instance, because you had the time, the guy was not leaving in a hurry.... perhaps you should have had the local sheriff explain to the trespasser that he was in fact trespassing.... In similar circumstances when there is time, I normally allow the sheriff to have the conversation, and on several of those occasions, the trespassers had outstanding warrants, so the "I don't need to follow the law" type person left the property in the back of a sheriff's car. Then adding insult to injury - their car gets towed... I normally stay our of sight making sure they don't have a face to recognize should they desire some sort of revenge later on...

It is a shame that our society and the respect of laws and other folks property has degraded to the point we see today... That guy you found had no respect for your signs, or your property...
Where I live it would be about an hour on a good day to get the sheriff out here. It might be worthwhile to call in to the sheriff and leave the guy's license plate and pertinent details.

/ to keep people off of my land! #48  
Actually, it is a small community up here, and the closest town only has 200 people in it. And I have met the trespasser's relatives, so I can simply have a word with them. It is important to keep the peace around here, as we all help each other out when we can.

Part of the problem is the fact that this 25 acre parcel was vacant for a few years before we bought it in the fall of 2011. So, people were used to just walking down the Hydro line to walk the dogs or just exercise themselves, since no one was around. So, part of our job is to introduce ourselves to all the neighbors, and let them know that it is a rental property, and that we need them to respect our tenants' privacy.

Another issue is the fact that everyone has been used to using the Hydro right-of-way, and I don't think everyone realizes that that right-of-way is only for the Hydro people and me. I believe that some people think that a Hydro right-of-way means a public right-of-way. One older lady even gave me heck for dumping fill on the Hydro right-of-way, and was totally shocked and surprised when I said it was my property and I was using the fill in order to make a nice beach on the small lake. That was kind of funny, and I think she was a little embarrassed about it, because of course she herself was trespassing when she came running down the right-of-way to tell me not to dump the fill.

/ to keep people off of my land! #49  
I'll bet MOST people think right-of-ways allow full public access. Or they think that if a state employee can access the road they can too, but thats only a few. Most simply think they are NOT violating private property and it might take a bit to convince them it's true. You pretty much have to expect to teach this to each and every one.

Out west (here) there's a LOT of public land, people distrust signs sometimes. Also people put up Private property signs on other peoples property because there's no one to call or remove it. Or because trespassers are causing problems and they feel it's a good way to reduce area problems. I have heard people say (over the years),,,, and more times than I can count,,,,

"Those private property signs aren't for real - it's public property that somebody is trying to use as his own."

I'm sure there are cases where landowners do this. Adjacent land owners often try to control adjacent public land. If there is a fence and a gate and obvious parcel lines, the offender's excuses get kinda thin. Where nobody knows the boundaries but the landowner, then the landowner knows what can be done but doesn't want to fence it. And some just hope the problem will go away without adding something ugly to the land. It's understandable all ways.

And on the other side people who want to fish a pond will prepare their arguments for the case where it MIGHT be faked signs (in their favor). Or they hope nobody can prove the signs are valid. They take a chance and hope they don't get caught too. They have all kinda reasons, such as "everybody else is doing it", and "whats the big deal if one guy fishes?". And, "I thought those signs were put on public property by someone who wants to scare off other fishermen".

I'd be willing to bet that many landowners who are guarding their own properties (and adjacent public land) are guilty as well, or at least have committed this same offense over the years. (that might be me ! :D ) I certainly enjoy that all my borders are public land it's like I have thousands of acres!

/ to keep people off of my land! #50  
<snip>
Another issue is the fact that everyone has been used to using the Hydro right-of-way, and I don't think everyone realizes that that right-of-way is only for the Hydro people and me. I believe that some people think that a Hydro right-of-way means a public right-of-way. One older lady even gave me heck for dumping fill on the Hydro right-of-way, and was totally shocked and surprised when I said it was my property and I was using the fill in order to make a nice beach on the small lake. That was kind of funny, and I think she was a little embarrassed about it, because of course she herself was trespassing when she came running down the right-of-way to tell me not to dump the fill.
Yes, that is a problem.
In another thread:
<snip>
I'm not sure about the OP's state but here most power line R/W's are just that. The power company owns the land and have the same rights as any other landowner. Use by the public has traditionally been allowed, but that's starting to change.
jst's state is Maine. I don't know if he is a lawyer or just plays one on TBN.

BUT
An "easement" is the legal right to use or access real estate that belongs to someone else. When there's a right-of-way easement on your property, the land still belongs to you, and therefore the property taxes remain your legal responsibility. That said, easements raise a number of issues that could affect your taxes.
Terms
Right-of-way easements are the most common kind of easement. These easements give someone else the right to use a specific portion of your property. For example, neighbors whose property is cut off from the road may have an easement allowing them to drive across a 15-foot-wide section of your land to reach the road. Or a utility company may have an easement allowing it to run a power line over a strip of your property, or bury a gas line under it. In legal terms, the "easement" is the right to use the property, while the "right of way" is the portion of your property affected by the easement. Right-of-way easements are typically written into the deed of a property, meaning all future owners of the land are bound by them.
Tax Credits
Easements don't change ownership of the property, so the land owner will still have to pay the property taxes on it. Some states and localities, however, give land owners a property tax credit for certain right-of-way easements. In Minnesota, for example, you can receive a credit -- a discount on your property taxes, essentially -- for easements for power lines. The amount of the credit is based on the length of the line crossing the property. Check with your local property tax assessing agency to see whether you're eligible for tax breaks for right-of-way easements.
from Who Pays Property Taxes on Right-of-Way Easements? | Finance - Zacks

In Mississippi the ROW across my 70 acres is just for power company access. After some problems with dirt bikers and timber harvesters I called the telephone company and was told I could fence it off as long as they had access and could get a truck through.

Status
Not open for further replies.