TODAY'S GUN TIME

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,081  
Mossberg defender

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,082  
Wanna buy my first shotgun. Primarily for home defense. Thoughts?
Seems my go to gun to shotgun is my remington 870 youth in 20 gauge. Bought it years ago and glad I did.

Understand that 20 guage may not be enough gun for some, but honestly with it's sub 20" barrel and LOP, I've found it's the perfect shotgun for the entire family to use. Recoil seems non exisitant compared to my 12 guages even with 20 gauge #3 buckshot, and even when the boys were small, they actually enjoyed shooting it vs the 12 gauge using buckshot. I figure I'm not going to be taking many 25 yard plus shots inside a home as well if I did have to use inside the house.

Of course it's hard to be a 12 gauge as well.

Funny, I was just reading up on the Mossberg 510 mini super bantam (seeing what's out there today). For whatever reason, it seems everyone thinks a mossberg kicks harder than other brands, even the 20 gauge LOL

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,083  
Mossberg 500, Remington 870, ect, with a real stock, no pistol grips, birds heads, or other weird gimmicky things. Try to find one with a pair of barrels if you want to hunt or shoot skeet with it, or atleast one that takes chokes in the short barrel. Friend of mine had 18.5" cylinder bore, and had a heck of a time breaking clays. Also, personal preference, but avoid any shot gun that has a M4 style adjustable stock. Im not a fan of these on anything, but even less on a shotgun, where you shoulder and swing, and have real recoil.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,084  
Also, the AK pattern shotguns seem to be reliable and aren't too expensive. Once issue I've heard is with some ammo, the hulls can get a bit deformed if left in a full loaded mag for Long periods. I think we are talking many months to couple years, but read up on it if you are considering any box feed shotgun.
Screenshot_20210309-071321_Chrome.jpg

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,085  
I like the simplicity of a breech loader, double barrel or single. I've got two semi automatic rifles giving trouble now.

Last edited:
   / TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,086  
Also, the AK pattern shotguns seem to be reliable and aren't too expensive. Once issue I've heard is with some ammo, the hulls can get a bit deformed if left in a full loaded mag for Long periods. I think we are talking many months to couple years, but read up on it if you are considering any box feed shotgun.View attachment 689389

I have that gun. It’s fun - but boy is it heavy!

MoKelly

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,087  
You can never go wrong with the tried-and-true Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Get the shorter barrel on either, obviously. My Mossy has 18.5". When I bought it back in the late '80s, I put pistol grips on it front and back. I'll go ahead and recommend against that. Looks really cool, but hurts like he** to shoot. Also makes it a 2-handed gun, unless you have Schwarzenegger wrists. I eventually put the original stock and fore grip back on it.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,088  
You can never go wrong with the tried-and-true Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500. Get the shorter barrel on either, obviously. My Mossy has 18.5". When I bought it back in the late '80s, I put pistol grips on it front and back. I'll go ahead and recommend against that. Looks really cool, but hurts like he** to shoot. Also makes it a 2-handed gun, unless you have Schwarzenegger wrists. I eventually put the original stock and fore grip back on it.
Good advice is worth repeating...I suggest anyone who wants to get the best from his shotgun, get it fitted by a good gunsmith and install a Pachmyer White Line recoil pad. Makes a world of difference in many cases.

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,089  
Seems my go to gun to shotgun is my Remington 870 youth in 20 gauge. Bought it years ago and glad I did.

Understand that 20 gauge may not be enough gun for some, but honestly with it's sub 20" barrel and LOP, I've found it's the perfect shotgun for the entire family to use. Recoil seems non exisitant compared to my 12 guages even with 20 gauge #3 buckshot, and even when the boys were small, they actually enjoyed shooting it vs the 12 gauge using buckshot. I figure I'm not going to be taking many 25 yard plus shots inside a home as well if I did have to use inside the house.
Easier for a tall person to shoulder a short gun than for a short person to shoulder a too-long one. Compact o'all size handles better in close quarters & 20 ga is still a lot of gun for indoor use.

Better to be confident than intimidated by what you're shooting in a tight situation. It'll help when you realize that after one shot indoors you'll be deaf till "the dealin's done", and any muzzle flash can dimish one's ability to see by a night-light.

I still have my eye on a RIA 'AG' in 20 Ga since the O/U Red Label 20 doesn't fit well under the bed and I only have waterfowl ammo for the loooong 10 Ga Browning. :sneaky:

/ TODAY'S GUN TIME #7,090  
When I had a Mossberg "Persuader" (basically a Mossy 500 with short (18") barrel and an extended tube (7 or 8 rounds, IIRC). Also came with a pistol grip....had to try it (the pistol grip) and once was enough.
Sold the shotgun after I had a pacemaker put in...don't think the pacemaker could handle the recoil