TODAYS SEAT TIME

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,511  
Last two days I've gotten a few minutes of seat time trying to get my tractor from its shed up onto the driveway. There is WAY MORE snow than I thought from near the house. the wind howled for the entire storm and I have shocking snow drifts up top by the gate and former pasture fence.

I am Big Time Stuck...

Please nobody tell me how much better Ag tires would have done...

Be well all,
David

Were your tires grooved? I walked right through the 30+ inches that we got with a similar tractor and R-4s. Did 9 driveways and the only time I remember having a traction issues was when I forgot to put it in 4wd.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,512  
Fitted my new front tyres this morning and this arvo I tried them out. Tractor feels a lot firmer with the 6 plys. Spent a bit of time setting up the skids and roller on my new mower and then went chewing up horsey poo with it. Good to have my tractor running again even though it's only been a week waiting on tyres.
(well we haven't got snow but we have horsey poo) No traction issues with that. :rolleyes: Gotta talk about something.... :laughing:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,513  
Piston;4361257On a side note said:
That is just what I was thinking as I read your post. Nice job.

In a winter like this you can get some extra stuff done that is usually back burner in the summer. AS long as you can stay out of the mud that is.

gg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,514  
I must have missed your thread on the mower.

Need the details please.

Dennis, I think I did write a thread a long time ago on the mower, but it's just a heavy duty rotary mower. My prior mower was a light duty Landpride which I quickly bent and beat up using it for something it wasn't rated for. Then, I replaced it with a Brown 472 mower which is considerably more heavy duty at over 1000 lbs for the 6' mower.

Its amazing to me how much it shreds up good size saplings, and just how much of a beating any heavy duty mower can take.

It's nothing like your hydraulic driven tree terminator, but for a compact tractor attachment it has certainly surpassed my expectations. It's made me a whole lot more money than I paid for it that's for sure! ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1454592267.231030.jpg

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,515  
Dennis, I think I did write a thread a long time ago on the mower, but it's just a heavy duty rotary mower. My prior mower was a light duty Landpride which I quickly bent and beat up using it for something it wasn't rated for. Then, I replaced it with a Brown 472 mower which is considerably more heavy duty at over 1000 lbs for the 6' mower.

Its amazing to me how much it shreds up good size saplings, and just how much of a beating any heavy duty mower can take.

It's nothing like your hydraulic driven tree terminator, but for a compact tractor attachment it has certainly surpassed my expectations. It's made me a whole lot more money than I paid for it that's for sure!View attachment 455894

You don't even hook up the top link/ Just let it float? Thats interesting.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,516  

It's nothing like your hydraulic driven tree terminator, but for a compact tractor attachment it has certainly surpassed my expectations. It's made me a whole lot more money than I paid for it that's for sure!

Thanks, your thread was shortly after I joined: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...facturing-rotary-cutter-heavy.html?highlight=

Looks like a gooder-un! :thumbsup:

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,517  
Were your tires grooved? I walked right through the 30+ inches that we got with a similar tractor and R-4s. Did 9 driveways and the only time I remember having a traction issues was when I forgot to put it in 4wd.

Grooved? 'Splain it to me Lucy! Tell me more!

The problem was entirely two things. Snow drifts & Slopes. My house is 2/3 down a hill from the majority of the property, the "barn" shed I park the tractor in is almost at the bottom. There was 10-12" snow on the gravel driveway (the entire loop by the house except the parking area at the house is sloped as well). But in the ditch alongside the drive, and the qully where the tractor road to the barn is, there was 2' or more drifts, and of course slopes (outside of the pasture area, nothing is even close to level here).

We had to hand shovel the drive from the house 80% to the top of the least sloped, but longer side of the loop, and we had hand shovel the ditch out to bare ground and trick the tractor into getting stuck climbing and turning and backing onto the driveway. Once I got the tractor up onto the driveway, I could start clearing snow, and got the plow attached to my truck and we were cooking with gas...

We made it to the gate late Monday night, and to the pavement Tuesday, all the way to town (the liquor store actually) Tuesday evening.

LOL...

Be well,

David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,518  
Of course to complicate my situation, I had the grapple on the tractor due to firewood processing, the bucket with ratchet rake was up by pasture & gate, the snow plow was not on the truck and was over on the side yard, the truck was in the driveway, but even in 4x4 it struggled to "Plow" the snow with the front axle, differential, and the snow plow mounts.

Last time it snowed, none of these things were issues, LOL... This snow was "special" just like me...

Be well,
David

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,519  
Gladehound has a really good (and very long) thread on tire grooving that's worth the read.
I have been in similar situations and if the problem is mostly lack of traction and not getting hung up at the axels, then I have been amazed what a little sand/gravel will do for traction. Just give it a try even if it doesn't seem like it would help.

/ TODAYS SEAT TIME #5,520  
Last winter there was a big thread on tire siping/grooving and I never heard how folks did.
Supposed to be a substantial advantage on snow, like putting snow tires on instead of all seasons
plus little or no downside any other time of the year.