Torsion axles???

/ Torsion axles??? #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I am sure it has been discussed here but I just couldn't find a thread. Buying used trailer you cant always get what you want. I am looking at a Corn pro 14GVW equipment trailer 18' long. It has torsion axels. I have always stuck with springs. How will torsion axels perform and hold up? Any advice appreciated.

/ Torsion axles??? #2  
Torsion axles are great on smooth, flat surfaces, and if the trailer is always level. I would not want them on an equipment trailer.

/ Torsion axles??? #4  
They’re fine.
Yep, I prefer torsion axles. Although I don't own an "equipment trailer", I have torsion axles on my utility trailer and my TT which is 27' long with a GVW of 10,000#.

/ Torsion axles??? #5  
The problem is on multiple axles with no equalization. On a sharp rise or dip, most of the weight on one axle is shifted to the other axle, which may overload it. Equalized conventional sprung axles can do the same, but it takes much more rise or drop.

Bruce

/ Torsion axles??? #6  
I have a 14k Moritz torsion axle gooseneck and haven't have any problems hauling 11,000lbs of tractor on it. I do try and stay on driving areas but there are some off camber areas that I have not had issues with. The big thing is to try very hard to keep the trailer level when loaded.

/ Torsion axles???
Keeping it level probably wouldn't work for me as I haul a small dozer off pavement sometimes. What do you think of the equipt. trailers that have the donut wheels? (like house trailers) I had one once and had my share of problems. Probably due to overloading. Seems like the rims would give where the lug nuts were and loosen up. I have about 6 wheels with tires that I have found over the years that come off some ones trailer laying along the road.

/ Torsion axles??? #8  
I was wondering the same thing as the OP....springs or torsion? I have been keeping my eye out for a 14/16' 12/14k equipment trailer to haul the Toolcat (6k) and firewood. I'm looking for a flat deck that will give me ground clearance and I plan on going off road. I'm thinking pull out ramps with the rear corner jacks will offer the best uneven surface loading. My PWC trailer has the torsion axles and it has been fine, but is a light weight. They recommend to get the weight off the tires for winter time.

/ Torsion axles??? #9  
My PJ 22' 14K model TF full tilt bed has torsion axles. Bought it 4 years ago and have had no problems with the trailer or suspension.

/ Torsion axles??? #10  
On a single axle they are OK but with more than one axle you should have springs with equalizers.
Any time the trailer is uneven front to rear the equalizers spread the weight evenly.
I drove and repaired semi trailers for over 30 years and they use springs or air ride.
In the low 70's I worked for a company and we were taking 1960's semi trailers and removing steel torsion bar suspensions and converting to spring/equalizers. Those old suspensions were UGLY! And heavy.