Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages?

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #41  
I purchased an old double cultipacker and am wanting to turn it into a 3 point and maybe have the tow option also.
I purchased new 1018 cold rolled 1-3/4" bars @ $350 for 2@8' and am going to get 4 pillow block bearings and go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_2121.JPG
    IMG_2121.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 598
  • IMG_2123.JPG
    IMG_2123.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 478

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #42  
In the 10 years this thread has been out, I've worked a lot with larger size cultipackers and cultimulchers and have learned the towed ones put more weight to the ground and do a better job at packing than a three pt hitch model. I've worked with 1000 lb versions up to maybe 8,000 lbs.

The three point models tend to lift and "hunt" as the tractor bumps around while the pulled models stay stuck to the ground better. As a result, the job is smoother without all the bumps of a three pt job. Just an FYI

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #43  
In the 10 years this thread has been out, I've worked a lot with larger size cultipackers and cultimulchers and have learned the towed ones put more weight to the ground and do a better job at packing than a three pt hitch model. I've worked with 1000 lb versions up to maybe 8,000 lbs.

The three point models tend to lift and "hunt" as the tractor bumps around while the pulled models stay stuck to the ground better. As a result, the job is smoother without all the bumps of a three pt job. Just an FYI
I'm thinking with having either for a choice it would be easier for me to transport with 3 point then convert to pull behind.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #44  
I'm thinking with having either for a choice it would be easier for me to transport with 3 point then convert to pull behind.
Yes, 3PT is easier to transport but does a mediocre job.
Pulled type is harder to transport but does a great job.

I sometimes let customers choose which type and show pictures of the jobs each type does. So far, 100% went with the extra cost of the pull-type. It takes me an extra trip--and back--times two, to haul over a pull type. The real answer is to have both types and make the 3PT one Billion seeder so it has other uses.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #45  
I bought a homemade roller at an online auction for $40. I had to add a pair of $10 pillow block bearings, and I was good to go. It is filled with concrete and it is deceptively heavy. It works great. The pull behind type is nice because it "floats" over terrain up and down, and left to right. I'm not sure the 3 point floats left to right so much, but I suppose you could modify one lift arm to accomplish this. The Brillion cultipackers are nice because the individual wheels float to a degree.

1656546126559.png

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #46  
I have seen some cultipackers made with concrete and plastic culvert that look decent.

/ Towed Cultipacker Vs. 3-Pt. Lift Cultipacker - Advantages / Disadvantages? #47  
I've always wondered if that would work as a low-buck option--and it does. Great video.