Towing capacity

/ Towing capacity #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
I am trying to build out parameters for a truck and trailer I will need to transport my tractor. I can get specific weights on tractors and equipment. I am trying to determine how much 'wiggle room' I need to build in to my calculations. So if I get a medium-sized CUT with ROPs, that is about 3300 lbs. 16 ft trailer with about 7000 lb capacity is 2500-3000 lbs. Cab is a maybe right now. FEL is a definite yes, so I will have to add in weight for that. Also likely to have med-hvy duty RC on 3pt. What other factors do I need to consider? Like, how heavy would loaded tires be? At this point, I don't know what I don't know. I don't want to buy too small a truck, but I also have no interest in a behemoth.

/ Towing capacity #2  
The base tractor at 3000-4000 plus the loader plus the fluid in the tires, plus the RC will be pushing 6000-7000 pounds. 20 foot minimum trailer rated for 12-14000 would be preferred, but could possibly do 10K trailer but would be at the upper limit. 3/4 ton pickup minimum to pull that weight safely.

/ Towing capacity #3  
I pull my L2550DT with a 3/4 ton Dodge with a V10 and a 7K tilt bed trailer (two 3,500K axles). It pulls fine up and down hills and being a dual axle trailer it has brakes as well.
My regret in the purchase was not getting a 9K trailer but no issues with my current package for the Kubota use.

/ Towing capacity #4  
Some things to think about.
If your proposed tractor is 3300lb. then add another 1000 for a loader so now 4300lb. Add the minimum trailer weight of 2500lb. and you're up to 6800lb or about maximum for a 7K trailer. Plus any 3pt. attachments and a cab will also add weight so a 7K may not be ideal as you'll probably be over loaded. If you load the tires then there is more added weight.
Next concern is a 16' trailer long enough for a tractor with loader and maybe a 3 pt. attachment? You may need wiggle room to move the tractor to get proper balance and tongue weight. I would suggest at least a 20' 9 or 10,000lb. trailer.
Lastly, if your combined weight of loaded trailer is truly around 7K or even up to 10k then most any newer 1/2T pickups properly equiped will easily haul that kind of load.

Last edited:
   / Towing capacity #6  
To make your day more confusing note how difficult it is to get a straight answer as to the towing capacity of a truck.

If rated 7,000 pounds you will not be perfectly safe at 6,999 and dead at 7,001. I think common sense is needed. Some are totally frightened to exceed 5,000 with a 7,000 rating, "absolutely positively must have a 1 ton to tow 5,000 pounds!". That if they can feel the trailer at all behind the truck then the truck is not big enough.

/ Towing capacity #8  
If buying new you may want a 20' trailer with dual 5200 lb axles and 4 wheel brakes.

I have a 18' open center car hauler and with my grapple on pretty much anything else ends up hanging off the back a little. Mine is pretty well balanced with the grapple pulled right up to the winch so I haven't tried hanging the bucket or grapple over the tongue. I would have to relocate my winch electric box to do that anyways.

You will want to rig a 4 to 1 scale to determine tongue weight. Correct tongue weight is critical.

Here is my chart for a JD 4310 and a 03 F150. The tiller is the heaviest implement I have. If I want or need maximum loader capability I would have to put my 1200 lb 3 pt ballast on. I haven't tested that combination but it would require me to be able to pull the tractor forward for more tongue weight and would bring my load just under the max towing rate for my truck. I might could tilt the bucket or grapple at 90 degrees and set it over on the tongue.

Trailer Weight
1900​
Tractor Weight
2900​
Loader Weight
600​
Grapple Weight
560​
Tiller Weight
665​
Total Weight
6625​
Truck Towing Capacity
w/4.6 & 3.55 rear axle
7200​

/ Towing capacity #9  
“I bought too big of a trailer!” Said no man ever...

Years ago a TBN member posted about a ride he went on at highway speeds after the front straps broke and the tractor rolled back, losing his tongue weight. He later determined that although his trailer and straps were rated for the load, when he hit a bump the trailer flexxed, causing the straps to break.
As you say, he went out and bought a bigger, heavier trailer and a decent set of tie down chains.
At least he was adept and experienced enough to keep it on the road.

/ Towing capacity #10  
“I bought too big of a trailer!” Said no man ever...
What he said 100%. I would go with a 20' trailer minimum and 2-7k axles, plenty wiggle room with how much weight you can haul and enough wiggle room to shift your load forward or back on the trailer to get it to pull to your liking.