Towing manure spreader

/ Towing manure spreader #11  
Keep in mind a manure spreader is basically a trailer so it will tow quite well.
Since the OP didn't specify what kind of manure spreader it might be, your blanket statement may be off the mark. I have a manure spreader that would definitely not be highway towable. It's designed to be pulled behind a tractor. It has no lights, no plate, no safety chains and there is nothing about it that would make me assume it is street worthy. There may be spreaders that are designed to be towed, but mine ain't one.

I would trailer it.

/ Towing manure spreader #12  
Since the OP didn't specify what kind of manure spreader it might be, your blanket statement may be off the mark. I have a manure spreader that would definitely not be highway towable. It's designed to be pulled behind a tractor. It has no lights, no plate, no safety chains and there is nothing about it that would make me assume it is street worthy. There may be spreaders that are designed to be towed, but mine ain't one.

I would trailer it.

Off the mark, huh? :confused:

Unless it was designed to be pulled by horses what other than a tractor would it be used with? That certainly doesn't mean it can't be towed by a truck on the road. A log chain is all you need for a safety chain, plates LOL, lights are easy if that is a concern.

The OP specifies a single axle and not very big so I do have a pretty good idea of what he is talking about.

Please post a picture of your spreader that isn't highway towable.

Here is a picture of one I helped my FIL bring home from an auction ~50 miles away.

Attachments

• P1000614RS.jpg
    P1000614RS.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 303
   / Towing manure spreader #13  
Off the mark, huh? :confused:

Unless it was designed to be pulled by horses what other than a tractor would it be used with? That certainly doesn't mean it can't be towed by a truck on the road. A log chain is all you need for a safety chain, plates LOL, lights are easy if that is a concern.

The OP specifies a single axle and not very big so I do have a pretty good idea of what he is talking about.

Please post a picture of your spreader that isn't highway towable.

Here is a picture of one I helped my FIL bring home from an auction ~50 miles away.
My manure spreader is a little bitty baby compared to yours. And I think you can see it wasn't designed to be towed on a hwy. We have no idea if the OP was talking about something my size, your size, or other.

Attachments

• DSCF4964.JPG
    DSCF4964.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 866
   / Towing manure spreader #14  
My manure spreader is a little bitty baby compared to yours. And I think you can see it wasn't designed to be towed on a hwy. We have no idea if the OP was talking about something my size, your size, or other.

What do you pull that with. A pedal tractor?

If I bought one of those at an auction I wouldn't tow it or trailer it. I would just put it the trunk.

I guess I was giving the OP a little credit by assuming he wasn't asking about pulling a "spreader" like yours behind a pickup at 60 mph.

/ Towing manure spreader #15  
I had a NH spreader with a 16' bed on it for several years. It had good tires/bearings on it and I towed it 60 miles or so home at 45 to 50 mph with no problems. A good hitch pin with safety pin and a safety chain off of a batwing brushhog where the main safety considerations. I also timed it so the whole trip would be in daylight.
When I sold it the guy I sold it to towed it home the same way.

/ Towing manure spreader #16  

I talked to a guy about one of those that he had advertised on Craiglist the other day. I knew it was small, but when he said we didn't need a tractor to set it up in a p/u bed that he and I could lift it easily I knew it was even smaller than I thought and too small for me.

/ Towing manure spreader
LOL! Duffster - a spreader about the size in your picture is what I am looking for - anywhere from 130 to 200 bushels. I feel better now. Sounds like I am good to go if I find one around ~50 miles or so. I'll take the back roads.

/ Towing manure spreader #18  
I feel better now. Sounds like I am good to go if I find one around ~50 miles or so. I'll take the back roads.

My insurance won't cover me towing anything that isn't licensed. No one plans on having an accident, but if you have one pulling an unlicensed vehicle with no suspension, no lights, no brakes, and tires that have the words "not intended for highway use" tattooed into the rubber, you'll have lots of time to read the tractor forums while you're in the county prison.

/ Towing manure spreader #19  
Now I know where most of our daily contributors come from.;)

Chris

/ Towing manure spreader #20  
No one plans on having an accident, but if you have one pulling an unlicensed vehicle with no suspension, no lights, no brakes, and tires that have the words "not intended for highway use" tattooed into the rubber, you'll have lots of time to read the tractor forums while you're in the county prison.

Not true.

It is a implement of husbandry and falls under completly diffferent rules.

Implements like this are towed everyday around here.