TR3 Rake for hog damage?

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I thought I remembered posts about repairing hog damage and I also think I remember posts about the TR3 rake.

Searching TR3 gave me nothing so, apologies if this is a re-hash.

Does anyone here have experience with the TR3 rake, made by ABI attachments? If so, do you think it would do a decent job at repairing fields damaged by hogs?

Current best practice is to mow, spray, disc then drag. I tried my LPGS and it does not do much (though I love it for maintaining my gravel drive). I tried a box blade and it also didn't do much.

The thing that is 2nd best to the above procedure is a drag I made out of a railroad tie and chainlink fence.

I'm looking for something better.

The ABI TR3 is very expensive. If it worked for hog damage and also worked on my gravel drive, I could sell the LPGS.

Anybody have any TR3 experience?

Hog Damage?
Gravel drive?
Other uses?

Thanks!

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #2  
We don't have hogs here....
But a black bear will do about the same kind of damage in a more localized spot digging up an ant hill in the pasture or hay field...

The ant hills can be a meter in diameter and half a meter high in little more than over night it seems... The bears will dig a crater about the same size looking to eat the ant larva... You don't want to run a tractor or attachment wheel into either one.. But I must admit, it is fun to hover over an ant hill with the brush hog mower... If you discover the ant hill before hitting it, you can really mess up there day..

What I use to fix either situation is a length of I beam, with a 3 pt hitch and staggered 1" square teeth about 3" long... This is a homemade version of a similar implement known as a pasture renovator.. Repair the major part of the damage with this, then go over it several time, multiple directions with a chain link drag harrow and it pretty much is done..

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #3  
We have wild hogs and they sure can cause some damage.
Years ago, before I had fenced, our primary male dog passed away. Apparently word spread throughout the pig community. Before we knew it they were rooting less than 10 feet from the house. Seems most of these are 6 inches or more deep. Raking does nothing for them. My solution, then and even now outside the fence- my flail mower with hammers, down to lowest level.
IMG_2289.JPG

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #5  
I write more on my ABI Command Series (heavy/landscaping) TR3 Rake than anyone. Hydraulically extendable scarifiers are standard on this model. $6,500 new in 7'-6" width. I paid $3,500 used in very good condition.

Like any rake, the TR3 inflexible tines will clog with debris fairly easily so its efficacy is almost exclusively bare soil. I mostly use my TR3 rake for smoothing after harrowing with a Disc, prior to ultimate smoothing with a framed/lift Chain Harrow. Mostly landscaping work plus some food plot preparation where land may be walked by residents of senior age.

For hog damage a Box Blade would probably do as well. How much experience do you have operating and adjusting your Box Blade? An implement with a fairly long learning curve. Do you have rear remote hydraulic ports?

LINK: Rake - ABI TR3 Rake - Multipurpose Implement - REVIEW (Version 1)

Last edited:
   / TR3 Rake for hog damage?
I thought I remembered someone posting about a TR3, don't know why my searches didn't turn you up, Jeff.

I have a box blade and I also have hydraulic Top & Tilt. I've spent a few hours trying the box blade as well as my LPGS. Neither works very well.

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #7  
You approach of disk and drag is the way to go. I would replace the rail road tie with an I-beam. The rr tie is not heavy enough to do the smoothing that you need. Maybe you could bolt 2 or 3 ties together.

I traded some hay for a 10 ft I-beam spreader bar, as used with a crane. It has proven to be a good tool to blend a pasture back together. The lifting points are ideal for dragging. I use it behind an 8 foot Rome Plow. The biggest problem is also its best asset. The damn thing is heavy.

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #8  
Perhaps my hog damage was a bit different but I needed to break up the upturned sod and hopefully refill the newly made holes. Just dragging the clumps to a different area didn’t work.

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #9  
What do you use a Rome Plow for? Navy man from 1965 - 1971.

/ TR3 Rake for hog damage? #10  
What do you use a Rome Plow for? Navy man from 1965 - 1971.
The Rome plow is a heavy duty disk harrow that I would work the ground after plowing it. As you know the fields in FL can be overgrown with weeds quickly and I turned them back into hay fields.