pod removal from atv. "tracks"

/ pod removal from atv. "tracks" #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
With the snow melting down here, the pods came off the boss and wheels put back on this week. The following photos sorta shows the process which should take me less than an hour to do. :unsure: Only takes three different wrenches to do. These pods are made by Soucy and are easier to get off and on, than other manufacturers I've worked with. Let me add, we would not own a UTV or ATV that does not have pods for operating in snow. I've been using machines with them for about 15 years so I'm not new to this job.

Pods are the complete unit with all the parts, whereas the tracks are the rubber part with lugs.

P1100253.jpg

Rears coming off first and the rear pods is just barely raised off the floor. They will need to be rotated slightly to get to the last lug nut.

P1100254.jpg

Pod off and rolled to the back. Just 8 lug bolts to get it off. These rear pods weight over 100lbs each.

P1100255.jpg

I'll post the fronts removel next which is very much the same as most atv's and utv's pods switch would go. Let me know if you like this thread or ask any questions you might have...

Last edited:
   / pod removal from atv. "tracks"
Now the fronts. Let me add that most atv's and utv's with have anti-rotation mounts like you'll see here but our 6x6 doesn't have them in the rear.

In top photo you can see anti-rotation brackets attached to the springs. Some manufacturers use rubber bushings instead of springs. These keep the pods from going to high or low.
P1100257.jpg

Again the pod track is just barly off the floor.

P1100258.jpg

This shows the anti-rotation bracket being unbolted from the boss's A frame.

P1100260.jpg

Front pod off! You can see the difference in the height, they'll make your machine.

P1100261.jpg

Done! After CV boot covers are replaced and lug nuts torqued.

/ pod removal from atv. "tracks" #3  
I had a set on an 850 Ranger. We get less than you do....and decided after the first winter they were not worth the hassle.

Tracks 2.jpg

Here is a better view of a anti-rotation bracket! This anchors the arm with the rotation limiters on it and has three bolts holding it on, two need to come off while the third you just losen.
boss anti-roationmount.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a little better photo of the anti-rotation bracket and the limiters that are on them. In these photos, you can see the drive sprocket is smaller diameter than the tires are, typically about 70% of them. Since spinning these pods takes HP, this slows your machine down but gives you the torque to run them in snow. Any questions???

frontpodboss357.jpg

Last edited:
   / pod removal from atv. "tracks" #6  
Great post Arly. I have a Polaris General on order and giving some thought about adding the pods. They are spendy but I think would be great on the lake this winter. If I ever got property in the U.P. then it will be a definite purchase. I just wish you would share some of your "normal" snowfall with the rest of us.

Thanks TC. (y) I thought you were looking at homes in northern WI??? Running with pods on while in deep snow, really is fun.
defsnow75.jpg

Here is some pods from the past. Any questions or comments??
pods in bus shed.jpg

/ pod removal from atv. "tracks" #9  
We found property in northern Wisconsin. Its nice but still not enough snow for me but I have to negotiate with the junior partner so I haven't given up on the U.P. just yet. In the meantime I was hoping to find a yooper who spends their winters in the south (crazy don't you think) and would rent their place to me in the winter. Summer in Wisconsin in winter in the U.P. Sounds like nirvana to me.