Tractor gun, what do you guys think?

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #121  
I carry a recurve bow and a couple of arrows.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #122  

I wish I had that kind of confidence with my accuracy!

I just got off my Kubota after dragging a treetop off to my "throwaway corner" of my back pasture. The treetop was too covered in poison ivy to cut up and/or burn. After dumping the treetop I was making my way back to the barn along the tree-grown fence line that I share with a neighbor -- and saw a snake climbing a tree. I didn't care what kind of snake -- it was a target. I happened to have my 1911 on my belt loaded with JHP +P. I'm sad to say it took six shots from 20 feet before I was successful.

Normally, I carry a Taurus Model 86 .38 Special target revolver with a 6" barrel as my tractor pistol (holster on the tractor inside right rear fender), and I always carry a pistol on my tractor. I load the .38 with a couple of shot shells first in order followed by whatever is handy. Sometimes, like today, I'll have my .45 ACP. Another choice is my Saiga .410 shotgun. And finally my Taurus Judge 3" Magnum -- which is really my primary motorcycle carry piece -- might be with me. Judges are fine with the right ammo -- mine has completely satisfied my requirements.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #123  
I just picked up a .357 leaver action this past weekend that is going to be my truck/ tractor gun. It has a 16" barrel so it will be fast to handle. Good for snakes, dogs, yotes, deer- just about everything I might run into including 2 legged varmits.
Also Tarurus has come out with a Judge Carbine that looks handy.

Attachments

• R92-55008.jpg
    R92-55008.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 100
  • taurus_circut_judge-tfb.jpg
    taurus_circut_judge-tfb.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 135
   / Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #124  
I just picked up a .357 leaver action this past weekend that is going to be my truck/ tractor gun. It has a 16" barrel so it will be fast to handle. Good for snakes, dogs, yotes, deer- just about everything I might run into including 2 legged varmits.
Also Tarurus has come out with a Judge Carbine that looks handy.

That Judge carbine does look neat. There was a similar rifle made a century ago. If I recall correctly, it was a Buntline Special.

But that lever action would be a better choice. Is that a Marlin 1894?

How are you planning to carry it? Scabbard affixed to the ROPS?

I have an 1894...but I reckon I'd carry my old SKS IF I was going to carry a rifle (which I'm not planning on)

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #125  
For a rifle, I'd go with a M1 carbine in a scabbard attached to a FEL upright. That using 110 gr soft or hollow points.

For a handgun I'd go with my S&W mod.60 Chiefs Special 2" .38 Special with 146gr wadcutters. Incredibly accurate to 25yds.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #126  
well i guess i'll put my 2 cents in. . . when i'm in the woods i'm a mossburg 590 fan. Will kill most all 4 legged animals, all 2 legged, and will vaporize the ones that slither:D

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #127  
That Judge carbine does look neat. There was a similar rifle made a century ago. If I recall correctly, it was a Buntline Special.

But that lever action would be a better choice. Is that a Marlin 1894?

How are you planning to carry it? Scabbard affixed to the ROPS?

I have an 1894...but I reckon I'd carry my old SKS IF I was going to carry a rifle (which I'm not planning on)

The .357 is a Rossi ( Puma). More than likly I will go with some form of scabbard for it. I still have to do a tear donw on it to clean it good and polish the action

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #128  
I have been reading this with great interest. I carry two guns a Ruger Rancher Carbine, .223 Remington, scabbard on ROPS and either a .357 or a .45 ACP on my side. I often find myself too far from the tractor and the rifle, but the sidearm is always available. I also have a Henry Golden Boy in .357, a very nice shoot'n iron, too nice to carry on the tractor.

Most of the critters I worry about are mama bears (black bears, no griz in my neighborhood) with cubs, just way too easy to get between them when you are paying attention to work, cougars (although recently well fed by a bugeoning deer population), and coyotes (of which we have wayyyyyyyyy too many.) I suppose an occassional timber rattler is possible, but I have yet to see one.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #129  
I'm considering something like they had mounted on the hood of the old bi-wing planes in WW1! Mounted on my 'bota's hood! And I don't have to worry about shootin' up my prop!:thumbsup:

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #130  

I have a BIL that is good with one. Even with a shotgun I have trouble hitting the target. :)

Last edited: