Tractor lots are full

/ Tractor lots are full #371  
That line of reasoning is based on an assumption that utility tractors will need the type of repair that requires a dealer. That is only an assumption, and I'm not at all sure it is correct.

From my reading in TBN, after the warranty is over most tractors don't require anything at all from the dealer. With minimal maintenance and checking the fluids, tractors tend to go for many years with no need for a dealer.
Things do wear out however and some of them do require dealer intervention, especially when they require specialized tools to fix.

/ Tractor lots are full #373  
   / Tractor lots are full #375  
That line of reasoning is based on an assumption that utility tractors will need the type of repair that requires a dealer. That is only an assumption, and I'm not at all sure it is correct.

From my reading in TBN, after the warranty is over most tractors don't require anything at all from the dealer. With minimal maintenance and checking the fluids, tractors tend to go for many years with no need for a dealer.

Just in what I've experienced, and what I've seen here, it seems like if a machine will need warranty work it'll be within the first few months. Obviously there are exceptions to that, but I'd argue a dealer is important from the outset, and that the importance will wane as time goes on.

/ Tractor lots are full #376  
I spent two days tracking down brake shaft seals for my 20 year old Mahindra with less than 800 hours that show no longer available on the Mahindra parts website. One dealer's parts had a newbie that couldn't look up the part. Another dealer parts department mistook the brake seal for an axle seal. The third dealer's parts dept. got it right and found the new substitute part number in about a minute.

In my situation, I don't think I can handle pulling the rear tire that weighs 460 lbs with ballast, much less do I know how to replace the seals (there are two on the shaft) that are leaking gear oil. Dealer's quote to replace those seals $2,000 plus transportation both ways.

40 year old Yanmar with 1,004 hours still tight and leak free.

Buying a lesser tier tractor may save some money up front, but those savings can disappear in time and money later on.

/ Tractor lots are full #377  
“Everything is expensive “

I’m sitting here reading this thread and my wife is talking with her sister on the phone about a new store in town selling 5$ cookies. (She bought 3 and paid 17$)

….and people continue to pay
Your not kidding.
I need some 3" PVC schedule 40 pipe.
I'm still in sticker shock.
Prices of everything here has gone through the roof. Everything !!

Post all the 8% inflation numbers you want.
That is FAR, FAR from what I'm seeing here the past 2+ years.
Our electric rates increased 45% last June.
Our water bill increased 25% last June.
Our groceries are up 25%
Our gas prices are still up 40%
Our propane/heating bill is up 90%.
The list goes on and on. Everything is much higher in price.
All from what I was paying just a few years ago.
Yet my pay scale remains the same

Last edited:
   / Tractor lots are full #378  
I spent two days tracking down brake shaft seals for my 20 year old Mahindra with less than 800 hours that show no longer available on the Mahindra parts website. One dealer's parts had a newbie that couldn't look up the part. Another dealer parts department mistook the brake seal for an axle seal. The third dealer's parts dept. got it right and found the new substitute part number in about a minute.

In my situation, I don't think I can handle pulling the rear tire that weighs 460 lbs with ballast, much less do I know how to replace the seals (there are two on the shaft) that are leaking gear oil. Dealer's quote to replace those seals $2,000 plus transportation both ways.

40 year old Yanmar with 1,004 hours still tight and leak free.

Buying a lesser tier tractor may save some money up front, but those savings can disappear in time and money later on.

I've followed Yanmar since a friend sold his wheat farm to buy a Yanmar dealership back about 1980. They were top of the line in quality and dealership backing - and were priced with - or even above - the most expensive tractors on the market.... those being JDs of course. Kubota hadn't yet made the move to quality at that time. 40 years later those old Yanmars are doing fine and enjoy a cult following. They still don't need much.

All tractors have axle seals - those seals all have similar lubrication and nothing the operator can do is going to abuse an axle seal enough to make it leak. The only difference is in the initial quality. And there the difference is huge. Better seals cost more to the manufacturerand ultimately to the consumer.
But a good quality axle seal is good for half a century or more....easy.,

My takeaway is the same as any tool. Quality costs more. Buy the best one you can find and expect it to last a lifetime.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / Tractor lots are full #379  
I just saw that Taylor Swift concert tickets are going for $40,000 on the resale market. Phew