Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #1  

Foozle

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
I'm looking to clear out some woods on my property and have been looking into various options. I see the Brown tree cutters/saws look good, but having to work in reverse for long stretches doesn't look super appealing. Are there any front mounted tractor options or are the hydraulics not powerful enough to be useful? If I went with the Brown, is the tree cutter or tree saw a better option, in general, for clearing smaller trees and brush? Or am I better off saving up for a skid steer type piece of equipment and just getting a front mounted cutter for that?

Thanks!

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #2  
Here's one.

Video lets you see it in action.

Takes a surprisingly low amount of hydraulic flow to operate.

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #3  
How about one of these:

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #4  
Like the looks of this one, uses cylinders to run blade

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws
Thanks for all the info!

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #6  
Check out Tony's Tractor Adventure on YouTube, he just used a tree shear that worked pretty good!

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #7  
I may be missing something on these things. If I need to cut that many small things at ground level seem a bicycle handle trimmer with saw blade works. If you are cutting anything big enough you don't want it falling on you, it seems you may be better off with a chainsaw so you can hinge it and control where it falls. If you are trimming that high above your tractor it seems like you are going to get the bar stuck and some point and then what happens?? I assume using the loader to just force it out is a bad idea with that long of a pivot. Maybe they are built way tougher than a normal chainsaw bar... I need to re-watch a video on these as I'm sure they have their place for physical limitation reasons and probably others. I've used a tree puller on trees I should have been smart enough to not, and it took only once for it to start coming back towards me to realize I'm not in a skid steer or cab with cover. I am also boring and don't like that much excitement in my day :)

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #8  
Watched the mini-clip video again. If you were trimming stuff not much higher than the ROPS it might be good. Looks nice that it rotates to snip horizontal o vertical. Like anything, if you don't get to crazy with it, it may be fine. The problem is the longer I own something, the more I have to keep myself in check.

I am in the middle of trying to clear some woods too and am trying something new with the EA toothbar and box blade. This is in an area I'm not planting and just clearing so I am ok with roots left in the ground. The toothbar rips small stuff and pushes it into piles. I'll try to push piles and go back with the grapple. I'm clearing lots of stuff the size of your thumb to 2-3" bushes. fi you do try one of these post how it went. In a perfect world, a skid steer and mulcher would make this all a non-issue for what I'm trying to clear.

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #9  
Bought cheap battery polesaw at walmart, figured I'd eventually break it and wanted to minimize my losses. At todays prices the treated 4x4 might be the most expensive part.

/ Tractor mounted tree cutter/saws #10  
I'm just in the process of building a Tree Buster type for the fel. Cutting at ground level and being able to mow over the area without fear is right on the money. No fast spinning blade or chain, easy to control. I'll probably add a little single point grapple near the tip. Lots of ideas floating around the web, depends on tools and abilities. Metal supplier had a covid shut down, new ssqa plates are being done for next week.