Tractor Shortages

/ Tractor Shortages #141  
When I hear our old two cylinder JD chug-puffing away I'm reminded of Click and Clack:

"Suppose you have two people who don't know what they are talking about. Do they not know twice as much as one person? Or only half as much?"

chug-puff, puff, puff.....
Follow me said the blind man to the deaf man! :D

/ Tractor Shortages #142  
It would be interesting to put up a poll as to whether folks think this is a short-term problem or not. Would seem that we'd have to set some sort of time constraint since there is CERTAINTY that eventually the planet will no longer exist (guessing that when the sun dies that so too will the earth): I suppose, however, that if the earth is devoid of life that there then couldn't be any shortages as there wouldn't be any demand? :unsure: I'll state that I'm Long tractor shortages, in the long-term! :D

/ Tractor Shortages
Spending more time at home means buying more tractor parts this year.

I kind of expected that my local brick & mortor tractor dealers would have the best access to parts, but what I've found is the on-line dealers & part houses seem to have the best parts selection.
And they've become real easy to deal with.
rScotty

/ Tractor Shortages #144  
It would be interesting to put up a poll as to whether folks think this is a short-term problem or not. Would seem that we'd have to set some sort of time constraint since there is CERTAINTY that eventually the planet will no longer exist (guessing that when the sun dies that so too will the earth): I suppose, however, that if the earth is devoid of life that there then couldn't be any shortages as there wouldn't be any demand? :unsure: I'll state that I'm Long tractor shortages, in the long-term! :D

It’s not getting better until the country gets back to work and that’s not happening anytime soon.

/ Tractor Shortages #145  
I just ran into some shortages getting parts for our old John Deere, and like a lot of us, it got me to wondering where this is going to lead.
Right now the shortages are novel, but becoming more of a problem every day. That makes now a good time to discuss things.

Some might say politics was a cause, but I think that was minor. Historically, the world has always had diverse politics and decent trade going along at the same time in spite of each other.

In my mind the big trigger for the shortages was the worldwide pandemic. It took a pandemic to show us just how fragile world's modern manufacturing and distribution system really is.

Right now I'm wondering if this really is just a problem just for a few years and then back to normal..... or will the shortages create a whole different world? And what would a different world trade look like for tractor owners?
rScotty
I'm no fan of JD but in all fairness,your difficulty in getting parts probably had more to do with the labor union strike than anything.

/ Tractor Shortages #147  
rScotty,
Below is the price of diesel fuel for last 5 years.
Never been higher than now.

View attachment 722104

Below is the price of gasoline over the last 5 years
Never been higher than now

View attachment 722106

Interesting charts, but they don't say where those prices were taken. Our diesel costs less than that.

My point is that it is normal for people to think that the entire rest of the country is experiencing the same things that are affecting them locally.
And it's just not so.

rScotty
Here is a chart to refute the "Never been higher than now."
statement.
Screenshot (57).jpg

Very convenient to select only the last 5 years. And also not using inflation adjusted dollars skews the graphs.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Shortages #148  
Yes, @Hay Dude should have used this chart to make his point, and yes it HAS been higher.
Thanks for giving credit where it is due! Looks like they are on track to beat the old record though.
I wish I could "cheer him on" but that is verboten.

/ Tractor Shortages #149  
Spending more time at home means buying more tractor parts this year.

I kind of expected that my local brick & mortor tractor dealers would have the best access to parts, but what I've found is the on-line dealers & part houses seem to have the best parts selection.
And they've become real easy to deal with.
rScotty
Are you having issues getting parts from Wickham? For me no issues this year or last. Might have just been lucky.

/ Tractor Shortages #150  
Yes, @Hay Dude should have used this chart to make his point, and yes it HAS been higher.
Thanks for giving credit where it is due! Looks like they are on track to beat the old record though.
I wish I could "cheer him on" but that is verboten.
One would have to adjust for inflation in order to truly compare apples to apples. That high of about (just above) $4 in 2008 is $5.14 in today's dollars: we have another 25% increase to go in order to match. Handy site to calc this stuff: Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2021

All said, however, and I've been trying to educate people about this for so many years now I've lost track: it's not COST, it's AFFORDABILITY. Cut fuel prices to $1/gal and your wages down to $3/hr and tell me whether that $1/gal fuel cost is low.