Tractor Shortages

/ Tractor Shortages #151  
Spending more time at home means buying more tractor parts this year.

I kind of expected that my local brick & mortor tractor dealers would have the best access to parts, but what I've found is the on-line dealers & part houses seem to have the best parts selection.
And they've become real easy to deal with.
rScotty
The model has been slowly going toward distribution centers as retail outlets: think Costco/Sams etc. And many retail centers are moving toward being primarily on-line: grocery outlets provide grocery deliveries, though this is a tough market to make work (companies like Schwans is likely a better model- you have to schedule though, be on a route).

Close scrutiny will show that things are condensing/compressing- NOT expanding (growth in the bigger picture is retreating).

As I cannot get decent parts for my cars locally I order from the Internet: I have a couple of primary vendors that I utilize.

/ Tractor Shortages #152  
One would have to adjust for inflation in order to truly compare apples to apples. That high of about (just above) $4 in 2008 is $5.14 in today's dollars: we have another 25% increase to go in order to match. Handy site to calc this stuff: Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2021

All said, however, and I've been trying to educate people about this for so many years now I've lost track: it's not COST, it's AFFORDABILITY. Cut fuel prices to $1/gal and your wages down to $3/hr and tell me whether that $1/gal fuel cost is low.
Do you have a chart that shows fuel prices and inflation together? It seems that inflation was pretty much in check until fairly recently.

/ Tractor Shortages #153  
Do you have a chart that shows fuel prices and inflation together? It seems that inflation was pretty much in check until fairly recently.
If fuel was just over $4/gal back in 2008 (looking at the graph that was given above) then one need only use the adjusted value of a dollar per inflation statistics to understand what that fuel-to-dollar ratio would be in today's dollar. This valuation holds for ANYTHING priced in dollars.

Go to the link and plug in $1 for any year you like to see what the affects of inflation has been. If you're interested in "recent" then just pick your favorite year(s). If you want a graph you could likely find one: Fed publishes all sorts of fancy graphs.

/ Tractor Shortages #154  
Just checked the inflation calculator on my home.

It sold new on 1921 for $2400

According to the inflation calculator fast forwarding 100 years the value would be $37,000 or 1445%

However the current market value is 800k +/-

Looks like Real Estate is a stellar performer...

/ Tractor Shortages #155  

According to the inflation calculator fast forwarding 100 years the value would be $37,000 or 1445%

Yeah, but you've likely paid out the difference in property taxes! :LOL: As the saying goes: Land, they ain't making any more of it. "Money," on the other hand...

/ Tractor Shortages #156  
Yeah, but you've likely paid out the difference in property taxes! :LOL: As the saying goes: Land, they ain't making any more of it. "Money," on the other hand...
Just put my $3600 annual tax payment in the mail...

/ Tractor Shortages #158  

Using Einstein's Rule of 71 (one of his few contributions to science).... [any given interest rate divided into 71 will tell you how many years it takes your principle to double..... 10% = about 7 years. 7% = about 10 years to double]

Assuming a compound interest rate of 7% (which is low) an investment in a Mutual Fund at that rate would turn that $2400 into -- Untold Millions. And millions. And millions.

Hard to compete with that.

But I agree, Real Estate really is where it's at. They ain't making anymore of it.

/ Tractor Shortages #159  
And interesting that we claim that we have to have at least %3 "economic" growth. How fast can rats run?

/ Tractor Shortages #160  
(companies like Schwans is likely a better model- you have to schedule though, be on a route)
Paul Schwan is a fraternity brother of mine. Route sales worked well for them especially with rural customers.