Tractor submerged.....

/ Tractor submerged..... #1  

JoeinTX

Platinum Member
Tractor
'51 ford 8N
Well, ****....

The little 8n got about 80% covered this morning as the bottom fell out of this tropical storm that just passed through our area. We've had some extreme rain before and the water has gotten about 1/3 of the way up the rear tires but never like this. I've never seen that much water personally in my life. Amazing how fast it happened.......2am last night the little creek I live next to was well within its banks.....8am this morning there were dead fish on my rear stoop and somebody's jet ski was (still is) in my yard.

Anyway, as soon as I can I'm going to check/drain the fluids. Thinking of ways water could have gotten in I am worried about the breather, exhaust, and all the dipstick ports. What else do I need to think about or do.

Sorry, this is Texas............I've never had a tractor get submarined before. Ever.

/ Tractor submerged..... #2  
Sorry to hear that. I would drain out rear end, all 3 plugs as well as engine.
If it got over carb that may need drained out, why you are at it pull plugs to make sure you do not have water in cylinders.

/ Tractor submerged..... #3  
Well, ****....

The little 8n got about 80% covered this morning as the bottom fell out of this tropical storm that just passed through our area. We've had some extreme rain before and the water has gotten about 1/3 of the way up the rear tires but never like this. I've never seen that much water personally in my life. Amazing how fast it happened.......2am last night the little creek I live next to was well within its banks.....8am this morning there were dead fish on my rear stoop and somebody's jet ski was (still is) in my yard.

Anyway, as soon as I can I'm going to check/drain the fluids. Thinking of ways water could have gotten in I am worried about the breather, exhaust, and all the dipstick ports. What else do I need to think about or do.

Sorry, this is Texas............I've never had a tractor get submarined before. Ever.
Had a Wisconsin irrigation pump and motor under water a couple of times back in the early 70's. The cap for the air filter was the only thing sticking out. When I pulled the dip sticks out water shot out of both sides. The Wisconsin air cooled had 2 dip sticks.

I drained all the water out then filled the crankcase with diesel fuel and used the crank handle to turn the engine over a few times then drain it again and fill with engine oil. Once you drain the water you need to get oil back in it and try and get it running so things don't start to rust.

/ Tractor submerged..... #4  
Sorry to hear about the 8N.
May I suggest that all the electrical connections and contacts be thoroughly dried out also, there shouldn't be too many of them. Back in 1992 when our downtown went under water people who tried to save their cars started having electrical troubles a few months later.
good luck.

/ Tractor submerged..... #6  
I wish you people could steer some of that rain towards w.v.,,its been the driest its ever been here in southern w.v.,,,I'm not one of those suberbinite weekly yard mowers,,but,,I've only mowed my yard about once in going on three months now...[and it currently don't need mowing].

/ Tractor submerged..... #7  
Joe, I'm really sorry to hear about your flash flood damage. I don't have a lot to offer except to suggest draining and flushing. Remember that alcohol will absorb water and help with drying. Also, any water that got into the casings should be at the bottom unless it gets stirred up. Good luck with your drying project.

/ Tractor submerged..... #8  
Sorry about your tractor, but I'd love to see a few pics of the jet ski and fish on your stoop!

/ Tractor submerged..... #9  
sorry to hear about the flood.as been said before get the old fluids out real quik and new in. the less time it takes the better. and make sure NO water in the cylinders before you try to crank it over