Oil & Fuel Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #101  
Presumably they are paying income and sales taxes. User revenues don't cover all road costs. They are subsidizing your use.

Steve
Everyone (just about) pays sales and income tax.
Just as there are millions of drivers across the country subsidizing mass transit both directly and indirectly without ever benefiting. The blade cuts both ways.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #102  
Do the car drivers not pay all the other same taxes as the bicycles?

I didn't say otherwise. But to claim that bicyclists are "moochers" is missing the fact that motorists are not picking up the full tab of their road use -- general revenues are picking up part of the tab. From the link above, it looks like 47.5% of state and local road spending in TN came from general funds in FY2014.

When it comes to wear and tear on roads/bridges and the resulting need for repairs, how much of that wear and tear is due to bicycle traffic versus car/truck traffic?

Steve

Last edited:
   / Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #103  
Everyone (just about) pays sales and income tax.
Just as there are millions of drivers across the country subsidizing mass transit both directly and indirectly without ever benefiting. The blade cuts both ways.

My point is that a motorist calling a bicyclist a "moocher" for his/her road use is like the pot calling the kettle "black."

Steve

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #104  
I am not going to continue to go back and forth on this. If a group of people find a way to pay a nominal portion of taxes going towards roads, ignore traffic laws causing accidents and then demand that lanes be converted from vehicles to bikes, they are moochers. Please let the thread get back to dyed fuel.
This thread, like many others, once the original topic has "run it's course" often veers off course, with no practical value other than killing time.

Just how much more could be said after 100+ comments on the use of red dyed diesel fuel? :rolleyes:

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #105  
IMHO - if law enforcement has the time to check a tractors fuel type as it is transiting on a county road - perhaps there are too many LEO's in that jurisdiction.

Ya' think? Of course, all that deadwood has to justify its gorging at the public trough somehow.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #106  
Yes.

(I ride a bicycle for about 0.001% of my road use miles and agree and try to be courteous to automotive traffic, not being selfish and using my slower speed and increased vulnerability to inconvenience others.)

But I did appreciate the answer to my question - that the only difference in the fuel is the dye. As I work in the city, I can fill my 5-gallon cans with auto diesel in the city for 20 cents cheaper per gallon than the red-dyed near my property.

Thanks.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #107  
Is it legal to use red dyed fuel in an unlicensed bicycle, operated by an unlicensed driver, on a public road, without an SMV sign, on the way to a school function promoting agriculture, if there is no bike lane?

Bruce

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #108  
All people benefit from road networks. Walkers, bike riders, and auto drivers. Fire trucks, ambulance, mass transits busses, and numerous forms of delivery systems. Pizza to your home, grocery, medicine to your local store, even the bikes themselves are delivered to point of sale by road. Various products used for building homes and apartments used by bicycle riders, manufacture of bicycle tires, bicycle paint, bicycle accessories and the clothes bicycle riders wear are all delivered by road.
So its only fair that everyone including bicycle riders help pay for the roads.
Now if the vehicle is used to help provide materials and has little on road use itself then I can understand no fuel tax and the use of red dye diesel. Such as forestry machines, mining equipment, farming tractors, etc. See I even kept it on topic for the original thread :)

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #109  
This thread, like many others, once the original topic has "run it's course" often veers off course, with no practical value other than killing time.
QUOTE]

Since there is no bounty on bike riders, killing time is the best we can hope for anyway.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #110  
I can see this thread getting locked. It's gone in the wrong direction in the last 24 hours. Thankfully the OP got the answer to his question.