Oil & Fuel Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #111  
Everyone (just about) pays sales and income tax.
Just as there are millions of drivers across the country subsidizing mass transit both directly and indirectly without ever benefiting. The blade cuts both ways.
Mass (train type) transit takes many, many vehicles OFF THE ROAD which is a huge benefit in a congested city. Bicycles take 1 car off the road and replace it with 1 slow moving bike riding IN THE ROAD ignoring traffic laws. I would rather have and pay for mass transit and have bicyclists pay for bike lanes. I would tolerate bicyclists better if they were courteous and obeyed the laws. Ours cut you off and flip you off.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #112  
Mass (train type) transit takes many, many vehicles OFF THE ROAD which is a huge benefit in a congested city. Bicycles take 1 car off the road and replace it with 1 slow moving bike riding IN THE ROAD ignoring traffic laws. I would rather have and pay for mass transit and have bicyclists pay for bike lanes. I would tolerate bicyclists better if they were courteous and obeyed the laws. Ours cut you off and flip you off.

My objection is to paying surcharges on drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, and payroll taxes to support mass transit I never use. I don’t drive in areas served by subways or commuter rail.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #113  
back on topic...
I get a fill up of my 250gal farm diesel tank once a year. Use it in three tractors and two mowers. All for property maintenance, I'm retired.
Since I could not/did not want to provide a "real farmer" certification, I had to, and actually wanted to in this case, pay the State tax,
which therefore reinforced my non commercial usage. For sure I keep that diesel delivery slip proving the tax was paid.

My real question is what am I buying? ULSD fine. But that's like saying gasoline. What does that tell you? Not much to me.
What cetane? When manufactured? What additive package? Any testing or verification done?

I buy from just about the only supplier around and they are the primary supplier to local farms. Pretty sure I'm safe but
what annoys me is that as a consumer, I'm running blind on what I'm buying. Just one of a hopefully continuing happy herd...
And why I put diesel additives in my tanks regularly, with added cetane and lubricity. I assume the worst and go from there when I have
no proof to the contrary.

When I had a diesel dually this was a real issue to me, wondering if I was going to get stopped and checked out.
I think my white truck was too clean and didn't look like a farm truck...;); bought for hauling a fifth wheel rv.
Now with a gas truck it's a non issue. But the only trucks I see pulled over by inspectors are large, log trucks and dump trucks.

I drive around the long country block to get to my property's opposite side to mow roadsides, and do a little maintenance.
Already got written approval from my homeowner's insurance company saying I was covered, and frankly I would just love to chat
with Officer Bob about my tractor use. As he can clearly see I mow the roadsides to make the whole community look nicer.
I'd like to see him give me a citation for that...not going to happen out here in farm country. Closer in to the city, that's where the action is I bet.
The area near the city but still farmed, all those officious types out to collect revenue and justify their existence.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #114  
pour in some blue dye to change your red dyed fuel purple!

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #115  
250 gallons for me would be 500 operating hours. That's a LOT of seat time! :thumbsup:
I would have to be careful though.I'm not sure if running winter grade fuel in summer causes problems but having summer fuel at the start of winter sure did.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #116  
250 gallons for me would be 500 operating hours. That's a LOT of seat time! :thumbsup:
I would have to be careful though.I'm not sure if running winter grade fuel in summer causes problems but having summer fuel at the start of winter sure did.

Yes, and it's hard to get a straight answer out of the fuel jobbers. Mine still don't know if #1 Heating Oil is ULSD or not? Still waiting on an answer.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #117  
We don稚 have state income taxes so bicyclists pay nothing there. We pay some of the highest fuel taxes in the country and the state taxes electric vehicles to offset for fuel they don稚 use. Bicyclists? Nothing. They are moochers that should start paying their way.
View attachment 557051View attachment 557052

Commercial vehicles pay extra based on weight, because weight causes more damage to roads.
What costs do you think that bicycles incur on the road infrastructure?
Do you have a proposal for how to tax them fairly?

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #118  
We don稚 have state income taxes so bicyclists pay nothing there.

So, how does your state receive revenue? Property Tax? Excise Tax? Personal Property Tax? It gets it from somewhere. Would be pretty sure it's not ALL from fuel/

We pay some of the highest fuel taxes in the country and the state taxes electric vehicles to offset for fuel they don稚 use. Bicyclists? Nothing. They are moochers that should start paying their way.

I take great exception to this statement. The slant of that term is active, not passive. As in, bicyclists are on a soap box, and have swayed legislation to give them something (they don't deserve).

While I don't agree with "alternative energy" subsidies, I don't consider those who take advantage of them "moochers", just those that are using what our current slate of legislators have made available to them.

While I (as a bicyclist myself) have no more respect for those few who stand out by their boldness and disregard for law or common sense than you, have to ask, "what does it 'cost' to allow a bicycle to use the same road you do?".

BTW, I would be willing to bet that, by shear number, there are more disrespectful users of roads by drivers of cars than bicycles on the road in the USA.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #119  
So, how does your state receive revenue? Property Tax? Excise Tax? Personal Property Tax? It gets it from somewhere. Would be pretty sure it's not ALL from fuel/

I take great exception to this statement. The slant of that term is active, not passive. As in, bicyclists are on a soap box, and have swayed legislation to give them something (they don't deserve).

While I don't agree with "alternative energy" subsidies, I don't consider those who take advantage of them "moochers", just those that are using what our current slate of legislators have made available to them.

, "what does it 'cost' to allow a bicycle to use the same road you do?".

As in dollars practically nothing unless they build some stupid bike lane. The problem is they go a fraction of the speed limit and are usually inconsiderate.

/ Tractor Use of Red Dyed Fuel on Public Roads #120  
Some of this is perception. We have nice newly paved bike lane/paths and pot holes in the streets and the city just restriped the bulk of the streets taking away parking spaces to make a bike lane. No need to discriminate, just be fair to everyone and as a summer motorcycle rider we have no special "spaces" or parking and I have been yelled at several times by car/truck drivers for taking a whole parking space which are now in short supply. Oh yeah, then there are "gangs" of bike riders on the sidewalks, one of which hit a fellow in a wheel chair in front of my wife a few weeks back...let's be fair out there!!!