Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,401  
Now, what do I do with it? I have cleaned up everything except the trunk of a large cottonwood. I burned everything so far - with some difficulty! Had to cut into pieces small enough to move. It's giving my chainsaw and little tractor a workout. There is still about 25' yet to move. Lots of ants too.

Attachments

• image-385315064.jpg
    image-385315064.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 226
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,402  
NOT a problem at all, Jim...

standard.jpg

:)

SR

Are you washing the logs to clean them up before milling?

I have no experience with skidding or milling and always wondered how often skidding would pick up rocks to cause a problem milling.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,403  
Some times there's no way to get the logs out, with out getting them pretty dirty, so they get a good wash,

standard.jpg

Anyway, then they go to the BSM and are sawn into what ever I need,

standard.jpg

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,404  
Some times there's no way to get the logs out, with out getting them pretty dirty, so they get a good wash,

My FIL made a log-lift for the 3PH on his bigger tractor so we can take trees out of the woods without getting them muddy.

IMG_1257.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,405  

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

Thanks for the explanation... I learn something every visit at TBN

On a separate note... I will be doing some cutting in the woods and all will be fine and then it won't cut... never fails... some old barbed wire, nail/spike... even square nails.

It sure doesn't take much to dull a chain and quick... like a rock that somehow the tree grew around.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,406  

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

Thanks for the explanation... I learn something every visit at TBN... almost looks like a small firehose?

On a separate note... I will be doing some cutting in the woods and all will be fine and then it won't cut... never fails... some old barbed wire, nail/spike... even square nails.

It sure doesn't take much to dull a chain and quick... like a rock that somehow the tree grew around.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,407  
My FIL made a log-lift for the 3PH on his bigger tractor so we can take trees out of the woods without getting them muddy.
That works "some times", but when you are selective cutting timber out of a woods, "snaking" the logs out from between trees with a winch, you just can't get them out any other way... Many times it's not mud, it's sand and composted leaves ect...

Once you have the room, then there's a number of ways to keep logs from getting dirty, but it's just so fast/easy to wash them, I quit worrying about dirt long time ago... lol

BTW, I use a std. fire hose and nozzle, so it's the "high volume" that does the job of cleaning!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,408  
That works "some times", but when you are selective cutting timber out of a woods, "snaking" the logs out from between trees with a winch, you just can't get them out any other way... Many times it's not mud, it's sand and composted leaves ect...

Once you have the room, then there's a number of ways to keep logs from getting dirty, but it's just so fast/easy to wash them, I quit worrying about dirt long time ago... lol

BTW, I use a std. fire hose and nozzle, so it's the "high volume" that does the job of cleaning!

SR

Rob, are those 48" forks with your grapple?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,409  
Rob, are those 48" forks with your grapple?
Yes, and they are the PERFECT size with the matching grapple.

When I sort "certain logs" out of a pile, like the pictured cherry,

standard.jpg

I can hold one log with the grapple, while I dig another out of the loaded trailer. That's how I sort my logs as I unload them, that way they go on the right pile, to be milled later.

Another really great thing about this combo is, I can hold one log back with the grapple until I'm ready for it, as I roll the front log onto my sawmills deck. It keeps the logs cleaner and every thing goes faster, with less trips to the log pile.

It never ceases to amaze me how useful this combo is!

SR

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #3,410  
What are proof lines?

The 3 indicator lines etched or stamped into the steel plate are there to show
you easily if the holes have been stretched. If so, the lines will no longer be
straight.