Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,401  
I'm jealous of you all working in sunshine and short sleeves while it's 48 degrees and pouring rain again here.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,402  
Looking to buy a good forestry helmet for tree cutting. Reading some
of the reviews and it seems like many buyers are finding faults
with their helmets. Like to get one that will work well and last
a while.

I have been using a Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet for about 7 years (yes, I know - OSHA says you should replace these helmets every 5 years, but I'm not using it commercially, so it lives most of its life hanging on a peg in my garage out of the UV light, so the plastic has not degraded.) I've been very happy with it. There are two flavors of this helmet: one has a ratchet fit on th ehead strap which you adjust by turning a knob, the other has snaps that you adjust. I had the less expensive snap type, which worked fine for me, since I was th eonly one using it, and ony occasionally wore a liner or light hat underneath. I do like rhe ratchet adjustment a bit better, and that would certainly be the one to get if you anticipated needing to adjust the size with any frequency. The ONLY problem I've had with this was that I needed to replace the face screen a year or so ago - but that was my own fault. Cramming the helmet in my job box repeatedly results in it finaly getting mangled beyond what I could just push back into shape.

My new helmet is a Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet (not to be confused with their Technical Arborist Helmet). It's lighter and more comfortable, ,ratchet size adustment, better ventilated (so I hope more comfortable in the warmer weather). Costs more, but a very nice helmet. THe only downside: after a brief appearance in the US a couple of years ago, NO ONE in the US seems to have them (despite the fact that they are shown on Husky's US website). I eventually ordered one from England on E-Bay. It turned out it was cheaper, even with shipping than what they were listed at in the US.

WHatever brand you get, make sure you get a model with a 6-point suspension harness. THey are more comfortable than the cheaper 4 point suspension, and provide significantly better protection.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,403  
A week ago. We have had two more dumps of snow since then. 2.5 to 3 feet total.

IMG_20170211_153313.jpgIMG_20170211_153325.jpgIMG_20170211_153423.jpgIMG_20170211_155840.jpgIMG_20170211_161013.jpgIMG_20170211_162321.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,404  
Looking to buy a good forestry helmet for tree cutting. Reading some
of the reviews and it seems like many buyers are finding faults
with their helmets. Like to get one that will work well and last
a while.
I have a Bullard helmet with 6 point suspension and ratchet fit adjustment with the Peltor ear muffs and screen attachment. I have had this system for over 10 years and have replaced the helmet and screen once.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,405  
I have been using a Husqvarna Pro Forest Helmet for about 7 years (yes, I know - OSHA says you should replace these helmets every 5 years, but I'm not using it commercially, so it lives most of its life hanging on a peg in my garage out of the UV light, so the plastic has not degraded.) I've been very happy with it. There are two flavors of this helmet: one has a ratchet fit on th ehead strap which you adjust by turning a knob, the other has snaps that you adjust. I had the less expensive snap type, which worked fine for me, since I was th eonly one using it, and ony occasionally wore a liner or light hat underneath. I do like rhe ratchet adjustment a bit better, and that would certainly be the one to get if you anticipated needing to adjust the size with any frequency. The ONLY problem I've had with this was that I needed to replace the face screen a year or so ago - but that was my own fault. Cramming the helmet in my job box repeatedly results in it finaly getting mangled beyond what I could just push back into shape.

My new helmet is a Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet (not to be confused with their Technical Arborist Helmet). It's lighter and more comfortable, ,ratchet size adustment, better ventilated (so I hope more comfortable in the warmer weather). Costs more, but a very nice helmet. THe only downside: after a brief appearance in the US a couple of years ago, NO ONE in the US seems to have them (despite the fact that they are shown on Husky's US website). I eventually ordered one from England on E-Bay. It turned out it was cheaper, even with shipping than what they were listed at in the US.

WHatever brand you get, make sure you get a model with a 6-point suspension harness. THey are more comfortable than the cheaper 4 point suspension, and provide significantly better protection.

Excellent post! :thumbsup:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,406  
I eventually ordered one from England on E-Bay. It turned out it was cheaper, even with shipping than what they were listed at in the US.

Husqvarna Technical Forest Chainsaw Helmet Ear Defenders And Visor Adjustable | eBay

No affiliation with seller, but here's a link for those curious.

Other than the mesh on the regular Pro Forest Husky helmet, I like mine. Is the new version worth double?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,407  
Other than the mesh on the regular Pro Forest Husky helmet, I like mine. Is the new version worth double?

The Pro Forest Helmet with the snap-type adjustment generally sells for $45-$50. With the ratchet adjustment, it sells for around $60. (Both of these do not include shipping). The Technical Forest Helmet cost me less than $90 including shipping. That was certainly worth it to me (which I guess is obvious, since I bought it). It's cooler to wear in warm weather, seems lighter (though I have not weighed them to compare), I like the visor tip-up mechanism better, and the hearing protection is mounted separately from the visor - so in warmer weather, I can remove the hearing protection entirely and just wear ear plugs, saving that weight. The difference in price amounts to peanuts for something I'll likely wear for 5 years (maybe more of the UV indicator doesn't go off). On the other hand, I'm probably more sensitive than most to carrying around extra weight on my head, due to a neck injury in college.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,408  
This morning was probably my last trip to the saw mill for a while. We have plenty of snow and ice but it is 50* this afternoon and the roads and trails are falling apart fast. Nothing but warm weather forecast for the next 10 days with a big rain this weekend. So unless winter comes back I am done until the end of mud season.

My half buried log pile.

P1150793.JPG

Grabbing a 12 and 14 footer together

P1150797.JPG

Not a big load but I thought I better get rid of it while I can. The mill yard can get muddy and they shut off.

P1150805.JPG

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,409  
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #4,410  
20170223_132219.jpg

Attachments

• 20170223_132219.jpg
    20170223_132219.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 231