trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #81  
I'm curious if any of the trails you help maintain are ADA accessible? I've seen a few in hilly country, but it's tough.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Yes, The NFS was told to build some ADA trails in the 90's and given the funds to do so. No $$ to maintain them afterwards. Our buddy is paraplegic and did that, but gave up after years of maintaining it when the members couldn't do it any longer. Its called the Circle of Life trail. The below photo is it. Its covered with a crused gravel and impacted. It doesn't look like in my poor photos, but you can run a wheel chair down it.
boss saw66.jpg

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #83  
Let me add, we have been so, so happy with the utility of this 6x6 it having a box, small size on narrow trails, push snow with it and all. We are looking at replacing it with a more powerful and newer version. Its one of the best trail tools we've owned. View attachment 703632

I had one of those from back when it was a 250 cc, and only the back 4 wheels were powered. Lots of fun!

/ trail clearing technique and tools #84  
   / trail clearing technique and tools #85  
The thing about ADA trails is that they get used by older folks and Moms with strollers. Too bad yours were abandoned.

The thing about ADA trails is that they get used by older folks and Moms with strollers. Too bad yours were abandoned.
It wasn't abandoned but the NFS isn't given the funds to keep it or various trails up. It was being used but not kept up. We claered it this past fall and the photo of the boss on it was taken while getting it done.

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #87  
So it is being kept up in reasonable condition? That looks like a cool area.

Well guys, seems the SD card in our camera the weekend photos were on from doing trail work has failed. :cry:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #89  
So, I gather that you (and friends) volunteer on the trails. Not bad duty. How many days/month are you out there?

So, I gather that you (and friends) volunteer on the trails. Not bad duty. How many days/month are you out there?
We clear several trails, three in the Ottawa NF and one in Chassell township. We spend between 200 and 400 hour per summer for the two of us. Top photo is our friend Dean we cleared the Circle of Life for. More photos of us doing this can be seen on the dogs blog.
col0451.jpg
col621.jpg
col459.jpg