trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #91  
That is noble work. It's fun too, until a straight line wind comes through.

Why do you prefer the pole saw to a conventional chainsaw?

/ trail clearing technique and tools
That is noble work. It's fun too, until a straight line wind comes through.

Why do you prefer the pole saw to a conventional chainsaw?
Because we can more work done with them and its safer to operate. We own one pro stihl saw (the MS260 if anyone cares) and three pole saws which we have worn out.
saw01.jpg
polesaw641.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #93  
I get the utility of a pole saw for limbing and such, but wouldn't a woods ported 50cc chainsaw be better for chunking up the bigger stuff?

1626214562261.png

It may appear I'm new to saws but I was certified with the NFS some 15 years ago and still are today. You need to be a certified sawyer in order to volunteering on there trails. We were also clearing trails for many years before then. We do get more work done with pole saws. :whistle:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #95  
It may appear I'm new to saws but I was certified with the NFS some 15 years ago and still are today. You need to be a certified sawyer in order to volunteering on there trails. We were also clearing trails for many years before then. We do get more work done with pole saws. :whistle:
Interesting, I have a old Stihl pole saw I rarely use unless I'm cutting high limbs. May try utilizing it more. Always cutting limbs off lots of old overgrown Xmas trees keeping paths open between rows. BTW Arly A we're you at the Marquette sports how a few years back at the upmtb booth? They were looking for volunteers to clear and maintain trails.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #96  
I didn't mean to impugn your skills. I was just trying ti figure out how a pole saw cuts through the bigger stuff faster than a decent chainsaw. 🍻

Maybe a little trail clearing history would help??

In the later 90's, we started to help a fellow who maintained all by himself a back county XC trail system of about 10 miles in length. He really didn't but that's another story! We hiked out there with little loppers, axles and the like. We had to do lots of walking since we did not have a ATV then and driving in was very limited. We didn't get very much work done! Was a real eye opener doing and we quickly we realized we needed power tools and larger everything. :unsure:

After the turn of the century we moved here and started to do bike trails and more ski trails. We went to IMBA school for doing bike trails and XC grooming school (cross country skiing) which of course covered trail maintenance. Sometime along here we got a home version chain saw.

Around 2012+- we stated to help maintain the North County Trail near us and to carry a saw out there, you had to attend the NFS sawyer training and certification program. This was a real wake up experience safty and equipment wise and I loved this program in general. After that, I got a professional saw. One thing they talked about was the hazard of sawing over your head. Since clearing trails required branch after branch being cut, not to mention cutting trees in the middle of a brush pile, a pole saw was obtained. Around then we got to using the 32" fiskars gear loppers which today we still use and got our 1st heavy string whackers. Still doing XC and hiking trails today but bike trails went by the way side.

To date we've been to trail maintenance course put on by IMBA for cycling trails, ski trails training and hiking trail maintenance by the NCT. We been to training courses in all these genres, multiple times. They are kind of fun to attend. :)

So over the years we used larger and larger loppers, more heavy string whackers and today we are switching to .170 string ones. Pole-saws in which will take care 98% of all the trees we need to cut out there and we use them so much we wear them out. They will cut still cut a large dead fall plus take care of all those overhead branches with the same tool. Its not space or time effect to have more than two saws in the feild with us. Today we also use a 6x6 and its box to carry everything out with us, at least when that is practical and legal. I should add its easier to buy large or professorial tools, than it is to find volunteers.

Let me add, most of the work clearing trails is bucking the slash off the trail, and out of sight.

So yes, I do own a pro saw. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #98  
Yes, Thanks.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #99  
If you need an excuse to buy more toys ...