trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #101  
   / trail clearing technique and tools
Speaking of mowing trails, the Chapman tow behind flail is one I'd like to try. I contacted them and they will be setting up an importer for north America.

Some specs are below
FM-Pro-Series-ATV-Flail-Mower-Wheels-Trailing-Mudguards.jpg

chapman-mower-5.jpg

ATV FLAIL MOWER FEATURES AND BENEFITS

• The Chapman ATV flail mower has a Honda commercial grade GXV630cc 21HP V-Twin engine, featuring an oil alert warning system built in the oil pump, to ensure maximum engine protection when mowing fields or woodland on steep, sloping terrain. The ATV flail mower powerful engine is supported by Honda's reputation for performance, reliability and spare parts back-up when required.
  • These quad flail mowers are built to the highest standards in the UK, using 8mm and 5mm gauge heavy duty steel.
  • The large diameter rotor arm is perfectly balanced to a G6.3 dynamic specification to ensure the smoothest cut possible.
  • Unique double helix rotor blades system gives an unrivalled mowing result.
  • Blade or flails options: High boron content steel or forged hammer.
  • Adjustable rear grass deflector to suit different mowing applications.
  • A full width anti-scalping roller protects the quad mower blades from damage.
  • The twin belt auto-tensioning system reduces belt wear and slippage for the ATV Flail mower when used under rough conditions.
  • The ATV flail mower has a straight and offset drawbar feature that can be positioned left and right to cut hedges and get into the corners of the fields.
  • Large profile 22x1x8inch tyres for low ground impact protect the field from damage.
  • These flail mowers have a single cutting height adjustment lever with ranges from 25mm up to 225mm.
10W/30 mineral oil is recommended.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #104  
Speaking of mowing trails, the Chapman tow behind flail is one I'd like to try. I contacted them and they will be setting up an importer for north America.

Some specs are belowView attachment 705911
View attachment 705910

ATV FLAIL MOWER FEATURES AND BENEFITS

• The Chapman ATV flail mower has a Honda commercial grade GXV630cc 21HP V-Twin engine, featuring an oil alert warning system built in the oil pump, to ensure maximum engine protection when mowing fields or woodland on steep, sloping terrain. The ATV flail mower powerful engine is supported by Honda's reputation for performance, reliability and spare parts back-up when required.
  • These quad flail mowers are built to the highest standards in the UK, using 8mm and 5mm gauge heavy duty steel.
  • The large diameter rotor arm is perfectly balanced to a G6.3 dynamic specification to ensure the smoothest cut possible.
  • Unique double helix rotor blades system gives an unrivalled mowing result.
  • Blade or flails options: High boron content steel or forged hammer.
  • Adjustable rear grass deflector to suit different mowing applications.
  • A full width anti-scalping roller protects the quad mower blades from damage.
  • The twin belt auto-tensioning system reduces belt wear and slippage for the ATV Flail mower when used under rough conditions.
  • The ATV flail mower has a straight and offset drawbar feature that can be positioned left and right to cut hedges and get into the corners of the fields.
  • Large profile 22x1x8inch tyres for low ground impact protect the field from damage.
  • These flail mowers have a single cutting height adjustment lever with ranges from 25mm up to 225mm.
10W/30 mineral oil is recommended.
Wonder how good it would work with all the rocks in the keewanaw?

Wonder how good it would work with all the rocks in the keewanaw?
Yes, but tech trails have used flails to mow for years. They said they like it. They have rocks, just like everyone else. :censored:

Having a privet conversation, reminded me to say what trail clearing is, as apposed to what folks might imagine. It is not frolicking through the woods, sawing everything in sight. It is much more bucking, lopping and moving the slash out of sight. We can get lots of trail cleared with one sawyer and 2 or 3 buckers. Afterwards the hikers or skiers should not notice the slash. Lots of work, little sawing but the trail will look so much better if properly done. (y)

Last edited:
   / trail clearing technique and tools #107  
Well stated. It makes a huge difference having helpers move the slash. Harder/slower work if you are doing it alone. It also helps to be in beautiful country.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #108  
Having a privet conversation, reminded me to say what trail clearing is, as apposed to what folks might imagine. It is not frolicking through the woods, sawing everything in sight. It is much more bucking, lopping and moving the slash out of sight. We can get lots of trail cleared with one sawyer and 2 or 3 buckers. Afterwards the hikers or skiers should not notice the slash. Lots of work, little sawing but the trail will look so much better if properly done. (y)

/ trail clearing technique and tools #109  
You ever think of chipping instead of hiding it? Makes good ground cover and decent walking trails, I spread in between tree rows.

You ever think of chipping instead of hiding it? Makes good ground cover and decent walking trails, I spread in between tree rows.
No. You'd need to move the chipper to the work sight, move it again every few hours as the trail is cleared, continuously move the slash to the chipper, then spread the chips out. We wouldn't get much trail work done.

If we have our 6x6 along to move tools and food along, we feel lucky. We are not shopping for a chipper.