trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
Anybody ever try aircraft cable? (Quick search shows .093 and .125 diameters.)
I'd suggest you try 155 string first. Having used 155 for many years and limited time with 170, we are not looking for cable.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #54  
I don't take any string into the trails because I'm dealing with taller grasses, blackberries (thorns) and 3/8" face-slappers.

I found a blade like this for my Echo trimmer and it's extremely helpful. Rocks don't seem to bother it and it will take out stuff just under 1-inch. It's been great for me.

download.jpg

Which head do you use for the .170 line?
We tried them in the in the "standard" three string heads but they came out to readily. They'd stay in, then loose one so it wasn't worth it. But i'd guess the manufacturer didn't plan on someone using that large of string. :sick: This is why we are excited to use the new 170 head from Stihl.

I don't take any string into the trails because I'm dealing with taller grasses, blackberries (thorns) and 3/8" face-slappers.

I found a blade like this for my Echo trimmer and it's extremely helpful. Rocks don't seem to bother it and it will take out stuff just under 1-inch. It's been great for me.

View attachment 702121
We discontinued the use of steel blades due to the rock problem. Like they are everywhere here! Plus we couldn't run them against the ground and there cutting radius is so small. Today we hope to completely swtich over to .170 string which will take out pretty large shoots and doesn't care if you have rocks or not. We have used .155 for years. This new and larger string really works well on tree shoots and if it doesn't outright cut them off, it beats the life out of them anyway.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #58  
We tried them in the in the "standard" three string heads but they came out to readily. They'd stay in, then loose one so it wasn't worth it. But i'd guess the manufacturer didn't plan on someone using that large of string. :sick: This is why we are excited to use the new 170 head from Stihl.
Ok, but you don’t actually have a .170 head yet, right? Because they are not available.

Suggestion for all people who'd like to knock down heavy weeds and tree shoots. Even bushes in some cases. Get a .155 string head for your power head. These cut much quicker and more safely, than steel blades do.
weed whacking CH (DL).jpg
string weeds57.jpg
string trail0522.jpg