trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #231  
Got some time and ran a tank of gas through the FS110 using the renegade hybrid 8" blade.
BeforeBush20211016_105238.jpg

Blade stayed sharp and bounced on a rock with no visible damage.
Sting just caught up in this mess.
AfterBush20211016_114117.jpg

Will clean the blade and see how it held up.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #232  
If the gas engine trimmer/brush cutter prohibition spreads will you be able to continue?

People said unleaded fuel was a California only thing when it started and we know how that went and with California banning sale of new equipment and some areas already outright banning use or even testing I believe it is just a matter of time… just like two-stroke outboards…

/ trail clearing technique and tools #233  
I have a battery trimmer/pole saw.
It would not be able to drive this blade.

I also have many 30"+ dead ash, doubt an electric saw would deal with that today.

Someday these battery devices will handle these kind of tough jobs, just not today.
Cycling batteries through the charge is not fun.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #234  
Yes... charge can be quick but hoe to charge remote?

Early on I bought Makita circa 1980's with optional automotive charger which worked well...

/ trail clearing technique and tools #236  
No before/after, James? Looks like you just placed that mower out in the woods for a photo-op, lol.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #238  
I did not see a make or model for the cam lock string cutter heads shown in you photos. I reviewed Amazon and stihl pages and yet to see a model quite like this you have such success with. I have several acres with fence and overgrowth and probably be able to squeeze a few more years out of a stihl string trimmer if I could locate a good string head. I had a walk behind gas engine string trimmer that used a similar head but the rest of the machine did not hold up. if you could provide a make/ model and source I would appreciate it.

/ trail clearing technique and tools
I did not see a make or model for the cam lock string cutter heads shown in you photos. I reviewed Amazon and stihl pages and yet to see a model quite like this you have such success with. I have several acres with fence and overgrowth and probably be able to squeeze a few more years out of a stihl string trimmer if I could locate a good string head. I had a walk behind gas engine string trimmer that used a similar head but the rest of the machine did not hold up. if you could provide a make/ model and source I would appreciate it.
Its a "Fixed string head" but you need one that works for .155 string if you hope to run that. We used Oregon made ones for years but now I can't locate them. I did see some metal ones but we tried them and didn't like them. Plastic is the way to go so you can run them against the ground.. The last two we purchased were Stihl built so I'd suggest you call your locale dealer. Sorry I can't be of more help. :cry:

/ trail clearing technique and tools #240  
Its a "Fixed string head" but you need one that works for .155 string if you hope to run that. We used Oregon made ones for years but now I can't locate them. I did see some metal ones but we tried them and didn't like them. Plastic is the way to go so you can run them against the ground.. The last two we purchased were Stihl built so I'd suggest you call your locale dealer. Sorry I can't be of more help. :cry:
My wife uses the same thing, she bought the head at our LHS that carries Echo (her trimmer is a light commercial Echo unit), but the head itself may be a Stihl. She also swears by the .155 for blackberries / oak shoots & suckers; before she starts I'll see her cutting a big batch of lines and then she goes out and works for a while.