trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools #241  
Sorry for being so piano. Here is a before and after pair of shots looking SW from the first pic I posted a few days ago (sitting on the deadfall). The trail continues on down the other side of the hill and a deep 30 foot ravine is just over to the right. There is also a branch to the right that goes over to another clearing I’ll try to get to tomorrow.

The 2 wheeler is great for this work except when it isn’t. On level ground it’s easy and can be controlled with one hand walking along side, but on rutted, uneven ground it can be a beast, so on uneven/ deeply rutted ground you need to strategize what direction you approach from to avoid dropping the wheels into a hole, grounding the tractor front and rear. Usually you can simply wrestle the tractor, rocking a bit to change direction and it will plow out of most situations. The filled tires help and hurt, depending.it’s tempting to run over the saplings in 2nd gear, but better to stay in first until you know what your dealing with.

I love the 853 maintenance, starts on first pull and you really just need to make sure air filter is maintained. Leaves tend to collect on the Honda engine so you need to keep that clear (theres a screen available). The del-Morino brush mower is very robust and only needs a few squirts of grease in a single zerk fitting. One thing it needs is a shield of some sort for the wiring on the right side of the Honda engine when cutting saplings.

This location (one of numerous trails, about 2 miles total I estimate) is about a 1500 foot walk from our shed, no problem with the tractor, but a long walk carrying the pole saw (though plenty of little projects along the way). Thinking some sort of sled may be in order until a proper vehicle is obtained so gas and saws can be staged as the projects get farther from the house. Really the immediate goal is over a few weeks manage to get back to all the clearings and get as many saplings (mostly beech) that are 5 years old. Talking to a fellow with skid steers and forestry heads to come in and do a proper clean up, but he shouldn’t have all the fun. One advantage of the walk behind is you‘re close to the ground so get to know the flora and fauna really well.

813365A9-0065-4AD3-B65E-5F6A4488766F.jpeg

24479D12-585B-41A9-BEE5-6415C15A9D5C.jpeg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #243  
What is the advantage of running that string trimmer without a guard? does it not throw a lot of stuff at you?

I use one of these kunz mowers around the yard, thing is a beast if you can pull it over it it will make it dissapear. from 2" saplings to 6' cattails
1635112233047.png

/ trail clearing technique and tools
What is the advantage of running that string trimmer without a guard? does it not throw a lot of stuff at you?
Yes it does so we wear double front pants. We also wear full face forestry helmets but in general, its not that big of a problem. If you are working in gravel, that's when it gets realy exciting. My spouse knocked the glass out of a less than one year old truck doing that..

On the trails this weekend. All these branches that go over the road, need to come down or the snow will do that when we want to be grooming here. What saw should we be using?
P1020308.jpg

Here the trail goes right over the Canadian Yew! Not a big deal and the land owner likes it. Its like weeds here!
P1020323.jpg

Leaners being removed. That means these small trees already lean towards the road and will come down with snow.
P1020292.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #246  
Here is a trail that I cleared today with my slightly more mechanized approach, namely a KX121 with a 4' mower head.

PCH_2021-10-21_10-38_2543.jpg
PCH_2021-10-26_13-51_2553.jpg

We spent the day clearing a trail located in the Ottawa NF about an hour south of us. Here is more info about the Deer Marsh trail. I'll post a few photos after they are processed. (yes I really do edit them :LOL: )

Up here the Spruce budworm feeds and kills the balsam fir and white spruce, and to a lesser extent on red spruce and black spruce. This keep dead-fall removal a full time job and we cleared 5 off the trail in the first 1/4 of a mile. But after we get out of the spruce area, then its more like hiking.
P1020353.jpg
P1020356.jpg
P1020358.jpg

This 3 mile trail is not atv accessible so we hike and carry all tools around with us. I hope you can see why we bring a pole saw, axe and loppers for clearing it.
P1020361.jpg
P1020365.jpg
P1020366.jpg
P1020371.jpg

The tool backpack. This Dakine Builder Pack is made for trail working.
P1020380.jpg
P1020386.jpg
P1020389.jpg