Trailer Brake Controller questions

/ Trailer Brake Controller questions #61  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This guy seems to sell a lot of trailer stuff trailer brake controller You may want to try there.)</font>

Thanks for the tip, Dargo - ordered one up from this guy, it arrived the next day.

I looked at the Tekonsha technical bulletin you linked to - doesn't seem to apply to the units he's selling. They have the latest firmware (2.4) and the serial number is well above the cutoff mentioned in the bulletin.

Great price...quite a bit cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

/ Trailer Brake Controller questions
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Brakesmart, Jordan, Prodigy, in that order. I've got a Jordan in my truck for now. )</font>

Well after digging into all this and getting quotes to install from several places I've decided to go with the JORDAN ULTIMA unit, the genuine VW wiring harness, and a Curt Hitch. I will have a 6000# capacity with that set up, which is more than I usually need. The genuine VW wiring harness will allow for the trailer lights to be integetrated into the Touareg's computer system to check for faults, and I've not found any known problems with running a Jordan unit on the Touareg (while I did find that the Prodigy caused error reading unless it was spliced into the wiring in a non-standard way).

My first choice would have been the BrakeSmart unit, it just makes a heck of a lot more sense than any of the other units, and despite its high cost, it would be easily worth the money.

The Jordan seems to me to be the next best designed unit on the market, and I like the fact that it does not soley rely on a whole bunch of electronic gizmos to compensate for road conditions in the way all the the inertial units do. Other than the complicated electronics inside the Prodigy and all the similarly designed units, I am not real comfortable with the theory behind them, but I will admit they work and are reliable, so I guess I just feel more comfortable with the concept of the Jordan controller.

Anyway, baring any problems from Hurricane Katrina, a Jordan unit should arrive sometime next week.

/ Trailer Brake Controller questions #63  
DaNag, hopefully you have the success I had with my new Prodigy controller. The install was simple and it works great. As you mentioned, it is not the "old" model that had some compatibility issues with particular Ford applications, and I don't own a Ford pickup anyway. I couldn't be happier with the controller and I think I got it at a reasonable price. Hope you have the same experience. Good luck!!