/ Trailer for this project? #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
Could go in the projects.....

this
01616_aKbAZHYhVXp_600x450.jpg

is on CL for $1000. 32' bucket lift

Lets say, we bought a 4x8 utility trailer for it. mounted it over the axle. Built some outriggers and used some trailer jacks as levelers.

Hydraulics provided by the tractor that pulls the trailer around the property to trim trees, clean gutters, etc.

Is this doable? would you do it?

/ Trailer for this project? #2  
Those booms are top heavy, so I would want a beefy trailer that was larger than a 4x8.

/ Trailer for this project? #3  
I've seen one on a large power co. truck, that lifted the off-side outrigger a bit when about 45 degrees up and out on the other side. He was lowering the occupied boom, then stopped. Lots of leverage and momentum to deal with.

Bruce

/ Trailer for this project? #4  
I would LOVE to have something like this. I agree a beefier trailer may be required. I would probably build a low center of gravity mount, with drop axles as wide as possible and mount it with a few hundred pounds of tongue weight. I would mount the outriggers as high as possible on the trailer so the base of of the manlift is "in the hole" so to speak. You are going to need some pretty long outriggers. I would probably make a set that would pivot on a swivel (pipe in a pipe sort of thing) and swing out, then extend so you can level it out and get the weight off of the tires of the trailer.

OSHA may not like it, but if you are just going to use it around your place, build it, over build it and be safe. I don't know the link, but there is a website that figures out boom leverage and that sort of thing that may help you determine how much outrigger you will need. Google is a good friend for that.

Test it like the military does. In other words, if you weigh 250 pounds, build it to support 1,000 pds and then rate it for 200 :) Mount a good set of leveling bubbles on it for every direction and be carefull on uneven ground. The tendancy is to leave weight on the tires on the high side.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/ Trailer for this project?
I think the overall size of the outriggers has more to do with the stability of it than the total weight of the trailer its sitting on.

34TOWABLELIFT-2.jpg

So if we ballpark the size (spread) of the outriggers to what already exists for a 34' towable verison..... (even on a 4x8 trailer base)

/ Trailer for this project? #6  
Trailers are made cheap though. You might as well start from scratch or how about an old disk with good running gear?

This is what pops into my mind where you lift the wheels up then your base becomes that much lower and stable.

/ Trailer for this project? #7  
To me it's all about center of gravity. If the trailer weighs more, and the center of gravity is lower, then the outriggers won't need to be as substantial. Does the boom on yours go over center on the support? Notice the genie does not. This really regulates how much leverage there is on the base. That genie will never get outside the center any further than the length of the upper boom. The lower boom cannot travel over center. Some of the utulity ones will go over center and that adds greatly to the amount of leverage. It's hard to tell by the pic of the one you are buying, but it looks like it may to me by the angle of cylinder support. That genie will get you lots of heighth but not a lot of side to side, which you may need for trimming trees, patching roofs etc.

/ Trailer for this project? #8  
Could go in the projects.....

this
01616_aKbAZHYhVXp_600x450.jpg

is on CL for $1000. 32' bucket lift

Lets say, we bought a 4x8 utility trailer for it. mounted it over the axle. Built some outriggers and used some trailer jacks as levelers.

Hydraulics provided by the tractor that pulls the trailer around the property to trim trees, clean gutters, etc.

Is this doable? would you do it?

uth oh! so your picking up the boom? if not for my own health issues. would of already bought the boom. but that has been nada... at one time i think the price was up to 1200 bucks. and at one other time i think i saw it for 800 bucks. (has been on CL for some time)

was thinking about mounting it into back of a old beater pickup truck. there has been some older "dump trucks" i saw a few months back. along with a couple flat bed pickup trucks.

i am with others, i would most likely over do the out riggers. and extend them out a tad bit further. and toss some extra weight on the out riggers to have a better lower COG (center of gravity).

your asking for guessing 1,000lbs plus clear out there on end of boom when fully extended.... all 4 out riggers going to need to support the weight plus have enough counter balance weight. to keep you from tipping it over.

perhaps "running gear" 4 wheels + frame + tounge = hay wagon but without any sort of top to it (no lumber or like) can be picked up fairly cheap used anyhow. most of them can be shortened / extended through the frame work to change overall length. might be enough frame work overall in the running gear to get 4 out riggers and position the the boom some place on it.

/ Trailer for this project? #9  
I would look at a way to tie it in to the 3 point of say a 50hp class tractor much like a 3 point Backhoe. Big outriggers and you would be all set.

Chris

/ Trailer for this project? #10  
I would look at a way to tie it in to the 3 point of say a 50hp class tractor much like a 3 point Backhoe. Big outriggers and you would be all set.

Chris

I was thinking of a rail type removable subframe for a tractor so you could basically "park" a tractor on one end, again like a backhoe, and use outriggers in the other direction.