Trailer modification help.

/ Trailer modification help. #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I am considering buying a utility trailer. It has been on the dealers lot for 2-3 years. It is 82"x20' with 15" metal side wall, 12,000 lb rating and mesh rear ramp gate. I like the rear gate for loading smaller stuff such as ZTR. However, I would like to occassionally load my JD 3720 CUT or Toolcat. I think the mesh gate won't be strong enough. If I beef up the tailgate, it may get too heavy to easily lift. Suggestions? I have considered making a set of regular ramps to lay over the mesh gate and then load heavier stuff. I could store them under the trailer. Could just reinforce the mesh gate where the TC and CUT tires travel? TC weighs over 5K plus attachments.

/ Trailer modification help. #2  
You could use a elegator or gorilla lift for assistance with the weight of the trailer gate after modifications. A search in G**gle for "trailer gate lift system" returns plenty of options. I was going to reinforce the mesh gate on my first trailer, but then a good deal came up on another trailer.

Carl

/ Trailer modification help. #3  
I am considering buying a utility trailer. It has been on the dealers lot for 2-3 years. It is 82"x20' with 15" metal side wall, 12,000 lb rating and mesh rear ramp gate. I like the rear gate for loading smaller stuff such as ZTR. However, I would like to occassionally load my JD 3720 CUT or Toolcat. I think the mesh gate won't be strong enough. If I beef up the tailgate, it may get too heavy to easily lift. Suggestions? I have considered making a set of regular ramps to lay over the mesh gate and then load heavier stuff. I could store them under the trailer. Could just reinforce the mesh gate where the TC and CUT tires travel? TC weighs over 5K plus attachments.

Weld 2-3 pieces of angle iron under the mesh where the tires will go, that should be enough without adding a lot of weight, if you cant get it up easily, something like a gorilla lift will work wonders (and I would recommend it if you have a single piece gate)

Aaron Z