Trailer shaking at 60MPH

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #31  
I had a similar issue on a 20' heavy duty bumper pull trailer. The dealer and I fought it for 2.5 years. We changed, rotated, and balanced tires several times and none of that solved the problem.

I was ready to trade the trailer, when my dealer called the factory to see if they could help. It turns out the bolt that the spring is supposed to rest on had been tightened too much and the spring could not rest on the bolt. After we opened up the shackle and allowed the spring to rest on the bolt, the bouncing went away.

In this picture taken before we opened up the shackle, you can see at the red arrow that the shackle is squeezed just a little and did not allow the spring to rest on the bolt.

View attachment 684992

I'm trying to reason out what you are saying but I'm not having much luck at it. The bolts only purpose is to keep the spring from coming out of the shackle, not to hold up the spring. Maybe the bolt was tight enough to squeeze the shackle into the sides of the spring?

I'm sure I am missing something.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #32  
I'm trying to reason out what you are saying but I'm not having much luck at it. The bolts only purpose is to keep the spring from coming out of the shackle, not to hold up the spring. Maybe the bolt was tight enough to squeeze the shackle into the sides of the spring?

I'm sure I am missing something.

I don't fully understand it either. The 'shackle' that the bolt runs through at the red arrow in the picture, had been tightened too much and it had squeezed the 'shackle' which did not allow the spring to function properly.

When we opened up the 'shackle' the bounce went away.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #33  
So the spring would come up (like under weight compression) and would not freely release back down because shackle squeezes too much. Restricted movement.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #34  
I would think that would be messy to repair and hard on tire gauges.
No, that would make a patch about half the size of a dollar bill on the bottom of the tire.
Shouldn't get into a gauge unless you try to get it in.

Aaron Z

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #35  
I would think that would be messy to repair and hard on tire gauges.

Why would 4-6 oz be messy? How would the AF get to the tire gauge? Are you sure you're thinking this through?

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #36  
Have 'em all balanced, at a reputable tire shop!
This^^^ had my tires balanced on my 20 ft.Pj trailer world of difference in how it pulls down the road.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #37  
Why would 4-6 oz be messy? How would the AF get to the tire gauge? Are you sure you're thinking this through?

Maybe I am over thinking? Antifreeze is nasty, doesn't dry or evaporate. It will coat the tire, wheel and valve stem. Anytime you check the air, I would think a spec of antifreeze would get in the gauge. You would also need to wash the tire and dry it, for a patch to stick.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #38  
I think I will balance all my tires at next state inspection.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #39  
I don't fully understand it either. The 'shackle' that the bolt runs through at the red arrow in the picture, had been tightened too much and it had squeezed the 'shackle' which did not allow the spring to function properly.

When we opened up the 'shackle' the bounce went away.

The best reasoning I can come up with is when running over a bump the spring would move down within the shackle then wedge in the lower position. That would cause the axle to be low on one side so it wouldn't track right. Future bumps or a load would free up the spring.

Maybe, maybe not.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #40  
I think I will balance all my tires at next state inspection.

Good thing!
Hauling a tall stack of old grass clippings around calls for a smooth running trailer!

Last edited: