Trailer shaking at 60MPH

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
This is on a delta goosekneck flat bed. It has single wheels with two axles. I had a blow out last summer with about 10,000lbs on the trailer. Replaced the tire and after that the trailer wants to shake, enough to rattle the dash in the truck. Its fine until it gets up to around 60MPH. I did replace the other tire on the same axle which didn't help and I haven't touched the tires on the back axle. It doesn't seem nearly as bad when the trailer is loaded.

Would this be a problem with the first new tire I bought??

Do I need to replace the two tires on the back axle? They are the original tires on the trailer when it was new in 2009.

I guess my next step is to take that one tire back off and take it up to the shop and see if its really out of balance. I just didn't think a tire out of balance would cause that much shaking.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #2  
Wonder if the wheel was bent in the blowout ?

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #3  
This is on a delta goosekneck flat bed. It has single wheels with two axles. I had a blow out last summer with about 10,000lbs on the trailer. Replaced the tire and after that the trailer wants to shake, enough to rattle the dash in the truck. Its fine until it gets up to around 60MPH. I did replace the other tire on the same axle which didn't help and I haven't touched the tires on the back axle. It doesn't seem nearly as bad when the trailer is loaded.

Would this be a problem with the first new tire I bought??

Do I need to replace the two tires on the back axle? They are the original tires on the trailer when it was new in 2009.

I guess my next step is to take that one tire back off and take it up to the shop and see if its really out of balance. I just didn't think a tire out of balance would cause that much shaking.

Have 'em all balanced, at a reputable tire shop!

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #4  
An unbalanced tire Especially on a heavy trailer like that shouldn't be too noticeable (if at all) but an out of round tire definitely would.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH
Yes they are Mastertrack ST235/80/16

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #7  
Have someone follow you while driving, if its as bad as you say you should be able to see it.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #8  
Jack that side up, spin the tire and check both rims on that side for run-out. 10 minutes. Good luck.

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH #9  
I would replace the tires on the rear axle, they are 11-12 years old. Probably out of round/cupping or they may have some broken belts. The rear axle will wear faster than the front so I always rotate my trailer tires. Mine get a lot of miles tho.

Here is a tire with broken belts. 0605180551.jpg

/ Trailer shaking at 60MPH
Well it’s not the new tire or the wheel. I put the spare on and it was just as bad. I guess I’ll replace the back tires and hope that fixes it.