Trailer weight ???

/ Trailer weight ??? #1  

John White

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Most trailer specs don't give the empty weight of the trailer. I have a 12K Bob Cat style trailer 16" I figure it weighs around 2500 empty. Sometimes I haul a piece of equipment that weighs around 10k so I figure that puts me about 500 over the listed gvw. Although it has always handled it ok I have always kept my eye open for a used 18' 14k trailer that was priced right. Most want over $3,000 and you can buy a new one for under $4.5 and tires are wore out and who knows about the brakes. i finally run onto one 18' 14K. Built pretty stought. My old one has 5" channel, treated boards for deck, light duty jack. cross members 2' on center. One I am looking at has 6" channel frame, oak boards for deck, cross members 16" on center. heavy duty jack. How much more would this trailer weigh than mine. No mfg plate on it. Will I notice much difference in the way it pulls. I am thinking weight wise loaded it might easier because I won't have to put my load so far forward to get it on. I tried to get the guy to take it and have it weighed but no place close by to weigh it. Registration doesn't say.

/ Trailer weight ??? #2  
I bet your weight estimate on your 12K trailer is light by 2-300 lbs. I used to own an 18 foot 7K LoadTrail car hauler style that weighed just shy of a ton. 3.5K axles and 15 inch tires.

You do get to subtract tongue weight from the trailer gross weight.

/ Trailer weight ??? #3  
3k-3.5k lbs probably. All you can do is call the manufacturer and ask or start measuring up the pieces and do the math yourself even then you could be off a bit.

/ Trailer weight ??? #4  
Most trailer specs don't give the empty weight of the trailer. I have a 12K Bob Cat style trailer 16" I figure it weighs around 2500 empty. Sometimes I haul a piece of equipment that weighs around 10k so I figure that puts me about 500 over the listed gvw. Although it has always handled it ok I have always kept my eye open for a used 18' 14k trailer that was priced right. Most want over $3,000 and you can buy a new one for under $4.5 and tires are wore out and who knows about the brakes. i finally run onto one 18' 14K. Built pretty stought. My old one has 5" channel, treated boards for deck, light duty jack. cross members 2' on center. One I am looking at has 6" channel frame, oak boards for deck, cross members 16" on center. heavy duty jack. How much more would this trailer weigh than mine. No mfg plate on it. Will I notice much difference in the way it pulls. I am thinking weight wise loaded it might easier because I won't have to put my load so far forward to get it on. I tried to get the guy to take it and have it weighed but no place close by to weigh it. Registration doesn't say.

My 14K x 20' bumper pull, with wood deck, ramps, and HD electric winch, weighs exactly 3,500 lbs.

/ Trailer weight ??? #5  
I have Loadtrail and Big Tex trailers and a PJ trailer before that. All three websites give the empty trailer weights for various styles and lengths. You can probably get a good estimate by comparing frame depth, cross members, decking, etc.

/ Trailer weight ??? #6  
I live in Ohio and purchased a Butler tilt trailer which came from Maryland with a title but the BMV won't give me plates until I get it weighed to verify it is under 4000 lbs. since the title only states 10,000 GVW.
If your trailer weights over 4000 lbs empty you have to title it.

/ Trailer weight ??? #7  
You don't have a grain elevator, concrete ready mix, scrap metal recycler, landfill/transfer station, etc, close by? They usually have scales.

/ Trailer weight ??? #8  
You don't have a grain elevator, concrete ready mix, scrap metal recycler, landfill/transfer station, etc, close by? They usually have scales.

Yup......I had my trailer weighed at the local "transfer station".

Last edited:
   / Trailer weight ??? #9  
To give you a comparison, I have an Ironbull 14K 20' equipment hauler that actual weight was 2960 lbs. The Ironbull web site showed that trailer at 3600 as did the title. I later added a winch mount so now it is right at 3000 lbs.

IMG_1072.JPG

/ Trailer weight ??? #10  
for gosh sakes get it weighed. everyone should know what their trailer weighs, if for no other reason than to compare with others.

campers included!

the next pull vehicle you get might depend on it.