Trailering Advice Needed

/ Trailering Advice Needed #11  
I would put them at the back in the center and rear stalls over the axles. The weight of the trailer alone, with the axles so far back, should give you the tongue weight you need, 10%-15% of trailer weight. Our Warmbloods weigh 1400#-1500# so which stall they are in makes a difference. Also consider the weight of the tack in the tackroom. If your trailer has the collapsible tackroom in the rear putting the saddles back there can put some weight at the back.

The trailer looks pretty level. Because the Sundowner bumper pull hitch is not that far off the ground, you may consider a drop for the receiver hitch to help level out the tow vehicle. I like a slight nose up for the trailer which would also help.

What do you use your “warmbloods“ for? How many do you haul, at a time?

Good post.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #12  
You sir are the reason I come here. Thank you for taking the time to provide a fantastic explanation. We show Paso Fino horses. They are a little smaller than a quarter horse. I never thought of the tack room 🤦🏻‍♂️. We will load middle and last stall and I will report back. Again, thanks!!!

What colors are your horses? I don’t know much about the Paso Fino breeds.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #13  
It looks like you might be able to keep most weight over the axles and slightly aft if you don't use stall 1. Also, I know a weight distributing hitch is not made to deal with resolving tongue weigh issues, but it is made to transfer tongue weight to the front axle. And it is a some trouble each time you hook up.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #14  
I don't know. This may not make you happy, I am sorry about. But I am probably wrong. If we start empty without worrying about the horses. The trailer weighs 3200. The axles are far back as stated by Xfaxman. Just as a rough guess, half of the trailer weight is 1600. Looking at the picture, what is the trailer tongue weight empty. Maybe 1000 to 1100 pounds? I don't know. Now if you add any load, the tongue weight will be the same if load is over the axles. If any forward of the axles, it will also add to the tongue weight. (which may already be too heavy. ) What should the tongue weight be? 3200 + 1900 (2 horses) = 5100. 10%-15% = 510 to 750. I would be concerned about the tongue weight. Not to mention what the tow rating to the tow vehicle may be. The tow vehicle may have steering problems with front end up and less weight on the front. If overload payload and rear axle rating, may be very hard on the tow vehicle. Just quick thoughts. best wishes

A weight-distributing hitch would be good to have, for this setup, in my opinion.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #15  
A weight-distributing hitch would be good to have, for this setup, in my opinion.
Your earlier post with the drawing helped a LOT. It gave a better idea of where the stall weight is compared to the axles. The first picture made me think most of the stall weight was forward of the axles.Thank You

/ Trailering Advice Needed
What colors are your horses? I don’t know much about the Paso Fino breeds.

We have several-a paint, chestnut, black, grey and white. Great horses. Very spirited

/ Trailering Advice Needed #17  
Here is how I would load that trailer, as long as there wasn’t a bunch of heavy tack. If the tack added to a lot of weight, I would consider switching the lightest and middleweight.

3FF45515-F637-407C-874D-B4C320D09950.jpeg

/ Trailering Advice Needed
I don't know. This may not make you happy, I am sorry about. But I am probably wrong. If we start empty without worrying about the horses. The trailer weighs 3200. The axles are far back as stated by Xfaxman. Just as a rough guess, half of the trailer weight is 1600. Looking at the picture, what is the trailer tongue weight empty. Maybe 1000 to 1100 pounds? I don't know. Now if you add any load, the tongue weight will be the same if load is over the axles. If any forward of the axles, it will also add to the tongue weight. (which may already be too heavy. ) What should the tongue weight be? 3200 + 1900 (2 horses) = 5100. 10%-15% = 510 to 750. I would be concerned about the tongue weight. Not to mention what the tow rating to the tow vehicle may be. The tow vehicle may have steering problems with front end up and less weight on the front. If overload payload and rear axle rating, may be very hard on the tow vehicle. Just quick thoughts. best wishes

The tow rating of the pictured vehicle is 8300lbs.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #19  
The tow rating of the pictured vehicle is 8300lbs.

Key words “up to”. Just because that series vehicle might have been offered like that doesn’t mean yours is.

/ Trailering Advice Needed #20  
What do you use your “warmbloods“ for? How many do you haul, at a time?

Good post.
To the OP - I imagine your Paso Fino are gaited. They are pretty to watch when they move, especially if they have the long flowing main. I particularly like the paints.

Our horses ride in a Sundowner 3H GN, so I have a little more leeway with tongue weight. My wife rides dressage. We are down to 2, a retired 27 y/o Holsteiner and a 10 y/o Oldenburg at 3rd level, both 17.2 hands. Lost our Grand Prix level schoolmaster recently to spinal stenosis at age 25, threw her head up while the vet was checking her teeth to see if they needed to be floated, she lost use of her hind quarters and went down.