Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #21  
Dougster said:
Now that would be a major help if true. Holy Cow! The state cops surely never said anything about that... and we went over every micro-detail when I was buying my equipment trailer and tiedowns! If you can point me at that particular rule in writing, I owe you one VERY tall beer!!! :)

Dougster

This is the section that covers your tiedown connectors...it simply says what forces it has to contain in Gs...

This is the entire section dealing with safe operation...
Part 393: Parts and Accessories Necessary for Safe Operation

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #22  
ok maybe im not reading something correct but i still dont see where we can use our pins for our small equipment. the way i read it a trooper can make the determination of which sub section, article number, chapter, book 31 of 137, that we are supose to go by. ugggg.

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #23  
PaulChristenson said:
Doug...here is the section you want...

Close, very close! First check out this version of section 393.130. 393.130 Scroll down to 130 then click on "yes" to get The interpretation

The link worked when I edited my post but I am quoting it here to anyway.

(Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

Guidance: No. However, the accessory equipment must be properly secured using locking pins or similar devices in order to prevent either the accessory equipment or the item of construction equipment itself from shifting during transport. [Editor’s Note]

Question 2: How should I secure the accessories for an item of construction equipment which weighs 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more, if the accessory devices would extend beyond the width of the trailer if they are lowered to the deck for transport?

Guidance: The accessory devices (plows, trencher bars, and the like) may be transported in a raised position, provided they are designed to be transported in that manner. However, the accessory equipment must be locked in place for transport to ensure that neither the accessories nor the equipment itself shifts during transport.

Question 3: A tractor loader-backhoe weighing over 10,000 pounds is being transported on a trailer. The loader and backhoe accessories are each equipped with locking devices or mechanisms that prevent them from moving up and down and from side-to-side while the construction equipment is being transported on the trailer. Must these accessories also be secured to the trailer with chains?

Guidance: No. However, if the construction equipment does not have a means of preventing the loader bucket, backhoe, or similar accessories from moving while it is being transported on the trailer, then a chain would be required to secure those accessories to the trailer.)

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers
Mama Mia... and a thousand pardons for ever doubting you guys! QRTRHRS and Paul appear to be right... at least in terms of the DOT's own "guidance" if not the actual regs themselves. :confused: Sounds like I owe more than one beer here! :eek:

I wonder where this leaves me in regard to the Massachusetts State Police enforcement unit? :confused: Sounds like it's time to call again and ask what's up with this interpretation? Does it apply here or not? Last time I called they insisted that the FEL bucket and backhoe both be lowered to the bed and chained down... and they were well aware of my red beast's ~7,000 lb weight (at that time... now pushing ~7,350 lbs with larger HD FEL bucket, backhoe thumb and added hydraulics).

This raises some interesting questions. My backhoe latches: a) vertically and, b) to one side. But I don't like to latch to the side as that throws the lateral weight distribution way off. Does this mean I don't have to lower the BH to the deck... but I still must chain it against side-to-side motion? :confused: Does it work that way? Or is it an all latched or nothing kind of deal?

The bottom line is that this "guidance" probably won't affect me much when using the equipment trailer. I've already got plenty of Gr. 70 chains and binders, so why take a chance on an uninformed cop? But what does this mean in regard to the shorter dump trailer? If I am latched up and chained to prevent side-to-side motion, can the BH hang out over the rear doors? Or should I just accept that I must run latched up and to the side as well... in which case I can probably fit completely within the box but be way out of balance??? :eek:

So many questions... so little time. I need to buy that new dump trailer this week! I hope the state cops over at enforcement are in a good mood today! :)

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #25  
guess i was leagal all along...
i had to paste that info into another thread of mine called "am i leagal"
thanks guys

doug hope it all works out for you. now who is making all the bank, buying a dump trailer, must be nice. im still holding out for the one ton dump, maybe when i get back from mexico i start looking.

workinallthetime said:
guess i was leagal all along... i had to paste that info into another thread of mine called "am i leagal" thanks guys doug hope it all works out for you. now who is making all the bank, buying a dump trailer, must be nice. im still holding out for the one ton dump, maybe when i get back from mexico i start looking.
Hi Dan - I had followed your other thread with obvious interest. Sometimes it seems like you can never be safe enough or legal enough! Still gotta talk to those MA state cops though. My family history dealing with cops is not very good. Unlike my girlfriend who could sweet talk a cop out of a murder rap, seems that in my family we never run into one of those "reasonable" ones. :rolleyes:

No "big money" rolling in yet. :( In fact it is all rolling out so far... second remote set, new bucket, new thumb, jack hammer, endless tools and small stuff. After this dump trailer comes all the three point hitch stuff... and THEN, everything after that I make myself! :D

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #27  
Dougster,

The beer sounds good although logistics negate it happening. Actually, I was not aware of that little explanation until your original post intrigued me. I too am thinking about going to a dump trailer if and when I buy another gooseneck.

As a truck driver, I have hauled just about everything but since I currently pull vans, have not necessarely kept up with changes.

I was also researching current laws on the load length extending beyond the trailer. Within length limits, you can go to four feet before you need to flag the extended load though I personnally flag just about any overhang.

I also know that at night, extended loads must have auxillary lighting but I cannot find that verbage either.

Here in Pennsylvania, we can glean some info from our states website The Vehicle Code (Title 75) That helps some in a state where even the "locals" are being qualified to do DOT inspections.

QRTRHRS said:
Dougster, The beer sounds good although logistics negate it happening. Actually, I was not aware of that little explanation until your original post intrigued me. I too am thinking about going to a dump trailer if and when I buy another gooseneck. As a truck driver, I have hauled just about everything but since I currently pull vans, have not necessarely kept up with changes. I was also researching current laws on the load length extending beyond the trailer. Within length limits, you can go to four feet before you need to flag the extended load though I personnally flag just about any overhang. I also know that at night, extended loads must have auxillary lighting but I cannot find that verbage either. Here in Pennsylvania, we can glean some info from our states website The Vehicle Code (Title 75) That helps some in a state where even the "locals" are being qualified to do DOT inspections.
I called the state police commercial vehicle enforcement division today, but couldn't speak with a trooper... something about me owing them donuts for all this nonsense!!! :eek: Just kidding... I'll try again later. :)

We are really dealing with two different issues: One being the ability to run with the backhoe latched vs. chained to an equipment trailer deck... as covered by the interpretation/guidance you found...and the other being the ability to run with an equipment load protruding from the back of a dump trailer... latched vertically and chained to restrict side-to-side motion... and flagged or lit as appropriate to the time of day.

I believe the DOT guidance you guys found is pretty clear on the first point... and it's just a matter (for me) of finding out whether or not the MA state police accept that interpretation as law.

But it's really the second point that has more bearing on the dump trailer issue and I'm still not sure how to approach that with "the man." If there are these elusive "new rules" that the trailer dealer talked about... where the heck are they? It bothers me that he could easily just sell me a much bigger trailer and make more money... but he is warning me against that because he's had feedback from customers that it's now illegal.

Something is fishy somewhere. :rolleyes:

Dougster

Well, I finally got through to a commercial vehicle enforcement officer. He was not familiar with the "guidance", so I read it to him. At first he told me that I still needed the bucket tied down to the deck in Massachusetts... but upon further explanation of my tractor and backhoe design he reconsidered and conceded that they would allow latching in lieu of chaining of my backhoe. More important to me, he said they would allow latching of the boom in the vertical position and lateral chaining of the bucket to prevent side-to-side motion... thus relieving me of the side latching arrangement which would throw my equipment trailer out of balance.

Sadly, he abruptly hung up on me before I could get out my second question specifically about dump trailers. :( He was none too pleased about my call. One allowed "victory" to callers per day I guess. :eek:

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #30  
Dougster,
I think you've done all you can do without actually hitting the road with your tractor in your new dump trailer. Not to say QRTRHRS is wrong, but it was my understanding that you could have nothing over THREE feet from your rearmost tail lights... night OR day (from the friendly NH Highway Enforcement). Though.... i no longer drive professionally, so perhaps something has changed. Honestly... i think if you load your tractor in YOUR NEW DUMP .... chain down the tractor, front and rear. Chain over the bucket... BH pinned up, and chained side to side... you should be all set (as long as nothing extends more than three feet beyond your tailights). I can't tell you how many times i've heard i (or whomever) was wrong, even though you pull out the law book and show them you are right.... they're INTERPRETATION of the law says I (or you) am wrong! Famous last words : Tell it to the judge !! Unfortuneately.... in this day and age, its less about safe vehicles, and MORE ABOUT REVENUE !!!!!

By the way..... i'll gladly accept one of those beers !!!

Scott