Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #11  
+1 on this. Our A/C does not have a thermostat. You can "adjust" the temperature, but it's either freeze or sweat.

Yes, this was my 1st. rv ,and I didn't know a lot about them .. I didn't pay alot for it ($5000.00) ,and Ive used for about 5-6 yrs. It's a hybrid.. When It gets time to replace the rubber roof.. It's gone

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #12  
Yes, this was my 1st. rv ,and I didn't know a lot about them .. I didn't pay alot for it ($5000.00) ,and Ive used for about 5-6 yrs. It's a hybrid.. When It gets time to replace the rubber roof.. It's gone

Ours is on the living quarters for the horse trailer. We'll also upgrade or so something different when the unit dies. The trailer is 7 years old and A/C is the original equipment, but doesn'get heavy usage. 4-5 weekends per year for the living quarters, plus maybe a week horse camp trip. The trailer gets used a lot more often for hauls to the trainer, vet, single day horseshows, but the A/C isn't used. Tailer lives under cover when not in use, so the roof is in good shape (and it's galvalume)

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #13  
Dr, we're on our third travel trailer now. And, it was bought new in '98. We love'em! Old bull gave excellent advice, I second it. Really, these things will about last forever with just a little care. Priority is storing under a roof, carport, etc. Our current one is a smaller 7' wide x 25' long Aerolite. All aluminum frame and galvanized trailer frame. Very well made. But - my dream trailer is the Oliver! Check it out: Oliver Travel Trailers | Fiberglass Travel Trailers

Those things are built for any weather!! But you pay! I think they are about $50,000. And, like the Casita, about impossible to find used. I don't know which company was first, Oliver or Casita with this all fiberglass build. I've pulled our current trailer thousands of miles. Last time we used it though, there was a water pipe leak, which I'm working on today! Froze and busted! Even though I've been draining these things many years, reckon I missed something one time! Oh well, worth it, and a very cheap, albeit difficult, fix.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip
Those Olivers do look like a step above but they seem pretty exclusive. It appears they have no dealers and to see one you have to visit a current owner. They must be good if they can operate like that.

Similar with Casita. From what I can tell, they are also high quality but hard to find.

Checked out Airstream -- I always considered them the gold standard -- and indeed they must be gold plated. If I had the money to buy one of those I would probably buy a villa in Tuscany. :)

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #16  
You will find that in quality units have thermostats on their heat pumps/AC and therefore shut down and come back up. In addition have never had a roof leak from pop UPS, pop outs, and Airstream. You might try looking at used Airstream on the various forums dedicated to what you are looking for. There perhaps you will find folks that KNOW of what they are talking about rather than what they heard at the barbershop. Yes, a good used Airstream is in the $8k or so and up range; but once again, you pay for what you get. My refurbished 89 if for sale, would easily bring in the $18K to $25K range........... depending upon season.
Right now is the WORST time to try to get a "deal" on an RV. It's the beginning of the summer travel season and folks are wanting one. Try looking in the deepest of winter cold...............
You will be surprised on how much truck it actually takes to "pull" a unit. A small unit like you are looking at can be handled easily by the 150/1500 class of trucks; but truly anything larger will need a 250/2500................Folks will tell you that you can get by with a 6 cylinder............ so funny and another barbershop tale. That's true if you are in the flatlands of Florida; but get going up a 10 mile 4% grade and you will be pushing that steering wheel as hard as you can while VW beetles pass you.ha

What you really need to be sure of is if your truck....TV...tow vehicle, has the brakes and suspension that will work with the tongue weights, side forces, and braking forces that it will have to handle. In addition having the best brakes that you can get are a MUST.

Have been doing the RV/Airstream thing for many years now. You get what you put into it......... Don't hold back.....DO IT.... Maybe rent one for a week vacation to see if this is really what you want, and then start out with a used $5K unit and don't look back.......... God bless.........Dennis

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #17  
My wife and I lived in a camper for 5 years, the rubber broke and we got real. Pretty much any maker makes good stuff. PULL YOUR TRAILER WITH YOUR TRUCK, before you buy.

Lessens learned, get something with a real shower, that usually comes with a real pooper, real washer and dryer. Now that I drive trucks that I own, these are things you simply can not live without. They all have the rest of what you want or need. Shower and pooper that is yours, is the key to feel like you are at home.

You will know 1st day if the truck trailer combo isn't right. All that is the easy fix. Living on the road is the adjustment. SHOWER and POOPER are what will cement the deal.

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #18  
Many or most upright campers come with one bed and a sofa type bed. Make sure the bed is comfortable and big enough for you. I swapped our mattress with a queen mattress from the house and now I sleep really good while camping. Slide-outs are a must to maximize living space and to make it more comfortable.

Also make sure it has a decent toilet like the last poster mentioned.

Also make sure the weight rating is such that you can haul all your stuff. I have seen a few trailers that are heavy and won't allow many personal possessions without being overloaded.

Are there enough bays or places to store all your stuff?

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #19  
My wife and I lived in a camper for 5 years, the rubber broke and we got real. Pretty much any maker makes good stuff. PULL YOUR TRAILER WITH YOUR TRUCK, before you buy.

Lessens learned, get something with a real shower, that usually comes with a real pooper, real washer and dryer. Now that I drive trucks that I own, these are things you simply can not live without. They all have the rest of what you want or need. Shower and pooper that is yours, is the key to feel like you are at home.

You will know 1st day if the truck trailer combo isn't right. All that is the easy fix. Living on the road is the adjustment. SHOWER and POOPER are what will cement the deal.

So, BreadTrk, do you think that a SHOWER and a POOPER are important?? :laughing:

Interesting thread. My parents have had RVs ever since I can remember. When we were in Germany, we bought a 1970 Volkswagon Camper (no pooper) and went all over Europe in it. When we got back to the states we bought a pickup truck and a cab-over camper (only 8', no pooper). From there, it was a fifth-wheel (it had a pooper and a shower). When I was in college, they sold the fifth-wheel and bought a Class-C of some sort. (I don't remember if it had a pooper or not, but I think so.) Then they bought a 34' 1998 Airstream Class-A motor home. It had just about everything you could think of - shower, pooper, washer/dryer, corian countertops, multiple TV's, etc. I "camped" some in the fifth-wheel and did a trip with them about 5 years ago in the Airstream. I can't remember once ever actually using the internal bathroom facilities. Always went to the showerhouse at the campground.

Anyway, back on topic - those fiberglass trailers are really nice! I wouldn't mind making one of those into my retirement home on wheels if I can convince SWMBO!!

/ Travel Trailer Questions - thinking of a long trip #20  
I camped with my wife for over 25 years. Started out with a truck cover, graduated to a truck camper, two tag a longs, and then finally a fifth wheel. My dad has owned 7 RV's in his lifetime. I speak from experience. Several things to consider.

1. How mechanically inclined are you? Campers need constant attention. Lots of things to maintain. To me that was part of the allure of camping. I enjoyed making sure everything was in order and in good working condition. With that said issues still arise from time to time.

2. Keep the unit shedded or covered. Most units have rubber roofs and they will dry rot due to the sun. I think that most roof warranty's are 12 years.

3. Keep the tires covered and in good shape. Sun UV degradation and time are your enemies.

4. I would advise a tandem axle.

5. Make sure that you have access to a good dealer or support for warranty work or service if you are not mechanically inclined.

6. It is a lifestyle and an enjoyable one.

Keep us update on the purchase. RV.net has a great wealth of information.