Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #11  
I'm planning/thinking long term on what I need to buy. I'm in the process of buying my late brothers farm that's 60 miles away from my place. The two main reasons I'm doing this is that I believe it will significantly increase in value over time, and while I'm waiting to sell it, I want to make it a hay farm so I'm not dependent on finding people to buy hay from every year.

I need something to haul my tractors there, and then to haul hay back here.

My backhoe weighs 14,000 pounds. I'll only need it there to clear mesquite. I might leave it there for awhile, so there is the option of hiring somebody to haul it there, then haul it back when I'm done. I might also rent something local and have it delivered, but I'm not excited about that option.

My 70hp cab tractor weighs 9,000 pounds

My 65hp open station tractor weighs 5,000 pounds

So far I don't have any haying equipment, but whatever I buy, it will be a small round baler that I have enough power to run.

The 26,000 pound weight limit is something I want to stay under so I don't have to get a commercial drivers license. I had a Class A when I lived in California and I don't want to do that again.

My original plan was to find an older 3500 Ram diesel with a flatbed trailer, but the truck and trailer GVWR is way too high. Now I'm wondering if I should look at a 3/4 ton truck? and should I consider gas instead of diesel? Towing would be pretty straight each way. 45 minutes on Interstate 20, and 15 minutes on two Country Roads that's all flat land driving. It's not something I'll do every day, and probably just once a month except when haying and hauling hay two or 3 times a year depending on how much rain we get.

The less I spend the better, but it needs to be reliable. I'm nervous about a diesel truck with DEF. I'm also nervous about so many used diesels that have been Deleted. And I wonder if there is enough power with a gas engine? Finally, I'm hesitant to buy anything with single rear wheels. I'm sure they are capable, and I'm probably just worried about nothing, but I have it in my head that a dually is a must for towing heavy loads. Am I wrong? Am I dealing with enough weight to require dual rear wheels?

Since I'll be off pavement when on my farm and my brothers farm, I think that I need 4wheel drive. I don't need or really want 4 doors, or even the extra cab. I think that I'll save weight with a 2 door, single cab truck. I've been trying to find GVWR on different models of trucks, but they seem to be pretty generic in what I've found so far. Is there a lower GVWR on a single cab truck over a 4 door truck that can still haul a 14,000 pound backhoe?

Thank you
For what you wanting to haul and your needs a single cab four wheel dually may be preferable.
If possible a 7.3 or 12valve Cummins may be advisable. Pre the emission controls. It may be nesissary to spend money on the running gear and engine but would be much less than a newer truck would cost.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #12  
Have you thought about a class 6 medium duty truck? You can get them with long flatbeds up to 24' or so and skip the trailer altogether which saves you some gross combined weight. The flatbed also makes for a good hay hauler not to mention fencing logging etc. and also makes for a super stable mobile scaffolding platform

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #13  
I run a 2007 GMC Daully 4x4 classic plus a 30 foot big Tex gooseneck trailer. The truck gross is 11,400 the trailer gross is derated two 14,500. This gives me 25,900 to run down the road. The truck and trailer weigh 15,000 pounds. This gives me a payload of 10,900 pounds. I do not think you will be able to haul a 14,000 pound backhoe and be safe and under the 26,000 pounds.

I believe the empty weight of the truck and suitable trailer plus the 14,000 pounds will be way over 26,000.

I have seen on craigslist and Facebook guys that are willing to haul with their gooseneck. You might be able to find somebody local, but make sure they have insurance if they were hauling for hire.

I would insist on seeing a certificate of insurance. Just to make sure that you are covered.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #14  
Hauling a 14,000 pound backhoe under CDL is going to be difficult. A medium duty ramp truck would be the best chance. I doubt you’ll find a truck with enough payload and low enough empty weight to make that happen either. It sounds like a good time to pull out the farm tags and just haul it. You really need a 20k rated trailer to haul the backhoe and nothing has the capability to pull that without adding more than 6k pounds.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #15  
Ive upfit a bunch of trucks so ive had to calculate trailer, truck, and load capacity quite a bit. I don't know your states farm laws but regardless your only way of personally hauling something that size will be under farm exemption laws because there is no way to set up a rig under cdl-a to haul that kind of weight. a CDL-A is required not only for a truck of 26k+ but also any trailer over 10k when hauling commercially. So, no matter what, hauling on a trailer wont fly. The 26k trucks that I've upfit always end up to be a minimum 13k lbs empty but thats with only a 10-12ft bed. The 2 trucks that Ive set up with 16ft beds ended up at 16k. I think any straight truck built to handle a 14k backhoe would end up at least 18k empty.

I'm pretty sure that you just need to get a 26k goose neck and plate it for farm use.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #16  
Am I reading this correctly? If the truck and trailer are both registered as "Farm" vehicles, and I'm not using them for hire, but I am using them to transport farm equipment or feed, like round bales of hay, then the weight limit of 26,000 pounds doesn't apply?
Yes, that is right.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #17  
Hire a float truck

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #18  
Ive upfit a bunch of trucks so ive had to calculate trailer, truck, and load capacity quite a bit. I don't know your states farm laws but regardless your only way of personally hauling something that size will be under farm exemption laws because there is no way to set up a rig under cdl-a to haul that kind of weight. a CDL-A is required not only for a truck of 26k+ but also any trailer over 10k when hauling commercially. So, no matter what, hauling on a trailer wont fly. The 26k trucks that I've upfit always end up to be a minimum 13k lbs empty but thats with only a 10-12ft bed. The 2 trucks that Ive set up with 16ft beds ended up at 16k. I think any straight truck built to handle a 14k backhoe would end up at least 18k empty.

I'm pretty sure that you just need to get a 26k goose neck and plate it for farm use.

In Texas and most of the United States, the above underlined statement is not correct. I believe California and New York have such a requirement, but it is not a federal requirement and most states follow the Federal guidelines. A Medical card is likely required for commercial use, but if your GCWR is 26,000 pounds or less you do not need a CDL (with exceptions for haz-mat or >15 passengers).

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #19  
I never heard of a CDL Agricultural Exemption before!!!! Thank you for bringing it up.

I did a search and found this https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/CVE-13.pdf

On page 5, it says this
"What is a Covered Farm Vehicle? (FMCSR 390.5)

(a) Means a straight truck or articulated vehicle:

(1) Registered in a State with a license plate or other designation issued by the State of registration that allows law enforcement officials to identify it as a farm vehicle; Note: The Texas Department of Public Safety has designated form CVE-30 as that identification. http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/CVE-30.pdf

(2) Operated by the owner or operator of a farm or ranch, or an employee of family member of an owner or operator of a farm or ranch;

(3) Used to transport agricultural commodities, livestock, machinery or supplies to or from a farm or ranch; and

(4) Not used in for-hire motor carrier operations; however, for-hire motor carrier operations do not include the operation of a vehicle meeting the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) through (3) of this definition by a tenant pursuant to a crop share farm lease agreement to transport the landlord’s portion of the crops under that agreement.

(b) Meeting the requirements of paragraphs (a)(1) through (4) of this definition:

(1) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of 26,001 pounds or less may utilize the exemptions in 390.39 anywhere in the United States; or

(2) With a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating, whichever is greater, of more than 26,001 pounds may utilize the exemptions in 390.39 anywhere in the State of registration or across State lines within 150 air miles of the farm or ranch with respect to which the vehicle is being operated."

Then on page 6 there's this
"**CDL Exceptions

(a) Farm vehicle drivers are exempt from CDL requirements if:

(1) Used to transport their own agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from their farm;

(2) Used within 150 miles of the person’s farm."

Am I reading this correctly? If the truck and trailer are both registered as "Farm" vehicles, and I'm not using them for hire, but I am using them to transport farm equipment or feed, like round bales of hay, then the weight limit of 26,000 pounds doesn't apply?

I decided NOT to tag my vehicles as farm vehicles for the simple reason I want to also use them off farm to make extra money doing other things.

I could probably get away with it, but it would become a life of having to make excuses as to what my truck is being used for.

I see “Farm Truck” tagged trucks everywhere being used for obvious off-farm tasks. Good for them, but knowing my luck, I’d get caught. However, if you only use the truck within the framework of a “farm truck”, then there’s no reason not to take advantage of what is offered. It will save you registration costs.

I have plans for a long flatbed truck to haul hay soon and it will definitely be registered as one.

Eddie, on the truck itself my choice would be a Ram DRW 3500/4500/5500 or similar Ford or GM 350/450/550 3500/4500/5500 etc. DRW is your friend here. They have a much more stable and predictable rear axle platform for towing.

/ Truck & Trailer ideas to tow 14,000 and be under 26,000 pounds #20  
Eddie,

This from the Texas DL Handbook. I am looking at a new Big Tex 22GN. I will have Big Tex show 20K on the VIN plate and title instead of 22K.

1672924205567.png