Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #11  
Great find. I love checking out Craigslist every day for those things that I need, but I'm not in a rush to buy. Sometimes you can find a really great deal there.

Before moving here, I had a 97 F-250 with the powerstroke engine and absolutley loved it. I averaged 18mpg with it and could pass other vehicles at 80mph going up the mountains to Tahoe with power to spare!!!! I sold it for what I paid for it so that I cold get rid of a $500 a month payment before quiting my job and moving here. I sometimes regret that decision since it was such a great truck, but starting out here with that monthly payment would have really been a burden that I didn't want to deal with.

Now the new diesels get lousy milage and cost too much when compared to gas. I think the day of the diesel pickup for most is definately declining.

Eddie

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #12  
I sold my really clean 95 PSD 4x4 over a year ago to buy a new dodge 5.9 after seeing all the emissioin BS coming out on the 08 diesels.. On the bright side of a kid with money wanted it bad, ended getting $15,500 for her only had 110K miles..

Really miss the full size rear seat and the power of the 7.3 :(

DSCF1678.JPG

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #13  
I sold my really clean 95 PSD 4x4 over a year ago to buy a new dodge 5.9 after seeing all the emissioin BS coming out on the 08 diesels.. On the bright side of a kid with money wanted it bad, ended getting $15,500 for her only had 110K miles..

View attachment 108685

While your truck is in VERY nice looking shape...$15,500 for a 12 year old truck? I think money was all that kid had! Good for you!

Rob

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #14  
Maybe it was the dually Cab and Chassis trucks that had the fuel selector switch issues. Also could be the sick amount of road salt we see in MA. I'm surprised that nobody else does have U joint issues though. My fathers 95 had such tiny little U joints for a 1 ton truck. Again, that could be duty of the truck to, I guess. His plowed snow, sanded, towed and hauled all its life. Still does with the new owner.

And yes I regret not buying it from my father... wasn't thinking straight.

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #15  
I have a '94 F250 with the 7.3 N/A. It is a beautiful truck. One thing I am doing is adding some B20 to the tank for added lubricity. Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place has a good article about this. I add enough to make about a 2% bio.

The great thing is that this is not considered to be an additive so you do not have to be concerned about mixing your medicines.;) (cetane additive, antigel, ect).

I also add this to my tractors.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #16  
I'm in a similar boat. I just picked up a 2000 4x4 powerstroke F350 with the crew cab. I put 150,000 hard miles on a gas half ton before this switch and plan to tow my tractor tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the torque.

My research has shown pretty minor issues with the engine itself. More likely issues will be the front end- ball joints and hub bearings. I picked up the front end and neither tire rocked top to bottom so I am guessing that some work has already been done. All disc brakes are easys to service.

Why must these one ton trucks sit so high in the air???? It is not lifted and has normal tires on it but the bloody bed rails are almost chin high. Long gone are the days of resting your elbows on the bedrail to grab a chainsaw from the front of the bed.

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #17  
i'd like to have that exact truck in a std. shift......

i think you did really well, they aren't bringing that now.......over-all

View attachment 108685

/ Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice
Yep, although my truck has lots of stuff, it NEEDS running boards and a tailgate step of some sort.. am looking into those now... and watching Craig's list.

Anybody tried a receiver folding cargo carrier as a step assist behind a pickup? Comments?

I want wheel well to wheel well running boards so you can reach the front of the bed as well as the vehicle seats. So far study says it's going to be a little difficult to locate such running boards...that these kinda were started being made for '99 and newer models... which will not fit a "97 F350 ... so am told. I'd really like to find some that fit existing bolt/holes, don't want to start drilling and welding:eek:

I get happier and happier with the pickup... just got a note from the prior owner telling me all he did to it while he had it... so I will know when maintenance is needed.... Here's the list of what he changed and an estimate as to how long it has been...:)
Serpintine Belt- 15k miles
Engine Oil- 2k Miles (Delo 400)
Transmission Fluid- 5k Miles (Full Synthetic Mobil1)
A/C Fan Motor- 500 Miles
Tires- 8k Miles
Rear End- I have not serviced this unit.
Shocks (All 4)- 8k Miles
Front Rotors/ Pads/ Wheel Bearings- 5k Miles
Blue Star Headlight Lamps- 2k Miles
Stereo- 15k Miles
Windshield- 8k Miles
Window Tint- 15k Miles
Took Box and Bed Rail Covers- 5k Miles
Clutch/ Brake Pedal Bushing Replacement- 15k Miles
Fuel Pump- 15k Miles
Fuel Pressure Regulator- 5k Miles
Fuel Filter- 5k Miles
Cold Air Intake System- 2k Miles
Large Exhaust Muffler Delete- 15k Miles

I can't wait to HAUL with it!

Last edited:
   / Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #19  
Yep, although my truck has lots of stuff, it NEEDS running boards and a tailgate step of some sort.. am looking into those now... and watching Craig's list.

I want wheel well to wheel well running boards so you can reach the front of the bed as well as the vehicle seats. So far study says it's going to be a little difficult to locate such running boards...that these kinda were started being made for '99 and newer models... which will not fit a "97 F350 ... so am told. I'd really like to find some that fit existing bolt/holes, don't want to start drilling and welding:eek:
there are several people on ebay that sell them, I would look in a JY for a E350 van and see if that is the same length, if so there are full length running boards available for vans that should fit a F350.
(see the Ebay auction #250284832885 for an example mounted on a van)
on a truck however you may need to get 2 piece running boards, one piece for the cab and one piece for the bed section...

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Tundra vs F350: how I made my choice #20  
1997 Ford CC F350 XLT Dually 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel w/5speed std. trans, lots of power and COLD AIR
This truck is in excellent condition: $5000 cash.
AND, it was about 1 mile away! I drove it and had my mechanic look it over. This truck had been babied and in nearly perfect cosmetic shape. Absolutely no findable mechanical concerns. Huge numbers of you TBN folks claim that the Navistar 7.3 has extreme reliability... never having owned a diesel, I hope so, and you better be right... because:
I bought it:)
)
The first thing I'd do to that truck is put a dump bed on it.
There is a place advertising free fill dirt not to far from me.
If i had a truck like that with a dump bed I'd be hualing me some of it tomorrow morning.
This is the 3 rd time I've missed out on getting free dirt because of nothing to haul it with.
OUCH THAT HURTS.